.25 taper

[...]

I've been taking .25mg nightly for 8 years now, I have decided to taper off.

I talked with my Doctor and he told me to just stop in the next 30-60 days, he did not give me any kind of plan.

I reached out to a pharmacist that told me to just half the pill for 7-8 days and then stop taking it, that seemed a bit much as

I'm in no hurry, so I searched a bit on the internet and seen a good recommendation was to cut 25% off every 7-8 days???

I recently cut 25% the .25mg for 7-8 days, while I did feel a bit of anxiety it wasn't to bad, I then went to .125mg and on my forth day in

had a bad anxiety attack, one that I have not had in years, I ended up taking a .125mg to chill the anxiety attack but now I have my normal dose

of .125mg coming up in a few hours.

I'm not sure what to do here...

I feel like a failure. 

Hopefully this post makes some sense.

I would love a easier way to taper, maybe 5% off every 10 days or so.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

First of all, you're not a failure.  You knew to question your doctor, the pharmacist, and the online recommendation.  At this point, I'd consider maintaining a .25 mg daily dosage until you feel stabilized.  Then, like you're thinking, go slower.  The recommended pace here is 5 - 10% of the current dosage every 10 to 14 days.  You could make a 5% cut and hold for 10-14 days and see how your symptoms, if any, are doing.  The key is to let your symptoms dictate your taper and adjust it accordingly.  Good luck to you.

First of all, you're not a failure.  You knew to question your doctor, the pharmacist, and the online recommendation.  At this point, I'd consider maintaining a .25 mg daily dosage until you feel stabilized.  Then, like you're thinking, go slower.  The recommended pace here is 5 - 10% of the current dosage every 10 to 14 days.  You could make a 5% cut and hold for 10-14 days and see how your symptoms, if any, are doing.  The key is to let your symptoms dictate your taper and adjust it accordingly.  Good luck to you.

What would be the easiest way to to the 5 - 10% off every 10-14 days?

I never really considered this but if I'm taking a .25mg daily is it leaving my system before the next dose causing withdrawal or is the xanax in my

system long enough between doses?

Thank you.

What would be the easiest way to to the 5 - 10% off every 10-14 days?

I never really considered this but if I'm taking a .25mg daily is it leaving my system before the next dose causing withdrawal or is the xanax in my

system long enough between doses?

Thank you.

It's hard to know which way is easiest.  Maybe titration, which is a method better answered by Libertas or another member.  If you want to know more about titration, you can post a thread to the titration board on the forum. 

As for me, I shave my tablets and weigh them on a gram scale (GEM20 model).  I use a metal nail file, and with practice, I've become quite good at it.

Xanax has a short half-life, so if your interdose symptoms become intolerable, you can spread the daily doses, into, say, 4 doses to keep your serum levels even.  Another option is to cross over to Valium, but this can be fraught with difficulties including depression.

I haven't really thought about interdose, I have been taking a .25mg nightly.

I could possibly do .125 twice a day, but wouldn't that make it a bit harder to taper off?

I know that xanax half life is 11 hours, so by the time I take my nightly dose does that mean the xanax has cleared my system

and is withdrawing?

I really appreciate the help.

I haven't really thought about interdose, I have been taking a .25mg nightly.

I could possibly do .125 twice a day, but wouldn't that make it a bit harder to taper off?

I know that xanax half life is 11 hours, so by the time I take my nightly dose does that mean the xanax has cleared my system

and is withdrawing?

I really appreciate the help.

If you do split dosage, it would make the taper a bit harder since you'd be working with 2 or more pieces.

If Xanax's half-life is 11 hours, then by the time you take your next dose, only about 20% of the previous dose will be in your system.

Thank you, I think I will just stick it out with the .25 once daily and stabilize and then try again.

I will cut 10% off every 14 days, I think that would be the best route, I really want to be done with the daily dose.

My anxiety hasn't been to bad throughout the day until I started trying to ween off to fast I think, I also don't think I'm having

any interdosing withdrawals, at least I haven't ever really noticed it.

Does it take time to stabilize?

Yes, if unstable one's symptoms have ramped up to the point of being intolerable, not just uncomfortable.  Often it takes a holding period for the symptoms to die down to a more tolerable level.  The holding period allows the mind and body to acclimate, or catch up, to the reduction.

I spoke with my Doctor he recommended that I start taking a .25 to .50 twice a day to get my Anxiety back under control.

While I hate to have to take more, I might just have to at this time since my Anxiety has become severe again...

Its not just a little anxiety, its from the time I wake until the time I sleep.

I'm gonna stay on the .25 at night to stabilize, and if I absolutely have to take another .25 during the day I will but will not put it on

a schedule, I will only take if I start having panic attacks.

I seem to go though this at least once a year.

Hopefully stabilization does not take long, I only tapered for 10 days and bounced right back to my original dose.

If Xanax's half-life is 11 hours, then by the time you take your next dose, only about 20% of the previous dose will be in your system.

Sorry for bothering you again, its hard to find any good info on this so your are my go to.

If I still have 20% in my system then if I did have any kind of withdrawal it would be minor correct?

Would the withdrawal symptoms be more towards the end of the night when its getting closer to my next dose?

Thanks again as always.

Sorry for bothering you again, its hard to find any good info on this so your are my go to.

If I still have 20% in my system then if I did have any kind of withdrawal it would be minor correct?

Would the withdrawal symptoms be more towards the end of the night when its getting closer to my next dose?

Thanks again as always.

1) The withdrawal wouldn't necessarily be minor, but the residual 20% should help somewhat. 

2) Yes, the withdrawal symptoms would be more apt to intensify or appear closer to your next dose.

Hope this helps..