Autism

[98...]

As someone who is autistic, I clicked this post. The link goes to an error page on Google, "

403. That’s an error.

We're sorry, but you do not have access to this page. That’s all we know.'

Was curious as to what is actually there. I know my autism has been exacerbated by this process. Just had a telehealth with my provider, and we were discussing how the taper and w/d has affected me.

I have many autistic symptoms too.  I had a postman who had a child who was autistic and I asked him if his son had any of the same symptoms I have and he said he did. 

The damage these drugs do to the brain causes a similar state to autism. I have all of the symptoms of someone that is autistic. I found this which I thought was interesting.

https://www.omicsonline.org/supplementary-files/sup-differential-diagnosis-of-autism-a-causal-analysis.pdf

Same here!!! Now I know I’m not going “crazy!” I found this out a couple months ago!  It is like Autism!

I meet so much criteria for mild autism I started to think I may be undiagnosed, which would actually explain a lot of the problems I’ve experienced in life. Look up masking.

Ahhhh. I thought this was some article/study regarding "The damage these drugs do to the brain causes a similar state to autism." It's just one source regarding autism traits. When you meet one autistic person, you've met one autistic person. Atypical people are as varied as neurotypical people.

1. I have never heard the term "Autistic Hyperfocus."

2. A lot of these don't apply to me, and to other autistic people. Autism is now seen as a "spectrum disorder" and varies from severe forms to very high-functioning. I fall in the very high-functioning.

3. I keenly feel emotion, definitely feel fear, cry and laugh, understand sarcasm to a point, and I adapted to social situations, by observing social cues from my peers as a child and teen.

4. I have a nephew who was misdiagnosed with ADHD, he has autism. A niece was misdiagnosed with OCD and other psychiatric disorders, she was recently diagnosed with autism.

5. The author states, "An autistic person is incapable of experiencing fear." Not true of all autistic people. And also states, "The neurology I am proposing..." It's a proposal.

6. What does fit me in this document, has been exacerbated by the benzo w/d. My provider and I were discussing this at my recent telehealth appointment.

[98...]

Ahhhh. I thought this was some article/study regarding "The damage these drugs do to the brain causes a similar state to autism." It's just one source regarding autism traits. When you meet one autistic person, you've met one autistic person. Atypical people are as varied as neurotypical people.

1. I have never heard the term "Autistic Hyperfocus."

2. A lot of these don't apply to me, and to other autistic people. Autism is now seen as a "spectrum disorder" and varies from severe forms to very high-functioning. I fall in the very high-functioning.

3. I keenly feel emotion, definitely feel fear, cry and laugh, understand sarcasm to a point, and I adapted to social situations, by observing social cues from my peers as a child and teen.

4. I have a nephew who was misdiagnosed with ADHD, he has autism. A niece was misdiagnosed with OCD and other psychiatric disorders, she was recently diagnosed with autism.

5. The author states, "An autistic person is incapable of experiencing fear." Not true of all autistic people. And also states, "The neurology I am proposing..." It's a proposal.

6. What does fit me in this document, has been exacerbated by the benzo w/d. My provider and I were discussing this at my recent telehealth appointment.

I posted the article as a means of comparing drug damage to similar traits of someone on the spectrum. I personally know nothing about autism and I understand there is a spectrum. When I hit myself in the head in an attempt to make the intrusive looping thoughts stop I am often reminded of times I have seen autistic children wearing helmets and wondering if they are experiencing anything similar.

Sorry if this was misleading. It was not my intention.

Yes, the fear part did not make sense to me. I know that autistic people scream when overstimulated etc and I can't imagine that they are not in fear during these episodes.

Most of my knowledge of autism is from the TV show Atypical or videos/movies/documentaries so I apologize if I am not able to articulate appropriately. My knowledge is not from personal experience.

I posted the article as a means of comparing drug damage to similar traits of someone on the spectrum. I personally know nothing about autism and I understand there is a spectrum. When I hit myself in the head in an attempt to make the intrusive looping thoughts stop I am often reminded of times I have seen autistic children wearing helmets and wondering if they are experiencing anything similar.

Sorry if this was misleading. It was not my intention.

Yes, the fear part did not make sense to me. I know that autistic people scream when overstimulated etc and I can't imagine that they are not in fear during these episodes.

Most of my knowledge of autism is from the TV show Atypical or videos/movies/documentaries so I apologize if I am not able to articulate appropriately. My knowledge is not from personal experience.

I'm not faulting you, I understand it was your point that the damage done by benzo's mimics many autism traits. I was merely pointing out some things in that proposal from my perspective as an autistic individual. In autism, researchers such as Uta Frith and Simon Baron-Cohen know that atypical people have brains that are wired differently. In more severe autism, there are more traits associated with autism, and they tend to be more pronounced. The best movie I ever saw, that most accurately portrayed autism, was HBO's movie about Temple Grandin starring Claire Danes. Ms. Danes met with Ms. Grandin (who consulted on the film), so she could accurately act the role. 

Simon Baron-Cohen has developed many tests and screeners. They not only help determine autistic traits in atypical people, they can help in narrowing down such traits in neurotypical people to diagnose other conditions. The most well known is the AQ test. With all of these, pick the first thing that comes to mind, don't dwell on it. Here's some links to the AQ and some other tests developed by Professor Baron-Cohen. He and actor Sacha Baron Cohen are first cousins.

https://psychology-tools.com/test/autism-spectrum-quotient

https://www.autismresearchcentre.com/tests/

I scream too when I'm overstimulated from noise and loud music and try to hide from it.  It makes me cry.

One of my constant w/d symptoms has been hyperacusis, though I used to listen to music constantly, I rarely am able to now. I revert to my childhood stimming behavior if I am overstimulated by anything, which is making a rocking motion, sometimes covering my ears. Sometimes I cry. 

I scored a 35 on that one test for autism and the range was 33-50 on the autism spectrum.  It said there is a strong possibility that I am autistic.

One of my cousins is Autistic

He. Has never held a job, never drove a car and never lived on his own.

Autism is a serious DIAGNOSED problem.

He reads ALOT, actually I've always thought he was interesting. He's a sweet person. Although he can be blunt and people who really don't know him misunderstand.