Lab clonazepan liquid oral solution: best solvent ?

[ma...]

Guys,

I live in Brazil and we have clonazepan oral solution, and this year I managed to taper my daily dose to 0,1mg, which means 1 drop.  I tried to cut off this 1 drop and faild, reinstating 2 drops.... I am now willing to taper slower, and i`ll need to dilute the solution

the medication package insert mentions propylene glycol, byt i doubt that the original solvent is 100%propylene glycol

I did a little search in here and found many other users using just water as solvent, and ensuring to shake the bottle before use, but the information is widely spread into the posts

So I have created this post to agregate information about this specific context, tho share information about who are using what and if it is working

PS: an image of the kind of clonazepan liquid in Brazil

Edf1q0iWkAASlCx.jpg

I'm not sure what your intention is, are you asking if others have used water successfully?

yes

if water is fine, or other substance is better

I've seen quite a few members use water to dilute the solution and I believe they do agitate it to be on the safe side.  You're lucky to be able to get it, members in the US don't have that option.

According to the datasheet linked below, the ingredients in the 2.5mg/mL oral clonazepam solution (aka Rivotril drops) are:

Clonazepam (the pure drug powder aka Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient)

Propylene glycol

Glacial acetic acid

Saccharin sodium

Peach flavour PHL

Brilliant blue FCF

Only one solvent is used — propylene glycol.  (My best guess is the glacial acetic acid is functioning as a pH modifier.)

Pamster is correct  — we do have members who dilute the manufacturer’s oral solution to achieve a less concentrated do-it-yourself (DIY) liquid.  Regrettably, the effects of the dilution on the solubility of the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient and the stability of the liquid are unknown at this time.  For example, it’s possible the DIY liquid is a suspension not a solution. Consequently, we suggest that members shake their DIY liquid well before using it and measure their dose/reduction as quickly as possible. We also suggest that members make smaller rather than larger batches of the DIY liquid to minimize storage time.

Link:

New Zealand - MedSafe Datasheet

Rivotril® 2.5 mg/mL oral solution (drops)

https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/Datasheet/r/RivotrilOralSol.pdf

According to the datasheet linked below, the ingredients in the 2.5mg/mL oral clonazepam solution (aka Rivotril drops) are:

Clonazepam (the pure drug powder aka Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient)

Propylene glycol

Glacial acetic acid

Saccharin sodium

Peach flavour PHL

Brilliant blue FCF

Only one solvent is used — propylene glycol.  (My best guess is the glacial acetic acid is functioning as a pH modifier.)

Pamster is correct  — we do have members who dilute the manufacturer’s oral solution to achieve a less concentrated do-it-yourself (DIY) liquid.  Regrettably, the effects of the dilution on the solubility of the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient and the stability of the liquid are unknown at this time.  For example, it’s possible the DIY liquid is a suspension not a solution. Consequently, we suggest that members shake their DIY liquid well before using it and measure their dose/reduction as quickly as possible. We also suggest that members make smaller rather than larger batches of the DIY liquid to minimize storage time.

Link:

New Zealand - MedSafe Datasheet

Rivotril® 2.5 mg/mL oral solution (drops)

https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/Datasheet/r/RivotrilOralSol.pdf

Propylene glycol  is not hard to find, I think i'll try to find some prior to using water

Thanks!

Just my two cents but I personally would use water to dilute the concentrated oral solution and treat the resulting DIY liquid as a suspension.  We have multiple members who have done this.