Feeling drugged and sedated

[co...]

I just crossed over from .5mg Xanax XR + 6 mg Valium to 16mg Valium in the morning on Sunday.  Today I am feeling OK, but drugged and sedated (I will of course take this any day over W/D).  My questions is: Since I just crossed over to finally to all Valium ( a long time goal), is is OK to start reducing so soon?  I certainly don't want to mess things up for me, but at the same time, don't want to take more then what I need.  Perhaps I should give it a week to allow my body to become used to just the Valium (it has been 17 years on Xanax), then reduce by 1mg this Sunday to lesson the sedation and drugged feeling.

Thoughts?

This is the first time in 17 years that I am no longer taking Xanax!  I know I have replaced it with Valium- but the fact that I am able to do this is a HUGE accomplishment for me because I know I can taper from Valium, but was unable to taper from Xanax.  That's not to say others can't, it just didn't work for me.

I would appreciate any thoughts! 

Love this team of people! 

How are you feeling today, did you decide to hold, has the sedation lessened?  I think its a great accomplishment to have crossed over to Valium, once members do it they're pretty happy the did but it can be a beast getting there, you have to want it pretty bad, so way to go!  :thumbsup:

Pamster, Yes!  I crossed over in steps, but its finally complete!  I took my last Xanax XR Saturday and Sunday will be one week on all Valium!  I am so happy to have said good bye finally after 17 long years of Xanax!  It is a huge relief!  I crossed over to Valium for my evening dose and tapered that, so I knew I could do it and be successful with tapering the Valium.  I am sedated and feel like my brain has a cast on it (it's healing and broke), but with time, that will heal and then I can build it back up again.  I am looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel. So happy to be on just Valium and so grateful to have an understanding Pdoc and this group!

I truly never thought I could get this far!  I still have a long road ahead of me, but will not give up!  The cognitive (memory) issues for me are the worst, but I have invested in sticky notes! LOL  Have them for everything as I don't remember anything!  It's literally a workout to use my brain, but I know it's healing and will get better. I am holding here at 16mg morning and 6mg evening for a week just to get my brain used to all Valium, then will taper to 15mg morning and keep the 6mg evening- I may hold longer depending how this week goes.

Thanks for asking!  I am still here and not giving up!

Thank you so much for your support!

I am sedated and feel like my brain has a cast on it (it's healing and broke), but with time, that will heal and then I can build it back up again.

Hey Cooper after which dose do yo feel sedated? May I suggest tapering down the dose that makes you feel sedated, you may be ok with less. As I said in previous threads to you that the ratio is not exact for everyone. I understand if your not comfortable but if your feeling ok and only sedated maybe you can reduce a couple mg and have less to taper. I converted over to less on my midday dose and it worked out fine. Again only a suggestion, but If your going to do it I wud do it sooner than later since you will start to adjust to the dose you picked.

Joeb

Thanks Joeb, Yes, I actually remember you telling me this (shocking), but I was nervous at first and just wanted to see how things went.  Since they are going good, I may reduce my morning dose tomorrow as it seems to be working out for me (just sedated).  How much do you suggest I reduce by?

Joeb, you did day a couple of Mg- sorry!  I can try 14 tomorrow and see how that goes for a week.  Do you think that is to much? 

Joeb, you did day a couple of Mg- sorry!  I can try 14 tomorrow and see how that goes for a week.  Do you think that is to much?

I’m sorry Cooper I shud have explained more. It’s a feel thing for you to decide. I can’t guarantee and exact reduction that will work all I can say is that I reduced to 3.5 instead of 3.75 and I was ok. But we are all different and my dose was a lot less. My opinion, which is only an opinion is that at 2 mg less at that high of a total dose with your being very sedated and doing well otherwise shud be ok but you have to feel right about it and know it’s a guess.

I’m sorry i shud have given you more in my answer

Go with your gut. There is a lot of trial and error in this process

Joeb

Thanks Joeb, reduced today to 14- I will let you know how it goes.  I wasn't feeling any W/d- only sedation, so I think this could work and save me time tapering later.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am going to stay here anyway until August 21st- after we move my son into college!  Stressful event!