DRY CUT ADVICE

[Hi...]

Would like to dry cut down from 0.125 mg of Klonopin- should I crush and make into little tiny piles?

Also how should I decrease be- 10% cuts every week?

Advice needed.

People have done piles successfully. You don't seem to be terribly sensitive with as quickly as you were able to go for most of your taper. I'd probably get a cheap "GEM 20" or similar scale on Amazon and a nail file and weigh out tablet pieces. And you may be able to handle that speed as well given your track record. You just couldn't handle the 50% cut from .125 to .0625, which is understandable. Just pay attention to your symptoms. The recommendation here is always no more than 10% every 10 to 14 days. The BIC recommendation is no more than 10% per month, but, again, you can likely go faster. Just pay attention to your body like you have been doing already.

• 2 weeks later...

My doctor is doing dry cuts with me.  I went from 2mg to 1.5 mg. It wasn't too bad. I did have side effects, but they weren't extreme.

I stayed at that does for 3 months.

He recently reduced my dose to 1mg. I was like I don't think so dude.  I had enough klonopin to play with, so I'm taking 1.25mg instead.

this cut hasn't been fun. I have severe nausea and GI issues. Plus, a lot of fatigue.

I'm thinking of trying to do the ashton method. I need to learn more about it. My doctor acts as if he's never heard of it before.  I know he has.

I can't stand the guy. Looking for a new doctor, but really hard to find one here.

Good luck with yours.

• 4 months later...

People have done piles successfully. You don't seem to be terribly sensitive with as quickly as you were able to go for most of your taper. I'd probably get a cheap "GEM 20" or similar scale on Amazon and a nail file and weigh out tablet pieces. And you may be able to handle that speed as well given your track record. You just couldn't handle the 50% cut from .125 to .0625, which is understandable. Just pay attention to your symptoms. The recommendation here is always no more than 10% every 10 to 14 days. The BIC recommendation is no more than 10% per month, but, again, you can likely go faster. Just pay attention to your body like you have been doing already.

The GEM 20 scale- how would that be helpful? these scales only calibrate to 0.001 grams and my 0.125 mg klonopin. weighs less than this. I am so confused how I can accurately weigh pieces this small?

I want to do dry cutting for sure, like I said, Just need a scale that weighs pills at this weight?

I have just purchased the scales and a pill cutter.  I plan to cut small bits off and weigh the larger part of the pill.  I am going to be tapering from 10mg of Diazepam to 9.25mg for 2 weeks then see how I feel.  Then all being well 8.75 mg and just keep going in small increments.  You can get a weighing scale on your smart phone.

I am really nervous about tapering.  I wish you luck.

Jo

The GEM 20 scale- how would that be helpful? these scales only calibrate to 0.001 grams and my 0.125 mg klonopin. weighs less than this. I am so confused how I can accurately weigh pieces this small?

I want to do dry cutting for sure, like I said, Just need a scale that weighs pills at this weight?

I think you’re a little confused, Hilly.

If you reduced your current dose 0.125 by 0.001, then your new dose would be 0.124, so basically you could keep reducing like that until you get all the way down to the 0.001 which the scales weigh all the way down to. Does this make sense to you?

I think you’re a little confused, Hilly.

If you reduced your current dose 0.125 by 0.001, then your new dose would be 0.124, so basically you could keep reducing like that until you get all the way down to the 0.001 which the scales weigh all the way down to. Does this make sense to you?

Yes, I am /. was confused because I thought the scale I had was sensitive to the 0.00g weight but I guess not! I need another scale. My confusion was based on the scale I have, I thought that mine was a high precision scale so I assumed my pills. were not being. properly weighed. 

Hello!

Good news, I found a pharmacy that was able to do liquid. I know have liquid Klonopin starting at my dose of 0.125 mg/ 1.25 ML

My goal is to taper down this way starting next week.

I was thinking of 10% every two weeks- does this seem reasonable? Thank you.

Thank you for sharing your good news with us, Hilly301.  We have many members who have tapered successfully using a compounded clonazepam liquid.  (Fyi If your liquid has 0.125mg of clonazepam in 1.25mL of liquid, its concentration is 0.1mg/mL … using this as the concentration makes the math easier.)

Just checking … are you aware that some — but not all — individuals experience a difference between taking their benzodiazepine in solid versus liquid dosage form?  The only way to know how you will respond to the change in dosage form is to conduct an experiment.  If you are not already planning to do so, I encourage you switch to the liquid dosage form at your current dose and then wait 10-12 days to see how you respond to the change.  (If you are not already doing so, I encourage you to being keeping a daily taper log).  If all is well, then you can begin making reductions. 

Given your history, you might want to follow the guidance from the Colorado Consortium and begin with an initial trial reduction of 5% or less.  If all goes well, you can gradually increase your percent reduction. It’s far easier to speed up a ‘too slow’ taper than it is to slow down and recover from a ‘too fast’ taper.

Thank you for sharing your good news with us, Hilly301.  We have many members who have tapered successfully using a compounded clonazepam liquid.  (Fyi If your liquid has 0.125mg of clonazepam in 1.25mL of liquid, its concentration is 0.1mg/mL … using this as the concentration makes the math easier.)

Just checking … are you aware that some — but not all — individuals experience a difference between taking their benzodiazepine in solid versus liquid dosage form?  The only way to know how you will respond to the change in dosage form is to conduct an experiment.  If you are not already planning to do so, I encourage you switch to the liquid dosage form at your current dose and then wait 10-12 days to see how you respond to the change.  (If you are not already doing so, I encourage you to being keeping a daily taper log).  If all is well, then you can begin making reductions. 

Given your history, you might want to follow the guidance from the Colorado Consortium and begin with an initial trial reduction of 5% or less.  If all goes well, you can gradually increase your percent reduction. It’s far easier to speed up a ‘too slow’ taper than it is to slow down and recover from a ‘too fast’ taper.

Thanks for your fast feedback,

that's discouraging to hear:( I was thinking a dose is a dose so wouldn't affect me changing pill to liquid... I am so eager to get going with getting off.

I will give it at least a week and see how I feel, I guess I can also just do 5%. I feel my symptoms can't get much worse than from what I've experience but I suppose that is naive thinking.

You are welcome.  Please don’t be discouraged.  Remember, I said SOME individuals experience a difference when switching from solid to liquid dosage forms; others do not.  The only way to know is to try. 

Members who report issues with liquids often have made multiple changes at the same time — e.g., they switched to liquid AND they made a reduction in dose.  Another common issue is that members do not give themselves sufficient time to adjust fully and completely to the liquid. 

I’m glad you are considering making a smaller, initial trial reduction in dose.  One of the keys to a successful taper is discovering what percent reduction works for you at a particular point in your taper.  As I’m sure you’ve read here, withdrawal symptoms can indeed get much worse if one tries to rush a taper.

Hello!

Good news, I found a pharmacy that was able to do liquid. I know have liquid Klonopin starting at my dose of 0.125 mg/ 1.25 ML

My goal is to taper down this way starting next week.

I was thinking of 10% every two weeks- does this seem reasonable? Thank you.

That’s great news, Hilly!

Lib: Thank you…!!