Study, Jul/22: Benzodiazepine use and the risk of dementia

[La...]

"Benzodiazepine use and the risk of dementia"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35874428/

Abstract

Introduction: Benzodiazepines (BZDs) are commonly prescribed for anxiety and agitations, which are early symptoms of Alzheimer's disease and related dementias (ADRD). It is unclear whether BZDs causally affect ADRD risk or are prescribed in response to early symptoms of dementia.

Methods: We replicate prior case-control studies using longitudinal Medicare claims. To mitigate bias from prodromal use, we compare rates of ADRD diagnosis for beneficiaries exposed and unexposed to BZDs for cervical/lumbar pain, stenosis, and sciatica, none of which are associated with dementia.

Results: Approximately 8% of Medicare beneficiaries used a BZD in 2007, increasing to nearly 13% by 2013. Estimates from case-control designs are sensitive to duration of look-back period, health histories, medication use, and exclusion of decedents. Incident BZD use is not associated with an increased risk of dementia in an "uncontaminated" sample of beneficiaries prescribed a BZD for pain (odds ratios (ORs) of 1.007 [95% confidence interval [CI] = 0.885, 1.146] and 0.986 [95% CI = 0.877, 1.108], respectively, in the 2013 and 2013 to 2015 pooled samples). Higher levels of BZD exposure (>365 days over a 2-year period) are associated with increased odds of a dementia diagnosis, but the results are not statistically significant at the 5% or 10% levels (1.190 [95% CI = 0.925, 1.531] and 1.167 [95% CI = 0.919, 1.483]).

Discussion: We find little evidence of a causal relation between BZD use and dementia risk. Nonetheless, providers should limit the extended use in elderly populations.

Full Paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9297381/

It seems everything can cause dementia just like cancer.

Honestly, I don't buy necessarily psychotropic drugs cause alzheimers... it's probable just like eating too many onions can cause cancer.

The truth is, alzheimers is something that's still mysterious. Last I heard, it's due to synapses collapsing or something along the lines of acetylcholine not functioning correctly.

Noone knows much about alzheimers beyond theory.

I personally believe like anything else within the body, the synapses wear down as we age...seems logical enough for me.

The mind becomes foggy, whereas only memory is functioning.

Maybe that's why alzheimers patients go back to the past...

It's all theory...

There's nothing that proves a longtime user of psychotropic drugs (benzos or ssris) get alzheimers.

Where something like smoking causes cancer is proven.

Thanks for the article though.  😊

Edit:

Many patients with alzheimers do take a benzo: usually Xanax or Ativan.

I've never delivered a patient with alzheimers klonopin or Valium off the med cart.

I've even seen patients with alzheimers prescribed oxycontin, not ONLY for pain but its euphoric effects help depression.

The medications prescribed in nursing homes and the reasons why...can be rather offlabel or whatever purpose to benefit the patient.

There have been many, many studies on this topic, but I don't think anyone has proven causality at this point. Assocation? Yes, but causality -- well, that's very difficult to prove.