Taper advice for.5 mg Xanax

[Fi...]

First some questions, how long have you been on the Xanax, do you take it more than once a day, have you ever stopped taking a benzo before and how are you feeling?  Are you dealing with interdose withdrawal, tolerance or experiencing unpleasant symptoms? 

Here are the instructions to add your mediation history to your signature so you won't have to answer these kinds of questions in the future, we'll be able to see at a glance where you're at.

Add your history/signature

• 2 weeks later...
Hello , I have a hard time figuring out how to postpone forum from my iphone, very frustrating  can anyone give instructions on how to taper .5mg xanax... I keep going up & down. Was down to  25 am & 0.125mg pm but messed that up several times because severe WD & terrible head pressure was debilitating,,,  severe burning sensations from feet to shoulders. Just took  .5mg am & pm yesterday Oct 30th slept so well .. woke up today feeling guilty & bad, I must start taper over & stick to it !! & stop ruminating 24/7... can anyone suggest a taper plan ???  I have liquid xanax from compound pharmacy but it makes withdrawal even worse,  I don't know why...I also have a xanax in 1 mg pills.  Taper plan advice is much needed.  ... I'm sorry, it is almost impossible for me to post or find a reply if any on here

It doesn't sound like you're stable and its best to start a taper from a position of stability.  My suggestion would be to either go up in dose or to hold this dose for awhile longer.  We define stable as able to carry out your daily tasks, not feeling great but functional, do you think you're stable?

The reason I'm not suggesting you taper right now is because the purpose of a taper is to minimize withdrawal symptoms hopefully allowing you to live your life while you rid yourself of the drug.  Once you're off of the Xanax, there will be a recovery period and this can last weeks, months and years so doing this slowly allows your brain to heal while you taper hopefully making your recovery time faster.

Whatever you decide to do, its best to get on a steady dose, going up and down in dose isn't good because your brain craves consistency.

Sorry to tag off of her post, but im curious myself what the taper plan would be if you are on .5 and are prescribed 1mg pills. Once stable, would you ask your Dr. to prescribe .25 pills and cut them into 4ths? Guess you could cut 2 of those down and have 8 pieces....take one little piece out and hold on that for two weeks? That would be higher than 10% cut (there would have to be 10 pieces) but not too much higher i dont think.