Concussion and benzo withdrawal

[Mi...]

I hit my head on the edge of kitchen cabinet three days ago when I stood up. i did not remember the kitchen cabinet door was open. It hurted a lot.  :-[ Thankfully the edge was not really sharp though. Before it my benzo wd induced cognitive symptoms had improved a lot. After the hit they reappeared: I have felt slowness in thinking, dizziness, processing and memory issues, brain fog (concrete head, old familiar nasty symptom) and burning sensations in my head(in the spot where I hit my head). I felt slight confusion at first. My mood is not okay at all because I am distressed because of cognitive problems. My tinnitus is even worse.

Also internal tremor sensation/muscle weakness is worse. Insomnia is back and I have trouble staying asleep. So frustrating after improvement. I hate how I have to be so clumsy.

I probably should have gone to doctor to get checked out but did not go. The hit did not feel as significant, after all many people hit their head on kitchen cabinet doors. But the symptoms have been stressful. I have sometimes hit my head at home (maybe not as hard) but it has not caused this... I am not sure could this be concussion or not. But what I know benzo withdrawal most likely make me more vulnerable to get symproms like this aftrr hitting my head.

I feel so freaked out and anxious because I haven't had concussions during my benzo taper and major setbacks in ny "head symptoms" that have been basically gone many of them. Trying to recover from benzo injury and then injure my head even more. I just hope I will recover soon and there aren't any protracted symptoms after hitting my head.

Has someone else experienced concussion during withdrawal? How you recovered from it?

Benzos affect our nerve tissue to it isn't surprising you feel off after a bad knock to your head!  I can't imagine this won't pass but I do imagine it feels pretty miserable.

I went to see a doctor and yep, I have minor concussion

I had no idea before that hitting head on kitchen cabinet can do that. :( Home is surprisingly dangerous place, especially while being clumsy.

. I feel nasty internal tremor sensation that has got even worse. I feel like my hands and legs are shaking a bit even though they do not. Like the nerve endings in my body are overactive, I feel jittery. I also feel weak, like my muscles are weak at the same time. I have troubles to concentrate and I feel overwhelmed when I try do some stuff at the moment like it is overstimulating for my poor brain that tries to recover.

It is not a good to get concussion during benzo taper. :-\ I feel so messed up at the moment. But yeah the doctor was optimistic of my fast recovery. I am not so sure but let's see. I have sometimes hit my head (not as hard though as now) on kitchen cabinets and I haven't experienced almost any symptoms at all but now I had bad luck. I am sure many are.

Benzos affect our nerve tissue to it isn't surprising you feel off after a bad knock to your head!  I can't imagine this won't pass but I do imagine it feels pretty miserable.

Thanks, Kate, I hope so too.

I'm glad your got checked by your doctor and your intuition was spot on.  It is pretty well known now that even minor trauma to the head can jostle the brain enough to cause trauma.  I hope your feel better soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mimi,

I understand what your feeling. If you con-cussed your head (minor concussion) the hit to your head will aggravate your benzo wd symptoms because of our overactive cns and vise versa. It's definitely not a great feeling to go through. It's like one big soup of physical and mental symptoms all mixed in one and not knowing what is what. Wait and see by monitoring your symptoms in the days or weeks to come.  Which subsided and what didn't. It is definitely a struggle because our brain got injured 2 different ways like a double whammy. It is a hellish process we are going through for the brain to heal. It definitely has its ups and downs moments. Hang in there and manage your symptoms the best you can.

I caught COVID soon after concussion. It was my first COVID. I have managed to avoid it until now. I have no idea what symptoms are caused by COVID and what are caused by concussion. I started to smell this weird metallic smell every now and then in my nose few days after my concussion. I had not other symptoms of COVID back them so I have no idea did hitting my head do something or was it COVID.

I had a bit of sore throat even before my symptoms of COVID started. The metallic smell is such a bizarre symptom. After I caught COVID I lost my sense of smell and taste almost completely and they haven't returned even though the fever and many of my symptoms are gone. I started feeling a bit weak in my muscles days after concussion and then I have had pins and needles for weeks in my limbs, hands and feet. Again, I have no idea what did what. What is the cause. I feel like COVID or this concussion retriggered a lot of benzo symptoms or made them significantly worse such as vertigo. Thankfully some symptoms have been improving such as sleep and the awful vertigo. The vertigo/dizziness reminded of my worst time with benzos.

This has been the worst setback during my benzo taper after I survived from the worst phase. I don't feel like myself at all. I have terrible cognitive problems and I can't watch TV. My "head symptoms" that started after concussion got even worse after I caught COVID. When I try to process my head starts hurting, and my brain feels so foggy.  Like my brain don't process normally. I have had this nasty cognitive impairment stuff during benzo withdrawal but it has improved so much I haven't though of it. Obviously COVID can do all sorts of stuff for brain/CNS too. Such a nightmare. I can imagine being in benzo withdrawal can make everything worse during COVID.

Before my setback I was doing actually pretty good, exercising etc. I did not feel as cognitively impaired anymore because of benzos.

Hi Mimi,

I understand what your feeling. If you con-cussed your head (minor concussion) the hit to your head will aggravate your benzo wd symptoms because of our overactive cns and vise versa. It's definitely not a great feeling to go through. It's like one big soup of physical and mental symptoms all mixed in one and not knowing what is what. Wait and see by monitoring your symptoms in the days or weeks to come.  Which subsided and what didn't. It is definitely a struggle because our brain got injured 2 different ways like a double whammy. It is a hellish process we are going through for the brain to heal. It definitely has its ups and downs moments. Hang in there and manage your symptoms the best you can.

Hi @Mark787, thanks for your supportive words. This definitely has been hellish process. I feel so  lost at the moment. This is a triple injury. I can only hope these symptoms to get better soon and not do long lasting harm for my brain and body. I think COVID has also  has impact on my CNS too.

Hi Mimi,

Whoa, benzo wd, concussion and covid-19. I can't even imagine going through all that at once. This may sound corny but my belief is that everything happens for a reason so the universe or (god) is leading us down our own  path to make each of us find out our true personal self.  So what we are experiencing now will give us tools to make us stronger, wiser with knowledge later.