Cognitive problems-Memory Impairment and Amnesia

[Be...]

I was diagnosed with Memory Impairment and Amnesia a few years ago and also have early-onset dementia now too from drugs damaging my brain.  Wanted to start a support group for those of us with memory issues. 

I can't even balance my checkbook anymore and have to check my bills one at a time.  That's how messed up I am now.  I get confused very easily too and it's horrible, but I do the best I can.  I also have trouble talking as well and most days never say even one word.  Today, I haven't said even one word because it's stressful for me to talk.  I study English Grammar in the evening and have become good at that to try to keep my mind from turning completely to mush. 

I havent balanced mine in months. I cant keep up with the numbers. I forget passwords all the time. Thank goodness google remebers them for me. If it wasnt for spell check I wouldnt even be able to post.

Mine is being caused by extreme insomnia. Plus I think I have to much glutamate running around through my brain and slowly killing it. I think about reinstating all the time to see if I can get some relief. But I am scared it will make me worse and push me to do something horrible to myself. This memory problem is just icing on this devils cake. If i had 2 wishes it would be that either I never took a benzo or that I never quit the benzo.

I agree that it's from too much glutamate in our brains taking control.  I can't relax anymore either very well unless I tell myself to calm down.  Staying on the benzo's will eventually make things worse, IMO. 

Head pressure is really bad and I have trouble breathing a lot now too.  Inner tremors/vibrations for sure for me too.  I have bad dreams at night too all the time.  I also have OAB and incontinence problems now and need to keep towels down on the floor in the bathroom for when I lose it.  I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2012 and Lupus Encephalitis over a year ago.  Also diagnosed with Paroxysmal and Tachycardia and POTS too in the past.  Also have borderline hypothyroidism.  I've been housebound now for about 10 years and never go anywhere or do anything because when I try to drive the car anywhere, sometimes I get lost and can't remember how to get home, and if I go into stores I get confused about where I am and where things are.  Also I lost my appetite and thirst about 9 years ago and they've never come back, and I used to love to eat and used to have a great appetite.  I just force myself to eat now.  I'm screwed. 

I also have head pressure, Brain burning, inner tremors, palpitations, major anxiety, and of course insomnia. When I do sleep I get a lot nightmares too. I also have occasional incontinence. How long have you been off? Did you taper? What benzo were you on?

If you read my signature it will tell you.  I didn't do a proper taper and basically did a C/T since I only reduced for one week.  I didn't know about doing a microtaper.  I also had a seizure at work in 2012 from not taking my Xanax the night before and had to leave work that day.  That seizure damaged my brain and I knew I'd never be able to work again.  I did everything wrong when I was taking the benzo's and Z-drugs.  I was in tolerance and interdose w/d too for many years and didn't even realized that it was from the benzo's and Z-drugs.  Often, I wouldn't take them every day and was alternating taking benzo's and Z-drugs at bedtime.  I only took them for sleep since I was being abused at work by my bipolar boss and other coworkers.  When I did get off, all hell broke loose.  I even had Tardive Dyskinesia and still have it to some extent. 

That sounds terrible. I am sorry to hear that. Sometimes When I am typing a post I forget what I was typing about and it takes a while for me to remember. Sometimes I dont remember and I have to just give up. Its so frustrating. I was so normal before benzo's

I can't handle any stress at all now and if something goes wrong I become a mental wreck and then I have a severe panic attack and need to pray to God to help me get through whatever the problem is. 

I was diagnosed with Memory Impairment and Amnesia a few years ago and also have early-onset dementia now too from drugs damaging my brain.  Wanted to start a support group for those of us with memory issues.

You articulate very well and the way you write doesn't sound like you have dementia at all.

I'm a young guy, I have been having the same problems for years. And I know they will go away. And they have been slowly improving.

In your signature I read that you're very early off. Maybe you should takes these diagnosis not too seriously, because there is a big chance that it is all drugs and that you will recover over the years.

Just a thought.

I pray to God every day. I think he no longer listens to me. I would rather have terminal cancer than deal with this. Its amazing to me how much abuse my body and mind can handle. I am much to young to be having these memory problems.

Snelle, If you look at my signature, I'm not very early off.  I have been off benzo's and Z-drugs for over 10 years now and my cognitive problems are getting worse.  I've been on SSDI now for over 10 years now and haven't even worked since 2012.  I study grammar, spelling and vocabulary in the evenings on Youtube and other sites, so am getting fairly good at that.  Also, I used to be an English major in college.  I have about six years of college and can't even balance my checkbook anymore.

Xray, how old are you?  You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Im just glad for all the electronic help we get nowadays. Automatic bill pay, Bank balance whenever you need it. Amazon so I dont have to go to the store.

Snelle, If you look at my signature, I'm not very early off.  I have been off benzo's and Z-drugs for over 10 years now and my cognitive problems are getting worse.  I've been on SSDI now for over 10 years now and haven't even worked since 2012.  I study grammar, spelling and vocabulary in the evenings on Youtube and other sites, so am getting fairly good at that.  Also, I used to be an English major in college.  I have about six years of college and can't even balance my checkbook anymore.

Xray, how old are you?  You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

My apologies, I read the 22 as 2022.

Still, you write so well. And CT's can take a long time.

I still hope that it gets better for you

I guess its only the 3 of us that are having cognitive issues.

No man, it's full of people here who have that, and a lot of topics have been opened about this.

For instance, this one has been opened recently:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=250937.0

And the good news is, almost all people healed from all of these symptoms.

It's so extremely common.

No man, it's full of people here who have that, and a lot of topics have been opened about this.

That may be true if that is one of your main symptoms. But I think my cognitive issues are being caused by insomnia and very few heal from long term insomnia. I have been thru the entire insomnia board and most never recover. Which means that my cognitive issues will only get worse as my brain gets more and more sleep deprived. I appreciate your positive attitude though.

That may be true if that is one of your main symptoms. But I think my cognitive issues are being caused by insomnia and very few heal from long term insomnia. I have been thru the entire insomnia board and most never recover. Which means that my cognitive issues will only get worse as my brain gets more and more sleep deprived. I appreciate your positive attitude though.

Little more positivity then 😉:

From all the success stories I have read about people dealing with insomnia, sleep returned to normal.

I think people on the insomnia board are all still busy to recocer

We all heal sooner or later

Ah, and I see you ct'ed from 1.5 mg Xanax.

And you're young.

I really see no reason why you wouldn't heal.

I'm not even being positive, I'm being realistic.

You will heal, no doubt, 100%

I've been on this forum for so many years, and have seen so many similar situations. Right now you're in the thick of pure misery, and then you only think negativaly. And that's normal.

But let's talk after 2 years, maybe a lot sooner 😉.

X-ray, you'll be able to sleep again.  I never go anywhere or do anything, so studying grammar online is what I do every night.  All the challenging grammar quizzes I take now are too easy and it's frustrating.  It's important to do mental stuff to keep your brain from turning to mush too much.  That was a tongue-twister:  Turning to mush too much.  My head pressure is killing me tonight.  It's so bad that I get pressure in the left side of my body and stomach too. 

Becks, I try to do metal things but my brain just wont do it. Thank goodness i have been doing my job for 15 years and I dont have to think to much. But I fear that i am going to lose it soon and with no income I cannot take care of my children. Benzo's ruined my life.