X medical question

[Di...]

It there a clinical correlation between low serum serotonin levels and depression?  I've not heard of this test being used to treat mood disorders.

Thank you, Libertas. I was about to post a reply to Dianedeedee saying basically the same thing. It has not been proven that serotonin plays ANY part in depression and for clinicians to keep singing that same old song is doing a disservice to their patients.

Diane, please read a little about this before you drink the kool-aid.

Katz

Kate, you can read about the debunked serotonin/depression (low mood) theory here:

https://www.madinamerica.com/2022/07/decisive-blow-serotonin-hypothesis-depression/

This is not the only article about this debunked theory. A google search will yield many more . . . some not by the Mad in America bunch (who are too radical for many readers).

Hope this helps,

Katz

X

Katz

Katz yes I will read the info.  My doctor said nothing about serotonin and depression he was concerned that my level was so low.  I'm just trying to help myself my anxiety and depression has been getting worse the past few months. 🤷 I don't know what to do.

DDD, if your vitamin D is low that can cause a low mood. Mine was deficient one time and when I started taking d3 my mood lifted. Also I was having deep depression and I cut back on caffeine tea and that seemed to help.Definitely get your vitamin d checked.

Dianedeedee did not ask about whether the serotonin was the cause of her depression.  She just asked about if there were other test that she should have done that might help her to figure out what is going on with her.  If you look at her signature, you will notice that she just had covid, she is on buspirone and zoloft, along with the Ativan she is tapering from.  She has also just gone through WD from caffeine that was in her Tylenol.  If you look at all these things together, along with the low as heck serotonin level, it makes sense that all this could cause some low mood and depression.  She never said that serotonin causes depression.  She said that she hopes she can figure this out and that when she did, she hoped it would help her depression and anxiety that has been getting worse the last few months.

Her question was not really addressed as the serotonin and depression was what seemed to be zoomed in on. 

I see she has deleted her post and replies, and I am sure it is because she felt like the thread, she started asking for suggestions and support, was not helpful to her at all.

Dianedeedee did not ask about whether the serotonin was the cause of her depression.  She just asked about if there were other test that she should have done that might help her to figure out what is going on with her.  If you look at her signature, you would notice that she just had covid, she is on buspirone, along with the Ativan she is tapering from.  She has also just gone through WD from caffeine that was in her Tylenol.  If you look at all these things together, along with the low as heck serotonin level, it makes sense that all this could cause some low mood and depression.  She never said that serotonin causes depression.  She said that she hopes she can figure this out and that when she did, she hoped it would help her depression and anxiety that has been getting worse the last few months.

Her question was not really addressed as the serotonin and depression was what seemed to be zoomed in on. 

I see she has deleted her post and replies, and I am sure it is because she felt like the thread, she started asking for suggestions and support, was not helpful to her at all.

Thank you so much!!!  That is exactly what I was asking!  I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Dianedeedee did not ask about whether the serotonin was the cause of her depression.  She just asked about if there were other test that she should have done that might help her to figure out what is going on with her.  If you look at her signature, you would notice that she just had covid, she is on buspirone, along with the Ativan she is tapering from.  She has also just gone through WD from caffeine that was in her Tylenol.  If you look at all these things together, along with the low as heck serotonin level, it makes sense that all this could cause some low mood and depression.  She never said that serotonin causes depression.  She said that she hopes she can figure this out and that when she did, she hoped it would help her depression and anxiety that has been getting worse the last few months.

Thank you so much!!!  That is exactly what I was asking!  I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

You are welcome!  I hope that you get the answers you need that will help you to find out what is going on so you can find ways to hopefully get some relief!!