withdrawing from xanax

[lo...]

i was tappering off of xanax 0.5  been on  4 years was  then cut down to 0.25 for awhile an tried to cut that down to 0.12 an i find i get very moody my mind races i am hyper an i get upset very easy i finf i am back taking 0.25 again i just cant get seem to get past 0.25 i cant believe this med is so powerful

i was tappering off of xanax 0.5  been on  4 years was  then cut down to 0.25 for awhile an tried to cut that down to 0.12 an i find i get very moody my mind races i am hyper an i get upset very easy i finf i am back taking 0.25 again i just cant get seem to get past 0.25 i cant believe this med is so powerful

You caught way too fast.

Cuts are only supposed to be 10% at the very most of what dose you are on, and that includes doses your cutting from.

Xanax is hard to taper, valium is much much easier, klonopin also.

This is because Xanax stays in your system for very short time.

Here is the Ashton Manual https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

Here is info on crossing over to longer acting benzos https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha02.htm#13 There are also schedules.

Have you stabilized since going back to .25?  We can help you figure out how to taper slower if you'd like, we understand Xanax is a tough one to taper from but many members have been able to do it successfully. 

yes i feel better at .25 but i am trying to take gababentine  300mg to help with the withdraw i am trying to take .25 3 days a week an .12 4 days  of xanax a week an if needed gabapentine when i feel hyper

i felt so bad last week i had a bad outburst on my son but we made up i told him from the beginning i was trying to stop taking xanax an its hard going

Are you saying you're not taking the same amount of Xanax each day, I'm a little confused.  We recommend taking your dose every day at the same time to keep your blood serum levels even to hopefully avoid a whiplash of symptoms.  How many times a day are you dosing, most Xanax users will dose 3-4 times a day.

Gabapentin can be helpful for some but please remember it will need to be tapered if you want to stop taking it. 

Would you consider taking the same amount each day in an effort to smooth out your taper, we can help you figure out a daily dose.  How would you feel about dosing more than once a day, are you feeling interdose withdrawal?

i guess i am feeling some withdraw cause i am getting bad anxiety hyper cant focus fear its weird i cant get over a small dose what it does to you

i could only imagine what it must be like on a much higher dose

an i am very short tempered it feels like lately an wondering why again i cant believe a small dose is doing this its been two months i started cutting back started at 0.5 once a day

I don't believe there is a small dose of these drugs, you can become dependent at any dose.  This drug has changed the way your brain functions and when you reduce the drug, your brain has to work to regain that function.  Its important to understand that once you're off the drug, the next phase is recovery and its pretty much like withdrawal so its a good idea to use the drug to minimize your symptoms as you taper because once you're free you won't have it to help you anymore.  The best scenario is to accomplish as much healing as you can while tapering so that when you step  off the drug, you won't have to suffer too long.

According to your post, you're taking approximately .17 mgs of Xanax a day, I added your .25 dose 3 times a week to your dose of .12 4 days a week and divided by 7, is this correct?  Do you consider yourself stable and by stable I mean, able to carry out your daily duties, functional but not feeling great.  Would you be willing to take the same dose every day in an attempt to stablize?

Do you understand what I mean when I ask about interdose withdrawal?  With short acting drugs like Xanax, its common for the drugs effectiveness to wear off before the next dose, so members will divide their doses so they can prevent the symptoms from getting too intense. 

hi pamster  yes i am taking an down to .17 a day an yes i am able to function just have times when i have overwheling anxiety during the day but an i am able to fight thru it

I'm amazed you can function on only one dose, but glad to know you're fighting through the anxiety.  Would you be willing to take the .17 for a few days to see if you can stabilize a bit, I'm hoping you'll feel better by staying at a steady dose. 

hello hope all is well this week i am trying to take .12 of xanax for the whole week i dont want to do the liquid way also on my really bad days i am taking 300 mg of gabapentin about 4 times during the week an i know i will have to ween my self off that after the xanax i just hope my anxiety doesnt force me back to taking xanax

I see you went for the lower end to hold your dose on, I hope your anxiety won't get too bad.  The way to keep your anxiety from causing you to take more Xanax would be to slow your taper down.  I know I keep preaching this to you but the purpose of a taper is to use the drug to minimize your symptoms, rushing to get off of the drug just means you'll have to face your symptoms without the drug once you're off.  We hope to see healing take place through a slow taper allowing you to step off the drug without too much discomfort. 

so far the last 9 days i been on .12 an afraid to lower may dose at this point you read about how bad this xanax is to stop i do feel some anxiety during the daytime but it seems to pass by if i dont fight it

You actually sound quite good if you're able to work through the anxiety so it sounds like fear more than pain that's holding you back.  Don't get me wrong, fear is a huge withdrawal symptom and it's powerful but if you can fight back against it then you can continue to rid yourself of the drug that's causing the fear, crazy huh?

I think you can do this but the first thing you should probably do is quit reading horror stories and concentrate on how great it's going to be when you're finally free.

i am not sure how am i feeling just feel like i been off not myself lately not sure if its because i been cutting back with my doses or its just me

Its the drug, you can't possibly know who you are until you're free of the drug and recovered from your use.  These drugs change us but the great part is when we get rid of them, we return to who we were and its so good to feel like yourself again, that person you lost to the drug so long ago.

Pamster- Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is my light at the end of this tunnel that I am fighting for!  I have so many plans after this is over!

Lost in my mind- You have come so far!  You can definitely do this!  Slow and Steady wins the race!  You got this!

I've chased sleep all of my life, I used to drink alcohol as a sleep aid (doesn't work), I quit that and started Clonazepam (hell on earth), quit that then reached for Ambien ( :idiot:), then quit that too.  Now if I have difficulty I'll take a puff of an Indica strain of cannabis but for the most part, I've learned how to sleep on my own. 

HI PAM YES I understand i also take some puffs of indica so far i am still tappering i still at .12 of xanax been on that dose for about 3 weeks now its amazing how we become use to taking meds i ran short this month with my ambien an one night of not taking it what a nightmare i may of only got 2 hrs sleep hope all is well with you