Reinstating after almost 3 years off

[Bl...]

I just cant take it, I cannot function, my eyes are dry to the point I cant work. Currently in ER, lets see what happens.

Have you ever taken a rescue dose to see if it takes the pain in your eyes away?  I guess you've tried all of the OTC and prescription medications for dry eyes? 

Please let us know what the ER does for you. 

Thats a new one. Reinstating for dry eyes.

keagan,

This post feels dismissive, we can't know what Blossom4 is dealing with, and I would imagine that something bad enough to send someone to the ER is more than simply dry eyes.  We're not here to minimize anyone's suffering or to be judgmental. 

Pamster

I dont have a rescue dose with me, They did urine/blood tests, and they’re going to contact my primary dr to see if he can prescribe me something until my appt with psychiatrist on 8/16, since the psychiatrists here all went home…they ask me if i wish to stay i said no.

My eyes are dry to the point I cannot work, I cannot go out to the sunlight, I cant even walk in my house without the air of walking drying my eyes, that’s how low my tear production is.

Blossom, I am sure not a doc, but your situation seems a bit similar to mine. I have what's called Meibomian Gland Disfunction. My ophthalmologist diagnosed it. I had VERY dry eyes to the point where I couldn't really work/drive/use the computer. Anyhow, the fix (for me) for this was Restasis, a  prescription eye drop that increases tear production. It really helped me.

You can read about MGD here:

https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/meibomian-gland-dysfunction

Not saying that's the cause of your dry eyes, just a possibility. And MGB CAN be treated.

Best wishes,

Katz

Dry eyes are awful.

My optometrist recommended the following combination ‘treatment.’  It worked!  If he hadn’t, he said our next step would have been to be to try Rx drops — either Restasis (the ones oregonkatz uses) or Xiidra.

(1) ProOmega 650 EPA/450 DHA fish oil capsules from Nordic Naturals. Take two capsules with breakfast and two capsules with dinner for two months.  After two months, take two capsules per day with food.

(2) Bruder Moist-Heat-Eye Compress (see link below for more info). Daily, 10-15 minutes per treatment.

(3) Optase Intense Preservative Free Hydrating Eye Drops. Use 2-3 times daily.

(4) For individuals who put in a lot of screen time, follow the 20-20-20 rule.  For every 20 minutes spent looking at a screen, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds.

Link:

Bruder Moist Heat Eye Compress

https://bruder.com/eye-care/dry-eye/bruder-mask/

Scroll down the page to view a video about dry eye disease (MGB) and the technology behind the mask.

Guys, you are the best, thank you for being here for me.

I am currently on restasis, have punctal plugs, did the lipiflow. Nothing works, I am on prilocarpine, seems to be helping a little, use the bruder morning and night, everything I tried, the problem is more aqueous deficient. I am not producing enough water …and also have mgd. But the problem seems to be more the watery part, I got it checked with my ophtalmologist recently.

They gave me lorazepam (ativan) 1 mg 3 times a day for 10 days until I see my psych, i am not taking that dose, I took .5 and that’s it. I am not sure if I should take it tomorrow or only as needed.

Boy you guys are smart!  I stumbled in here and was just going to say think I have Sjogren's.  Not sure.  Tend to have dry eyes, definitely dry mouth.  Feel like I am dessicated ;(  Not to the extend you are, Blossom... poor thing.

I started putting olive oil (about a teaspoon, tho read you should do a tablespoon) in tea with honey/lemon.  It is not as revolting as you would think.

Will let you know if I notice anything useful from this.

I have a pending biopsy for the salivary glands since thats the only test that is needed to rule it out.

All the ANA and the inflammatory levels and immune stuff came out surprisingly normal.

And guess what, Today my eyes are normal again.. it’s all the nervous system, at least I can function….I think the .5 ativan was strong enough, even to take it “as needed”. I will see what happens in the next couple of days, honestly sometimes I feel (personally, not intended for anyone to do it, want to make this very clear) that maybe the gaba receptors need a little push to work again normally, maybe this is the push? I am not taking anything until I basically monitor my eyes for the dryness again, that’s like my starting point, and next time if I need it I will be .25 dose.

Thank you all for being here

keagan,

This post feels dismissive, we can't know what Blossom4 is dealing with, and I would imagine that something bad enough to send someone to the ER is more than simply dry eyes.  We're not here to minimize anyone's suffering or to be judgmental. 

Pamster

Trying to be helpful Pamster. You and I both know that reinstating in this situation is not a good idea. I am dismissive of notions that are worthy of dismissal.

• 1 month later...

I got dry eyes after I finished my taper. Not to the extent of the OP, but very noticeable. I had to start using artificial tears and that was only a partial solution.

Taking fish oil capsules help some btw.