Netflix - November 30 - Take Your Pills: Xanax

[Ms...]

Stevie Nick's of Fleetwood Mac spent 54 days in hospital during klonopin withdrawal. Read her story.

Johnathan Davis of Korn shares his benzo nightmare with everyone.

Not to mention Whitney Houston,  Heather Ledger , Tom Petty and  countless others that died from this poison. For big pharma its the perfect pill.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ms...]

• [Ju...]

• [Co...]

• [Pa...]

Could someone write a summary about what they talked about in the documentary since I'm not able to watch it?  I'm very curious about what was discussed.

I didn´t like the documentary. Nothing about withdralws, how long it can take to be free of this shit, the damage to our body, the pain, fear, nightmares, etc etc. Very very light. It seemed to be a documentary about anxiety. And that Xanax can aliviate it. Nothing else. Very disappointed.

I haven't watched it yet, but I was hoping they'd focus heavily on John and the other harmed person they filmed. Sounds like they didn't. At least we have Lisa Ling.  :-\

Sounds like I'm going against the current here but I actually liked it. You have to remember this is made for the masses to bring awareness to the fight. We  (BB) are in the trenches and I'm not sure something similar to what people on BB were desiring in this movie would be desired by the general public (as much as we wish it were).

I think they did a great job, especially with John, in bringing up real life things we are dealing with. It really resonated with me.

I do not have a Netflix account and the information on the NF website is limited.  Is my understanding correct that this video may not be viewable by individuals who sign up for just a trial subscription?  The website seems to indicate videos that are not viewable to all subscribers are identified by a lock icon.  Would someone who has a Netflix account be so kind as to clarify/verify this? 

I’m trying to avoid signing up for a trial subscription only to learn I won’t be able to view this video.  Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

Just finished watching this Netflix movie. No spoilers because there's no plot!  But there is a narrative, and if you want to watch the documentary

with a fresh and open mind, do that first before reading my review.

The producers began with a Harvard-educated writer and editor, Scott Stossel, the editor of the Atlantic Magazine and the writer of a New York Times bestseller, 'My Age of Anxiety'. You can imagine how engaging his narrative was—Scott Stossel is a well-spoken and authentic speaker. He's also a man who has struggled with anxiety for most of his life, and spent many hours researching anxiety in its many guises, past and present. He's quickly followed by psychiatrists, doctors and several patients.

My interest built and kept building as I watched; especially when a 45 year-old man who was a climber, a skier and a lover of all things outdoors began his tale. I was riveted. I tell you, his story seemed to have come straight from the Benzo Buddies forum. His doctor cut his Xanax from 3 mg to 2.5, and then switched him to Valium. That's when all hell broke through in his life. About 32 doctors and one almost-off-a-cliff later, his wife was reduced to googling for answers. She found the Ashton protocol. At one point we see him working on his liquid titration. Words fail.

One psychiatrist spoke about the dangers of withdrawal. I was waiting for more. I was dying for more! I suppose I needed to hear someone talk about answers to the withdrawal, or, like we do here, promote 'success stories' or at least speak to the unspeakable suffering. Instead, the producer chose to speak to the sporadic use of benzodiazepines, of using them wisely, of using behavioral cognitive therapy or working through anxiety issues with friends. The show ended with testimonies of people on benzos who planned to stay on them.

I was disappointed. I suppose I wanted some sort of movement to hold someone accountable for all this suffering, or at least talk about it quite a bit more, to shine a light on our difficulties. I do believe doctors need to know. They don't. They should. They really, really should.

Now, no shade on people who are staying on benzos. I don't want to do that. Nor do I want to throw shade on the very wise advice for humanity, including me, to gain some of the 'mental callouses' you need to get over anxiety and learn to live with life's challenges. I think there's a lot of old fashioned common sense in that.

Yet it was a missed opportunity. They opted to end the show on a gentle, conciliatory note. It really would have served people better if the producers had spent more time on the dangers, the protracted nature and the incredible stamina of the many survivors. Not just because I think they deserve to be celebrated, but because the population at large could have seen what people pushed past their limits will do. It could have been a story of great hope to see people in protracted healing make it to health again. Even more, I think the population would have been better served to vividly see what they can save themselves from should their well-meaning doctor prescribe a benzodiazepine!

My two cents!!

I agree entirely with your comments!

It makes me wonder who the film was aimed at. Did big pharma have any say in the final edit? Benzos come across as rather useful drugs when used correctly!! This film is not an accurate portrayal of the brutal suffering caused by these drugs and the doctors who prescribe them……….and the drug companies who make them. Benzos are shown several times in comedy settings and it just IS NOT funny!

Hardy x

It is my understanding that Netflix do not offer trial accounts. So, if you sign up and the video is not accessible, I expect it is because it is not available in your region.

I do not have a Netflix account and the information on the NF website is limited.  Is my understanding correct that this video may not be viewable by individuals who sign up for just a trial subscription?  The website seems to indicate videos that are not viewable to all subscribers are identified by a lock icon.  Would someone who has a Netflix account be so kind as to clarify/verify this? 

I’m trying to avoid signing up for a trial subscription only to learn I won’t be able to view this video.  Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

I still haven't watched yet. I can stream it on my hyberbeam account for 6 people besides myself if anyone interested in figuring that out. Maybe it's too complicated.

I know. I could hardly believe it. The same thought crossed my mind: Did big Pharma get a crack at this? I'm not a conspiracy theorist at heart but can see no reason to ignore so much suffering. I was hoping this would be a lifeline for those of us whose doctors pooh-pooh our testimonies of symptoms and the length of time it takes to heal. I was looking forward to saying, "Just watch 'Take Your Medicine: Xanax'. It's on Netflix!" I won't say that, now. Ugh.

I thought it was a good film, but I'm sure many here are disappointed because it was fairly balanced showing the good and the bad the drug can do.  John was phenomenal, he had me in tears and I really liked the male doctor, he had a good grasp of the dangers.  I felt bad for the young woman at the end, she seemed a bit defensive like she was trying to differentiate her use of the drug from those who abuse it.  It helps her, she takes it as prescribed, never any more, sadly what she doesn't know is that this is the exact scenario that will have her joining BenzoBuddies one day.

I thought it was a good film, but I'm sure many here are disappointed because it was fairly balanced showing the good and the bad the drug can do.  John was phenomenal, he had me in tears and I really liked the male doctor, he had a good grasp of the dangers.  I felt bad for the young woman at the end, she seemed a bit defensive like she was trying to differentiate her use of the drug from those who abuse it.  It helps her, she takes it as prescribed, never any more, sadly what she doesn't know is that this is the exact scenario that will have her joining BenzoBuddies one day.

As usual I agree with you. They did not shy on the horror of it. That older dude doing the LMT must be here somewhere. He used all the right lingo.

I agree, Pamster. I tried to keep an open mind. While I found it interesting, I thought it didn't give the viewer a real sense of the dangers associated with long-term use. I, too, felt very sad for the young woman, since I think she might be heading for a big fall.

I couldn’t watch the whole film “take your Xanax pills” as they seemed so flippant about benzos.  I started feeling terrible but when I rented the movie “As prescribed “,

I watched it twice completely glued to the screen, it was that good and informative.

I thought it was a bad film, not even close to the reality of the harm caused by doctors and big pharma. The reason that this film isn't very accurate is because they have the same rules on Netflix that benzo buddies has, you're not allowed to bash doctors and medical professionals.

It seems to be fairly common among all of the countries in the world, from the United Kingdom to Canada and the United States etc, for some reason media companies don't like doctor and pharma bashing. I'm assuming it's because of lawsuits and liability, but I'm not sure.

It would be nice if there was a website dedicated to bashing the medical profession and all of the harmful drugs they dish out to people. We're not allowed to do it on benzo buddies, we're not allowed to do it on the mainstream media, and we definitely can't do it at doctor's appointments when we go to therapy. So where are we supposed to do it? So much for freedom of speech.

I thought it was a bad film, not even close to the reality of the harm caused by doctors and big pharma. The reason that this film isn't very accurate is because they have the same rules on Netflix that benzo buddies has, you're not allowed to bash doctors and medical professionals.

It seems to be fairly common among all of the countries in the world, from the United Kingdom to Canada and the United States etc, for some reason media companies don't like doctor and pharma bashing. I'm assuming it's because of lawsuits and liability, but I'm not sure.

It would be nice if there was a website dedicated to bashing the medical profession and all of the harmful drugs they dish out to people. We're not allowed to do it on benzo buddies, we're not allowed to do it on the mainstream media, and we definitely can't do it at doctor's appointments when we go to therapy. So where are we supposed to do it? So much for freedom of speech.

JustInTime,

I don't want to get into a debate with you over this but I'm not sure you understand why we have this policy, its not to protect doctors or pharmaceutical companies, its to protect our members.  Hopefully this document helps you see our point.

Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist and Anti-medicine Comments:

Many of our members report negative experiences with doctors, psychiatrists, the pharmaceutical industry, health regulators, or the medical profession as a whole. While we do not wish to outlaw comments about how members feel let down and mistreated in their personal medical care, you must keep your feelings and comments in perspective.

Some of our members are vulnerable and might be rather suggestible when they arrive at this website and forum. Your comments might have undue and unintended results upon some of those reading them. Your own experiences with the medical profession are precisely this – your own experiences. It is the view of BenzoBuddies that it would be irresponsible for members to not seek or ignore medical advice from their doctors, psychiatrists and other healthcare providers. Of course, doctors do make mistakes, and there is much confusion and misinformation about the potential side and withdrawal effects of benzodiazepines. But if you are dissatisfied with the advice or service provided by your doctor, you should probably seek the opinion of another doctor. Medical advice from your doctor should not be replaced by the suggestions of anonymous people on the Internet – this is plain common sense. You should discuss with your doctor any ideas and suggestions made by members of this forum and website.

Few of our members are medical professionals, but even their advice should be treated with due caution. Firstly, we do not screen our members, so there is no way of verifying their medical credentials. Secondly, they cannot know your full and true medical history, so cannot make sound 'diagnoses'. Thirdly, if you are skeptical of the medical profession and/or dissatisfied with the performance of your doctor or psychiatrist, how can medical advice from someone on the Internet be more trusted than the advice from a real-world and verifiable doctor? Your doctor is your medical caregiver, not BenzoBuddies, nor any other support website.

By suggesting that others should not trust doctors, psychiatrists and the medical profession as a whole, you potentially endanger other members and visitors to this forum. BenzoBuddies is not an anti-doctor or anti-psychiatry website. Our members need their doctors, not only to supply them with prescriptions for benzodiazepines, but to meet their other medical needs too. In short, you are free to describe the shortcomings in your own medical treatment, but make clear that you are writing about your personal experiences; do not spread general anti-doctor or anti-psychiatrist propaganda.

Occasionally, members link to Scientology anti-psychiatry propaganda (usually because they have been duped). The posting of anti-psychiatry propaganda at BenzoBuddies is not allowed. Because of the obfuscation tactics employed by Scientology, all content posted to BenzoBuddies we identify as Scientology-propaganda, or any so-called 'information' originating from Scientology, will be deleted. We ask members to help us by wearing their 'critical thinking hats' when they come across anti-psychiatry comments at BenzoBuddies (please report such instances), and if in any doubt, please contact a member of the team in advance of posting information, a link or video. Because many of our members rely upon the professional help of psychiatrists and therapists, information regarding psychiatry or psychiatric practice originating from Scientology or the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (or any other Scientology front group) is expressly disallowed at this forum.

Just to make clear, members are allowed to describe how they were let down in their medical care (just don't name names). And don't drift into general criticisms of the medical profession and medicine based upon your personal experiences.

I'd be surprised if Netflix had some kind blanket ban on content critical of medicine. I expect that reasoned, evidence-based critiques would be fine, just as they would be at BB.

Yes I know about the reasoning, but the term "evidence" is questionable, as mostly everyone on here already knows. Just because there's a trial drug that was tested on a group of individuals, and supposedly had some promising outcome, doesn't show a whole lot of evidence within subjective Mental Health categories. I think that's why mostly everyone on this website is upset with Psychiatry and medical doctors, they feel like test dummies for the big Pharma industry.

As far as things such as cancer and knee surgeries and arteries being clogged, that's a different story because it's non-subjective. I don't think anyone on benzo buddies would tell someone to not go to a doctor if they need a non-subjective surgery that showed up on an MRI or stress test that was threatening someone's life. But with Psychiatry on the other hand, the whole entire profession is questionable because it is subject-based, yet it is called evidence-based. So whenever someone bashes psychiatry, I don't think it's to bash any facts, but rather question the subjective stories that got put into the evidence category.

I agree that there's a lot of vulnerable people on this website, I was one of them at the beginning. But what if everyone on this website defended Psychiatry and told everybody to go take psychiatric meds as soon as they got off of their pills? Wouldn't that be even more detrimental? For example, let's say that 10,000 people just quit taking benzos yesterday, and all of them questioned us veterans on here whether or not they should go take the psychiatric pills psychiatrist just prescribed today. It would be really irresponsible of all of the veterans on benzo buddies to say sure, go take that pill because your psychiatrist prescribed it and thought it was good for you. Then nobody would ever get through benzo withdrawal, see what I mean?

Anyhow, my purpose of posting what I did above was not to debate anything related to psychiatry. I was pointing out how the Netflix documentary didn't even remotely show the harm done caused by benzos. I was also stating that it would be great to have a doctor bashing forum or it would be great if Netflix would show the harm done by doctors on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure Netflix wouldn't do it, just like they're not allowing people to put any racist or anti-gay or any other type of propaganda on their selections. It all boils down to liability and Netflix doesn't want to get sued, because it would cost the CEO lots of money in legal fees. There's no such thing as freedom of speech in this world anymore, not even with media.

However, if you can find some anti-doctor material on a well-known streaming platform, please let me know. But I'm pretty sure everyone is afraid of getting sued, similar to the websites.

Yes I know about the reasoning, but the term "evidence" is questionable, as mostly everyone on here already knows. Just because there's a trial drug that was tested on a group of individuals, and supposedly had some promising outcome, doesn't show a whole lot of evidence within subjective Mental Health categories. I think that's why mostly everyone on this website is upset with Psychiatry and medical doctors, they feel like test dummies for the big Pharma industry.

As far as things such as cancer and knee surgeries and arteries being clogged, that's a different story because it's non-subjective. I don't think anyone on benzo buddies would tell someone to not go to a doctor if they need a non-subjective surgery that showed up on an MRI or stress test that was threatening someone's life. But with Psychiatry on the other hand, the whole entire profession is questionable because it is subject-based, yet it is called evidence-based. So whenever someone bashes psychiatry, I don't think it's to bash any facts, but rather question the subjective stories that got put into the evidence category.

I agree that there's a lot of vulnerable people on this website, I was one of them at the beginning. But what if everyone on this website defended Psychiatry and told everybody to go take psychiatric meds as soon as they got off of their pills? Wouldn't that be even more detrimental? For example, let's say that 10,000 people just quit taking benzos yesterday, and all of them questioned us veterans on here whether or not they should go take the psychiatric pills psychiatrist just prescribed today. It would be really irresponsible of all of the veterans on benzo buddies to say sure, go take that pill because your psychiatrist prescribed it and thought it was good for you. Then nobody would ever get through benzo withdrawal, see what I mean?

Anyhow, my purpose of posting what I did above was not to debate anything related to psychiatry. I was pointing out how the Netflix documentary didn't even remotely show the harm done caused by benzos. I was also stating that it would be great to have a doctor bashing forum or it would be great if Netflix would show the harm done by doctors on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure Netflix wouldn't do it, just like they're not allowing people to put any racist or anti-gay or any other type of propaganda on their selections. It all boils down to liability and Netflix doesn't want to get sued, because it would cost the CEO lots of money in legal fees. There's no such thing as freedom of speech in this world anymore, not even with media.

However, if you can find some anti-doctor material on a well-known streaming platform, please let me know. But I'm pretty sure everyone is afraid of getting sued, similar to the websites.

The place you seek is called Twitter.

I don't really consider that a streaming platform, it's more social media. But you're right, Elon Musk has a platform for the conservatives to say anything now.

I don't really consider that a streaming platform, it's more social media. But you're right, Elon Musk has a platform for the conservatives to say anything now.

If you go on Twitter and search #prescribedharm hashtag you will find multiple patients sharing their experiences with various psychiatric medications.