Holding at .25mg Lorazepam, wanting to crossover to Valium

[Ir...]

I've been holding at .25mg  Lorazepam for the past few weeks. My symptoms have been burning, tingly extremities, abdominal aches and very lightheaded. When crossing over do I stop the Lorazepam and just start the equivalent dose of Valium? Or do i still take the Lorazepam for a period of time with the Valium. I read the dosage of .25 Lorazepam is equal to 2 - 2.5 mg of Valium. The Ashton manual mentioned reducing the Valium by .5mg every 2 weeks and to jump at .5mg.  Thank you for your time.

Hi Ironman535,

Honestly, I’m not sure whether you would directly substitute or cross over slowly, but hold tight and I’m sure someone will be able to answer for you.

WS

I've been having a hard time with symptoms which i hope are from withdrawal and nothing else. I'm also having a hard time making the 10% cuts off the .25mg Ativan. From what I've read the Valium equivalent to my .25mg Ativan is around 2mg Valium. According to the Ashton manual i can then reduce the Valium .5mg every 2 weeks and be done. I'm seeing my primary doctor on Monday and will discuss this with her. I was curious since I'm down to .25mg once a day if I would just transition over to the Valium dose.

Are you in the US?  If so, are you aware that lorazepam is available as a 2mg/mL oral concentrate (see link below).  We have members who dilute this concentrate with water to achieve a liquid with a concentration of 0.1mg/mL (or even lower).

Link:

DailyMed - LORAZEPAM solution, concentrate

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=5ff82103-cc57-4af9-9362-82a7c686271d

Thanks for clarifying that. Generally we would not recommend a crossover unless there's a very good reason for it such as intense interdose withdrawal.

People often think it's "easier" to taper from Valium but we've seen so many unsuccessful crossovers. Going over to Valium has it's own set of challenges. Lots of people report intense depression and sedation from Valium. 

There are other methods to make it easier to taper your pills that we can help you with.

I just wanted to give you all the information so you can make an informed decision. However if you still want to crossover we will support you and help you.

I agree. I was switched to Diazapam directly from Flurazepam. Initially I reacted badly, but I did adjust in time. Of every possible outcome, I think I would have crossed over eventually, but crossover, not switch directly.

I've discovered that crossing over or switching to Diazepam can be extremely challenging and is often underestimated. It can take a long time to adjust. Crossing over is a delicate process and if chosen, it should be done with great care and precision. Basically you are crossing over to the equil amount of Diazepam, while you are in withdrawal of your original Benzo and getting used to Diazepam and after the crossover, you are at the amount of Diazepam and haven't reduced your total dose.

It's a tough call, for sure. In the long run I think Diazepam is milder to taper. However you might face months of agony doing so. It's frustrating. For me I know I could have tapered Flurazepam easier, being that they make this damn Benzo in capsules making them impossible to taper.

Best of luck,

Naf1983

Thanks for clarifying that. Generally we would not recommend a crossover unless there's a very good reason for it such as intense interdose withdrawal.

People often think it's "easier" to taper from Valium but we've seen so many unsuccessful crossovers. Going over to Valium has it's own set of challenges. Lots of people report intense depression and sedation from Valium. 

There are other methods to make it easier to taper your pills that we can help you with.

I just wanted to give you all the information so you can make an informed decision. However if you still want to crossover we will support you and help you.

Ironman535: Apologies for interrupting your thread for a brief aside to Naf1983.

For me I know I could have tapered Flurazepam easier, being that they make this damn Benzo in capsules making them impossible to taper.

Naf1983: Although it’s a moot point in your case, you and future readers of this thread may be interested to learn that — according to its official FDA drug label (see link below) — flurazepam hydrocholoride is “… freely soluble in alcohol and very soluble in water.”  This suggests that it might be possible to make a do-it-yourself (DIY) liquid by combining the contents of a flurazepam capsule with alcohol and water if one could find credible information about (1) what proportions to use and (2) the safety, accuracy, and stability of the resulting DIY liquid.

Link:

DailyMed - FLURAZEPAM HYDROCHLORIDE capsule

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=2f2db2f5-49d3-4d47-a08a-628df49d2120

(See the Description section.)