Stress induced insomnia setback

[Fi...]

Well, it's been over 2 years but it finally happened again, I had a 0 hour night. It's been complete with all the hallmarks of old,  intense fatigue, panic, pain, shaking, racing heart, unrelenting crying etc. If I didn't know any better I'd say I've been teleported right back into the thick of it.

Think I'm around 40 hours awake right now, nearing the second day. Brain thinks I'm completely screwed like it used to. Says I'll never sleep again etc etc. It lies, but drives a rough debate.

Anyways, didn't take anything, didn't eat anything new. It has weeks and weeks of compounding emotional stress that pulled this one into existence. Keep trying to sleep but you all know what happens. Say it with me now, hypnic jerks. Such a pain. Agony beyond agony to start to slip into oh and jerk awake.

Before this sleep was getting a little iffy from stress. Typically I'd gotten to the point where I was getting at least 6 hours a night, super blessed considering the hell I went through earlier on in this mess. I'll probably sleep sometime tonight but oh boy in case I don't, posting in here for posterity and probably habit.

Hang in there friends, it's the biggest beast in town.

I got to sleep probably a few hours after I made this post. Definitely feel like I've been hit by a truck but, thankful I sleep any amount after that madness. Zero hour nights are the absolute worst in this nightmare.

Can't believe I deal with the same damn stuff so many years later. Well, at least it's much more few and far between than it used to be.

sorry, i dealt with this about 10 years ago when i got off of valium. Had many days of 0 sleep which is the worst i agree. If it was just being tired thats one thing, but high anxiety always for me accompanies a night with zero sleep, followed by my mind going nuts all day telling me lies like im crazy and will never sleep again, which is then why you dont sleep the next night either. Its the worst. I was stupid and took up benzos again and here i am again, once in a while having a zero night sleep and panicking. And yep once your do that the 2nd night you have that BS going on where you start to fall asleep and jerk away, if i fall asleep 10 times ill jerk awake 10 times.  I dont understand why that is, i asked my councelor and she said its because sleep has become such a huge deal to you at this point that your subconcious doesnt really get whats going on, only knows that sleep is a huge issue so when you fall asleep your subconcious says NO! wakeup theres something about sleep thats really disturbing you, i dont know what it is maybe its that you shouldnt fall to sleep! Its a huge mess. Im currently trying out EMDR therapy for insomnia, hoping that if i can get to the point where i dont care if i stay awake, then i wont. EMDR has been very helpfull in past for me to get over phobias, which is what this is a fear of not falling asleep. Thats what makes me at least not sleep. Like i use to have a fear of elevators, after EMDR the fear was gone. Get in an elevator, made no more difference to me than getting a glass of water. Hoping that same theory can work for my sleep. Dont fall asleep? Makes no difference to me just sucks, like everyone else. I think that in itself will help to relieve the anxiety surrounding not sleeping. Hoping at least.

Well, it's been over 2 years but it finally happened again, I had a 0 hour night. It's been complete with all the hallmarks of old,  intense fatigue, panic, pain, shaking, racing heart, unrelenting crying etc. If I didn't know any better I'd say I've been teleported right back into the thick of it.

Think I'm around 40 hours awake right now, nearing the second day. Brain thinks I'm completely screwed like it used to. Says I'll never sleep again etc etc. It lies, but drives a rough debate.

Anyways, didn't take anything, didn't eat anything new. It has weeks and weeks of compounding emotional stress that pulled this one into existence. Keep trying to sleep but you all know what happens. Say it with me now, hypnic jerks. Such a pain. Agony beyond agony to start to slip into oh and jerk awake.

Before this sleep was getting a little iffy from stress. Typically I'd gotten to the point where I was getting at least 6 hours a night, super blessed considering the hell I went through earlier on in this mess. I'll probably sleep sometime tonight but oh boy in case I don't, posting in here for posterity and probably habit.

Hang in there friends, it's the biggest beast in town.

Hey Fighting Fox,

Yup, insomnia and stress will do it.

I had a bout of insomnia and stress 5 years out (it took a big hit to do it), but was setback to almost square.

Even until thuis day, I get derealization sometimes, but it's stress related...can't blame the klonopin at 10 years off.

You have to watch emotional stress and insomnia because it makes the CNS all hyped up and stressed out.

I wonder if melatonin would help you, or maybe something that doesn't cause addiction or jeopardizes your nervous system.

Obviously,  there's still more neurogenesis going on with you; you're still recovering in the background.

I never had insomnia until I hot around 40...

Never thought I would have it, but I do sometimes. It's hard to fall asleep, and the next day...it's zombieland.

Especially 40 and above! Youth isn't what it was, when you could party all night and sit up around the clock.

Anyway, hope you find sleep soon. 😴

• Like 1