Different weights in pills

[Fo...]

I’m tapering Klonopin. I am currently at .45mg/day, divided in 2 doses.  Nothing is even. The pills all weigh different amounts. Some .170, some .165. My question is when I’m cutting off 10% of the pill, do I change the amount per each pill? I was taking off .016g no matter what it weighs.  Should I change this? I’d like to microtaper, but it’s confusing bc of the different weights of the pills…

Thank you!

FMF

I’m tapering Klonopin. I am currently at .45mg/day, divided in 2 doses.  Nothing is even. The pills all weigh different amounts. Some .170, some .165. My question is when I’m cutting off 10% of the pill, do I change the amount per each pill? I was taking off .016g no matter what it weighs.  Should I change this? I’d like to microtaper, but it’s confusing bc of the different weights of the pills…

Thank you!

FMF

This happens unfortunately, pills can change slightly in weight, and the scale can give slightly different values each time.

It doesn't have to be that exact, your brain will balance those little differences out. Just do it as exact as possible.

I agree with Snelle Jelle that the differences you're seeing in pill weights are small enough that it shouldn't be a problem. 

Of course you want to be as precise as possible - so using your scale on a solid flat surface in a room with as little activity as possible, and calibrating your scale if need be, can help ensure accuracy, as I'm sure you already know.

Assume that the pills were made from a huge slurry of active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) and all the other stuff (fillers, binders, etc.) because that's basically how they're made. Now, if you have a portion of that slurry, whether it's 165 mg, 170 mg, or 175 mg, you can reasonably assume you're getting the same amount of API per mg. So pick the average weight (170 mg is what I use), and cut/file every pill as if that is what it weighs. I used to try to adjust for each pill, but that was based on a faulty assumption that each pill contained 0.5 mg API (clonazepam), and that's just not the case. I have not noticed any difference after simplifying my methodology. And preparing pills is much faster now. Remember, they all come out of the slurry.