High cortisol in Morning

[ke...]

Hi,

I think I must have extremely high cortisol in the morning, as I wake up many times during the week about 2 hours before I am supposed to get up.

I do take melatonin, I do have a light box, I try to exercise during the day to help with the circadian rhythm.

The irritability in the early morning indicates the high cortisol. 

Anything else that one has used that has helped lower cortisol levels?

Thanks. 

The time you have dinner at night or you stop snacking has a lot to do with your cortisol levels during the night or the first hours in the morning.

I noticed that having a late dinner or snaking before bed makes me feel more anxious or nervous in the morning or well before my normal wake up time so I decided to have at least a 2hs. gap or more between last meal and bed time.  It is also advisable to get in bed well before midnight and have a routine of going and wakening up at the same time.

Talking about circadian rhythm you do well exercising in the morning and not late in the afternoon. A good physical activity is key to have a good night sleep.

Another thing to consider is the type of food you take at night. 

I've been practicing all the above and it really worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Mice   

Thanks.  Yes, I don’t go for last minute snacks like I did many years ago.  Partially because my gallbladder was removed and I typically eat smaller meals, and less fat.  I most typically will just hydrate the couple hours before bed.  But that might also disrupt my sleep cycle, as getting up to go the bathroom can be upsetting.  Most nights, I get back to sleep, but, just the fact of getting up at night is an interruption.  I haven’t had a night where I slept right through for 7 to 8 hours in some time. 

I don’t normally eat dinner later than 7 pm. 

Hi,

I think I must have extremely high cortisol in the morning, as I wake up many times during the week about 2 hours before I am supposed to get up.

I do take melatonin, I do have a light box, I try to exercise during the day to help with the circadian rhythm.

Thanks.

You're not imagining it: it is in fact higher in the morning.

Sometimes,  it can be higher in the evening as the sun sets as well. It's cyclic, if you ask me.

The cortisol curve plays a part in how you feel throughout the day.

I am healed, but even I can feel effects from the curve: sometimes fatigue in the evening, and no amount of coffee will pick me up.

Orrr

Sometimes in the morning, wake up at 4:00 am and can't go back to sleep....it's all cortisol for me.

You can find lists of foods that help lower cortisol levels. That said, I'm not sure how much in wd it will help.

Good luck to you.

The time you have dinner at night or you stop snacking has a lot to do with your cortisol levels during the night or the first hours in the morning.

I noticed that having a late dinner or snaking before bed makes me feel more anxious or nervous in the morning or well before my normal wake up time so I decided to have at least a 2hs. gap or more between last meal and bed time.  It is also advisable to get in bed well before midnight and have a routine of going and wakening up at the same time.

Talking about circadian rhythm you do well exercising in the morning and not late in the afternoon. A good physical activity is key to have a good night sleep.

Another thing to consider is the type of food you take at night. Hi histamine foods make ramp up cortisol levels.

Hope this helps.

Mice 

Yup, this is all true and good advice.

Late dinners or snacking at night can cause surges in the am...specifically around 4:00 am or a little earlier all the way upto 9:00 or 10:00 am.

It's hard not to eat at night sometimes,  but best to eat earlier than let's say 8:00 pm.

Another thing to consider is the type of food you take at night. Hi histamine foods make ramp up cortisol levels.

Hope this helps.

Mice 

Hi mice

I have been looking at high histimine foods. What ones are you trying to avoid? Many of our dishes here use tomatoes and I think they are one. Many thanks MP

Hi,

Thanks.

Sometimes,  it can be higher in the evening as the sun sets as well. It's cyclic, if you ask me.

I am healed, but even I can feel effects from the curve: sometimes fatigue in the evening, and no amount of coffee will pick me up.

Orrr

Sometimes in the morning, wake up at 4:00 am and can't go back to sleep....it's all cortisol for me.

You can find lists of foods that help lower cortisol levels. That said, I'm not sure how much in wd it will help.

Good luck to you.

Dragoon - what are the main foods you are avoiding? Thank you

Hi,

Thanks.

Orrr

Good luck to you.

Dragoon - what are the main foods you are avoiding? Thank you

I try to eat foods that are healthy and more on the "natural side" without chemicals, but that can be hard to do honestly. 

I suggest eating avocados, bananas,  apples, turkey, cheese, tuna, peanut butter, eggs and more eggs, fortified cereal and cook in olive oil. There's many other foods that help lower cortisol.

I would stay away from onions for sure, because it can anger anxiety I find.

Red meat, spices, sugar and so on anger anxiety.

Oatmeal is good as well to eat.

You could probably tolerate some sugar, but not a pound cake or the entire box of Hostess, lol.

Listen to your body.

What does it tell you about your diet? Use your intuition.

And to add: you can create a snack mix of cereal, peanuts, raisins, sunflower seeds and so on. You could probably even get by with yogurt covered pretzels.

Eggs are the best I find, although I don't buy eggs at the store. We have chickens outside that gives us eggs.

The more natural the better. You could probably find someone who would give you, or sell you chicken eggs if you live in a rural area.

And to add: you can create a snack mix of cereal, peanuts, raisins, sunflower seeds and so on. You could probably even get by with yogurt covered pretzels.

Eggs are the best I find, although I don't buy eggs at the store. We have chickens outside that gives us eggs.

The more natural the better. You could probably find someone who would give you, or sell you chicken eggs if you live in a rural area.

Thank you D

I am eating quite a few of them just now. Unfortunately I am dairy intolerant and dont like eggs.

I have unsweetened coconut milk with oatmeal and seeds for breakfast.

I read somewhere that carrots are good for us so I have been eating them!!  Raw and cooked. Sweet potatoes. Broccoli.

It's so hard to know. Thank you for your help MP

Thank you D

I am eating quite a few of them just now. Unfortunately I am dairy intolerant and dont like eggs.

I have unsweetened coconut milk with oatmeal and seeds for breakfast.

I read somewhere that carrots are good for us so I have been eating them!!  Raw and cooked. Sweet potatoes. Broccoli.

It's so hard to know. Thank you for your help MP

No problem.

That sounds like a pretty good snack to have.

Yes, carrots are good for cortisol lowering as well.

Anything natural and healthy.

Another thing to consider is the type of food you take at night. 

Hope this helps.

Mice 

I know I did not ask the question but thank for this.