Can someone help me with this doctor recommended subsitution

[DM...]

Hello,

I think I am going to try and switch over to Valium.

The tinnitus is getting unmanageable at lower doses, and although I am somewhat hopeful it will subside when I'm off, I think overall valium will be easier for me to taper. I have also read anecdotal reports that valium is easier on the ears, or in my case brain.

This is what he suggested:

Current Clonazepam dosage = 0.42mg total daily. Equivalency range Clonazepam 0.5mg = Valium 2.5-10mg. Agreed equivalency to base taper upon (discussed 10/14/2022) = clonazepam 0.42mg --> Valium 7.5mg

Taper Plan: Week 1: Clonazepam 0.25mg once daily + 4mg Valium once daily Week 2: Clonazepam 0.25mg once daily + 4mg Valium once daily Week 3-4: Valium 4mg twice daily Week 5 and beyond: Decrease daily Valium dose by 0.5mg-1mg total every two weeks until taper completed

This seems like an abrupt drop from clonazepam for me, so I'm wondering what I should do to switch over, or if any one has suggestions.

Note: I am not trying to spend a month crossing over, that's not an option for me. I would like to stick within the 2 week timeframe.

Any experienced advice welcomed.

I'm not sure what you're asking, you seem unsure about stopping the Clonazepam at .25 mgs but you don't want the crossover to last more than 2 weeks.

I'm not sure what you're asking, you seem unsure about stopping the Clonazepam at .25 mgs but you don't want the crossover to last more than 2 weeks.

I was thinking that .42 Clonazepam to .25 clonazepam was too much of a drop. I thought that it should be decreased more gradually during a crossover since Valium takes a while to build up.

Okay, I understand, thanks.  I see your point, you'll be doing 40% decrease of the Clonazepam before the Valium has a chance to build up and we know that can take awhile to happen.  Can you discuss your concerns with your doctor?