Rapid to slow

[Jo...]

8 weeks ago I became very focused on tapering with a goal of being off Valium & Clonazepam by Feb 2023. I’d already been experiencing WD symptoms over past few months on a stable dose (tolerance? Still unfamiliar with all the tapering terms). I quickly tapered down from 12.5mg V & 0.5 C to current dose of 4.5mg V & 0.125mg C. My body is in a constant state of disequilibrium causing many physical & psychological symptoms. Intuitively I feel I need to slow down this taper. Is it ok to continue on at a much slower rate? 5% every 2-4 weeks? I’m confused about the next step in this journey. This is probably due to experiencing cognitive decline from rapid taper. If anyone can please help I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Hi Joanne

If you made those cuts over just two months it's considered very big and fast reductions. I would not be surprised if you're struggling. You also need to remember that cuts have an accumulation effect, so if you continuously cut big the withdrawal effects of those cuts will increase and intensify over time. I would strongly urge you to hold your doses of both Valium and Clonazepam for at least a month so your body has time to catch up. You'll need to monitor your symptoms to see if it gets worse or hopefully gets better. Both these drugs have a very long half-life so it takes quite a long time to feel the full effect of the cuts.

And yes, please slow down your taper to 5% every 2-4 weeks. It's a marathon not a race. You want to be functional while you get off the drugs. Tapering is only one aspect of the journey. Once you're off then you still have to recover from the damage. Ceasing benzo's does not mean instant recovery. There is still a long road ahead. Experience has shown if your taper is less symptomatic then you have a better chance of a less symptomatic recovery.

When you start tapering again we should also look at how you go about it. Generally we recommend only tapering one benzo at a time.

I hope your symptoms settle down soon.

Thank you. Yes, I agree & I have been barely functional. Nice & slow from here on in. I appreciate everything you have said. Time to hold.

If you are struggling really badly, you could consider an updose. When I made huge cuts I became progressively worse and eventually I was bedridden. It was too painful for me to remain like that, so I updosed and I recovered. I just want you to know it is an option. You do not have to suffer if you're struggling.  :smitten:

If you want to updose I would suggest you go up to 8mg Valium and 0.25mg Clonazepam.

When you increased your dose did you wait to stabilise then recommence taper?

Yes, I updosed, then I held that new dose for about a month and then I tapered down.  :thumbsup:

You are welcome Joanne. Unfortunately most of us learned the hard way because we just didn't know. I had no idea what was happening to me when I became so sick and that's when I found this place out of desperation. We are all just sharing our collective experiences and knowledge.  :hug:

Hello jelly baby. It’s been a few days since we exchanged messages. I updosed as you suggested & starting to feel a little better. Sleep has improved a bit. I wanted to say thank you once again for your advice. It was definitely what I needed.

What wonderful news! I am so glad you're seeing some improvement. It's really not worth suffering through this if we can be functional. I hope you continue to level out. Please keep us updated on your progress.  :smitten: