DEPRESSION TREATMENT (meds? tms? Ketamine?)

[th...]

I have tried SSRI’s and SNRI’s for some pretty intense depression after coming off klonopin, BUT I always experience worsening insomnia, hyperactivity, skin tingling, heart palpitations, etc…

Any one else? Ketamine scares me to start due to dependence. Anyone try TMS??

• 5 months later...

I have tried both TMS and ketamine infusions.

The TMS treatments may have helped my cognitive issues which mostly cleared up around the time that I started them. They did not resolve my severe anxiety and resulting depression.

The ketamine infusions were very interesting experiences. They provided some temporary improvement, but nothing lasting.

Taking a ketamine infusion once a week for a number of weeks is in my opinion very unlikely to result in dependence so I personally would not worry about that. If you are thinking of ketamine as a more DIY project then that might be a different issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my ketamine assisted therapy sessions. I believe they have opened a part of my mind that has been closed off for so many years. It's not a miracle treatment, you won't all of a sudden not have depression after Ketamine treatment. It's more like the Ketamine opens the door for you to finally make the progress yourself.

Like you, I have extremely treatment resistant depression, I've been on everything and I mean everything. Nothing has given me any drastic improvement but I'm really putting all my eggs in the ketamine basket. I just finished my eighth treatment and I'm planning on doing a few more. I think you should give it a try.

I went through courses of TMS for both depression and anxiety. Unfortunately it did not work for me, but it's definitely worth a shot, especially if it's covered by insurance. It's a bit discomforting, but once you know what it feels like you get used to it.