Any meds that work on anxiety?

[le...]

Had extreme anxiety since enforced CT. Got phone appt with psychiatrist Monday, seem reluctant to try help you here. Can’t take AD’s tried 4 have extreme adverse reaction to them. Did have some seroquel, but made anxiety worse and felt really dizzy and gave me awful migraines. Have had diazapam in past , are any  benzos better than others at easing anxiety. Any supplement I tried seems to rev up symptoms. Doubt she’ll give me anything,symptoms got really intense suddenly last 5 weeks just want something for  few weeks.

[bc...]
YES, there are drugs that help 🤦‍♀️. Hydroxyzine is a non addictive antihistamine that is extremely safe. Ask your dr. about it!

[c5...]

YES, there are drugs that help 🤦‍♀️. Hydroxyzine is a non addictive antihistamine that is extremely safe. Ask your dr. about it!

Hydroxyzine does not touch the symptoms some of us have on here. 

[c5...]

It seems like you want to go the med route, so I recommend going into a psych ward. They are not bad like the movies make them out to be.

Can’t tolerate anti psychotics or Ad’s, just wondered if you would get benzos there as the non medication route doesn’t’t touch it due to being CF’s against my will.

[c5...]

Can’t tolerate anti psychotics or Ad’s, just wondered if you would get benzos there as the non medication route doesn’t’t touch it due to being CF’s against my will.

Zop and benzos are very similar. They both bind to the GABA-A receptor, just differently.  The only people that have stabilized going on other drugs are usually on 3-7 drugs.  It's very unlikely one drug will stabilize you.  I have seen people on an anticonvulsant, antidepressant, benzo, antipsychotic, and beta-blocker.

Taking rescue doses of the drug that originally damaged you will keep you in "withdrawal," but I am sure you already know. You are trying to heal those receptors; if you keep damaging them well, you know the rest. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

I understand your dilemma because I am in the same situation myself. 

I’m not taking rescue doses, jyst need something else to help bit during the day, but the ignorant doctors  over here won’t prescribe something that I can tolerate and will actually help. Jyst have carry on with the the daily zop and pray, there are few others who did stabilise  then taper off the original drug.

[c5...]

I’m not taking rescue doses, jyst need something else to help bit during the day, but the ignorant doctors  over here won’t prescribe something that I can tolerate and will actually help. Jyst have carry on with the the daily zop and pray, there are few others who did stabilise  then taper off the original drug.

You are taking the same drug that damaged you daily. You have now been reinstated.

The zop didn’t damage me I was fine on it. Being forced to CT caused damage, seems the CT people get hit the hardest, stands to reason going to affect your brain very badly. Had I been allowed to taper would of been recovered by now I’m sure,the tapered people seem to do better.

Dear Leann,

I don't know how to say this to you, because I for one, know how hard it is to come off of ADs and then going back on another. I have been on 5 different ones (Mirtazapine, Amitriptyline, Agomelatine, Seroquel, and finally Escitalopram + Pregabalin now) and trust me, I was averse to trying any ADs to begin with, but honestly, I was so deep down the rabbit hole that I decided to try something instead of nothing. Withdrawing from all these ADs were a horrible nightmare. I thought of throwing in the towel (almost tried Duloxetine at one point) but a caring doctor suggested (and somehow persuaded me) I try Lexapro (escitalopram).

Took the dive for the 5th time and prayed hard. I did have some reactions but it stabilized after awhile. But more than anything else Leann, I suggest you speak to a therapist and diligently eradicate any form of stressor that exist in your life. For me this helped the best (Lexapro was great at keeping me steady while I weaned off a cocktail of benzos I was on). So, long story short, ADs are a hit and miss (like crutches, you throw them away when you get better), but more importantly seek therapy and support. Hope this helps! Sending you lots of love.

MM

[c5...]

Dear Leann,

I don't know how to say this to you, because I for one, know how hard it is to come off of ADs and then going back on another. I have been on 5 different ones (Mirtazapine, Amitriptyline, Agomelatine, Seroquel, and finally Escitalopram + Pregabalin now) and trust me, I was averse to trying any ADs to begin with, but honestly, I was so deep down the rabbit hole that I decided to try something instead of nothing. Withdrawing from all these ADs were a horrible nightmare. I thought of throwing in the towel (almost tried Duloxetine at one point) but a caring doctor suggested (and somehow persuaded me) I try Lexapro (escitalopram).

Took the dive for the 5th time and prayed hard. I did have some reactions but it stabilized after awhile. But more than anything else Leann, I suggest you speak to a therapist and diligently eradicate any form of stressor that exist in your life. For me this helped the best (Lexapro was great at keeping me steady while I weaned off a cocktail of benzos I was on). So, long story short, ADs are a hit and miss (like crutches, you throw them away when you get better), but more importantly seek therapy and support. Hope this helps! Sending you lots of love.

MM

Lexapro has the strongest binding affinity of all antidepressants.

[c5...]

The zop didn’t damage me I was fine on it. Being forced to CT caused damage, seems the CT people get hit the hardest, stands to reason going to affect your brain very badly. Had I been allowed to taper would of been recovered by now I’m sure,the tapered people seem to do better.

I don't know if you don't understand or your refuse to listen but you are literally repeating yourself over and over, lying, changing your story. I talk to other people that are saying the same thing. You need to educate yourself more on these drugs because you are literally dancing around a fire. I don't know you know how truly bad it I can get and kindling is a very real thing. The last thing you want/need is akathisia. You need some constructive criticism because for some reason no one is giving it to you you. No one had any problems telling me to stop when I was posting the same thing 24/7 for 2 years and ruminating over and over.

Dear Leann,

Aiden and I are not trying to disparage or patronize you in any way but sometimes you need to wake up and smell the roses. Honestly, you have come to a point where you really need to decide. Indecisiveness makes everything worse. Decisions are tough but we all have to swallow some tough options and go down that road. I have accepted we will not be 100% ok but if I can  at least function, that's more than enough. Please get some therapy, support from family members/friends and above all, if you are religious (even if you are not), have faith. May prayers are with you.

MM

I don't know if you don't understand or your refuse to listen but you are literally repeating yourself over and over, lying, changing your story. I talk to other people that are saying the same thing. You need to educate yourself more on these drugs because you are literally dancing around a fire. I don't know you know how truly bad it I can get and kindling is a very real thing. The last thing you want/need is akathisia. You need some constructive criticism because for some reason no one is giving it to you you. No one had any problems telling me to stop when I was posting the same thing 24/7 for 2 years and ruminating over and over.

Amen.

aidenhome2009, you went too far here, you could have gotten your point across without being accusatory.  Please take care to treat other members with respect. 

Pamster

Glad you stepped in Pamster, I didn’t dignify it with a reply. I know we all have our own ideas on what people should do, and are very often angry on here, but taking it out on other members  by aggressive responses  is not helping anyone.

• 1 month later...

Leann, some benzo's are more sedating, diazepam is one. Others are more anxiolytic, clonazepam is one. Others work for panic attacks and anxiety attacks, they would be lorazepam and alprazolam, and are of short duration. Zop is one of the "Z" drugs, but acts almost like a benzo.

Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine with anxiolytic properties. It also can help with sleep. It is a 1st generation H1 blocker antihistamine, and only available by prescription. Despite being a 1st generation one, it is selective in its anticholinergic effects, it really has a few fairly mild ones. it may work for you, it may not, but the only way to find out is to try it.

Buspar (buspirone) is used for anxiety, and is a non-benzo prescription. Another choice to consider.

If I understood correctly, you are back using Zop? Was your plan to try and taper to see if it would help?

Also, "kindling" gets thrown around a lot on these boards. Kindling is well known with alcoholism, but with benzos the effect hasn't been definitively proven. Even then, you would had to have completely gone off benzo's, and gone back on, gone off, gone back on. Repeatedly doing this can make each taper more difficult, and is similar to the kindling effect from repeat alcohol use and abstinence.

There are others who are as far out as you from a C/T or rapid taper or detox; and they try going back on to do a proper taper. It almost always doesn't work. And it doesn't improve their w/d. They think if they reinstate and taper, they will recover better. They almost always don't, and regret going that route.

I know you have been suffering for a long time, you've seen others recover and wonder why you haven't. If anxiety is your worst symptom, and AD's and AP's never helped (AP's really wouldn't, and some AD's work better than others); hydroxyzine and buspirone are two options to try. You'd have to get Psych on board to prescribe them, though you might get a GP/PCP to prescribe hydroxyzine. All else fails, there's always the ER, and they are usually more than willing to give you hydroxyzine. If you ask to see a Psych in the ER, you could then inquire about buspirone. I honestly don't know of anything else you could try that isn't an AD or benzo.

reinstating is the worst thing you can do, that's my opinion,

I told you that NSAID's have neuroproctive properties due to mild effects gaba a-5 sub-units, also work by stopping epileptologenesis, so it could push your brain out of this epileptic state, storm of exitatory signaling causing paranoia, it also work by inhibiting exitatory signaling, inhibiting calcium overload due to inflammation also working at microglial hyper activation,  and other protecting dopaminergic neurons from damage

The drug damaged you independent of the cold turkey, i know you are years off,.. resistanting and tapering is a bad move, j reinstated after a setback in jail, I shouldn't have done it, that's not a good strategy, you treat zopiclone in a way I can't understand, I know you was fine on zopiclone but that was the drug who did this to you, if you get back on, it  will further damage you, your peripheral nerves, there is so much you can worsen, also a doctor could just at any point do the same thing to you, they have no accountability for doing it.

other drugs could be  valproic acid, a depressor work on gaba decarboxylase, sodium channels, plus an NSAID to take the brain out of an epileptic state, not free from side effects like any other drug but I think that pushing your brain out of a shocking storm could be a good measure, side effects are involved like any other of this drugs, you can take lower doses like 125 mg, I'm not advising you to take im just informing you that it is an option, normally doctors prescribe 500 mg  or more , I guess that if you try to combine this and NSAID's you should take that much, you should always be aware of interactions and possible side effects

there is also pregabalin, hard to come off, acts on calcium voltage-gated channels, inhibiting calcium overload (exitatory signaling) , not a good option imo, better than  reinstating, inhibitory exitatory signaling by calcium voltage-gated channels,  NSAIDs work on calcium overload too, that's why I said it may give a break for your brain from a storm of exitatory signaling,  in other words what is like sn s"satus epilepticus" the brain, due to an imbalance causing a loop of neuroinflamattion and intracellular calcium overload, there are several articles regarding the mechanism involved online, this may be a good measure, if you feel like you can search on google NSAIDs neuroproctive, NSAID's epileptologenesis or neuroinflamattion to understand the mechanisms involved

rescue does and reinstatement are not a good measure in my opinion but it's understandable, I hope you take the best decision you have