Is my depression from withdrawal?

[th...]

Hi all

Honestly I’ve struggled with depression and anxiety my entire life. I’m sure this has been addressed in this vast resourceful site, but I’m honestly just looking for support.

I went from 1mg klonopin for at least 2 years and only took a month to get off. Anxiety and insomnia were my biggest issues (still are), but depression has become the worst I’ve ever felt in my entire life. I’m usually a joyful person really, but now I just find my face not only frowning but constantly sad. I’m so heartbroken that I feel so hopeless.

I’m over 5 months completely off. Why am I so incredibly depressed? I’m already trying to wean off gabapentin and I’m on 200mg of lamictal. I don’t want to add another med :(

Thanks all

Hey there thisisdifficult.  Depression may be the worst of the worst symptoms.  I had this in my taper, post taper and post setback. I too suffered with some mild seasonal and situational depression too before this nightmare.  For me it got better but I had to really dig in during the down days and try to pull myself out of it - not easy!  Things that helped and still help me:  getting sun every day, exercise whether I wanted to or not, getting out where there are people - somehow the energy of the people running around seemed to help, talking to people or someone every day, creating something to look forward to - for me I shopped online and had a package delivered every day haha.  I also found that volunteering helped. 

I know everyone is different and none of these may work for you.  You have to find what works by trying different things.  If all else fails distract, distract, distract.

I dont know if any of this is helping but I truly hope you find peace soon!!

:smitten:

• Like 1

I just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat.  I think I am going to need an SSRI.  The advice about getting out everyday is very good.  When I feel like I can't stand myself crying and miserable, I'll get mad at myself, and either walk or go for a drive.  Music on the car radio is usually on point to uplift me a little bit.  I know it is really hard to get out when you just don't know when you'll have a crying jag...  Just know you are not alone.

If the depression is too bad, you could try an ssri...taper it later.

Maybe Celexa or something that can buffer the depression. I've known ppl to do it.

Just be careful about throwing a log on top of an already burning fire, as they say.

Good luck to you. 💗

• 2 weeks later...

Gabapentin and Lamictal isn't going to do much for depression. I know they can be used offlabel, but they're not so strong at tackling depression.

And please be careful when tapering Lamictal; it can cause seizures and other issues.

And to answer your question with a question:

Does the depression you have now feel like the depression prior to before? If not, then no...

I hope you start feeling better soon. 🌞

Depression is always tough! 💔

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Honestly I’ve struggled with depression and anxiety my entire life. I’m sure this has been addressed in this vast resourceful site, but I’m honestly just looking for support.

I went from 1mg klonopin for at least 2 years and only took a month to get off. Anxiety and insomnia were my biggest issues (still are), but depression has become the worst I’ve ever felt in my entire life. I’m usually a joyful person really, but now I just find my face not only frowning but constantly sad. I’m so heartbroken that I feel so hopeless.

I’m over 5 months completely off. Why am I so incredibly depressed? I’m already trying to wean off gabapentin and I’m on 200mg of lamictal. I don’t want to add another med :(

Thanks all

My depression got much worse after I realized I was probably in the tolerance phase. Previous depressions felt very, very different. ADs never helped me and I tried many. All SSRIs failed. I had no idea clonopin was a benzo! No clue, but my anxiety lessened for some time.

This depression feels different. Unmotivated, joyless dysthymia. Lots of GI issues, but that could be anxiety. I’m also around your age, which might matter. 20+ years on clonopin is not good, but I am doing the slower than hell taper.

Dr. suggested possibly trying older AD (imipramine), but it’s seriously not recommended for people over 65. (Idiot) I’m going to try to go it “clean” unless the symptoms of original depression (secondary to anxiety) become unbearable. A friend had an awful time getting off Gabapentin because it was much like a benzo. Hopefully, you’ll taper off your additional drugs down the road, but you’ll know what to expect and that the body does heal. Don’t let anyone push you though.

So, for me, I believe the increased depression is due to withdrawal, plus having a very limited life due to new underlying high-risk comorbidities for severe Covid. I decided to come off clonopin when I was told I could not take Paxlovid if I contracted Covid. Fine if you’re young and healthy. Unfortunately, that is not my reality.

I do know how you feel. We just have to muddle through and practice taking care of ourselves.

❤️

I wonder this constantly. I don't remember ever dealing with depression until I was on benzos, tapered, and off, almost 9 months now.

But, I was put on meds at an extremely young age (11). My benzo use is fuzzy (shocker) especially in my young years, but I know I was taking them at least here-and-there in high school and especially through college. That's when I noticed my depression started.

That depression in the beginning was very annoying, kinda like "why do I have no motivation and everything just sucks...especially on this beautiful day?" and then changed recently (towards the end of use) to complete and utter despair, bracing for dear life when a wave would hit, to not thinking I'd be able to make the next minute. Just absolutely terrible.

I did start Cymbalta and Trileptal in the past months and I seem to be a bit better. I know eventually I'll have to taper off those, but hopefully at that point the storm of WD (or what I think is WD) will have passed and it will be a bit easier.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am just 77 days off Klonopin and have been struggling with a huge wave of depression.  I took myself off Zoloft a year ago but have been debating on restarting at a low dose to take the edge off. This impending doom and complete isolation has me just miserable! I just wanted to let you know your not alone. I am new here so still trying to figure things out, i apologize in advance if this isnt an ok place to comment/respond. I hope your days get better.

Hi,

I am just 77 days off Klonopin and have been struggling with a huge wave of depression.  I took myself off Zoloft a year ago but have been debating on restarting at a low dose to take the edge off. This impending doom and complete isolation has me just miserable! I just wanted to let you know your not alone. I am new here so still trying to figure things out, i apologize in advance if this isnt an ok place to comment/respond. I hope your days get better.

If Zoloft worked for you in the past and you were able to discontinue it without too much trouble, then trying it again is a perfectly reasonable option IMO.