Temazapam or ambien withdrawals

[VE...]

Yes I have one nearby. Do you have any tips on handling the lnsomnia that I know is coming from lowering this dose? I originally started ambien because of severe sleep onset insomnia so I’m sure that is headed my way again. Also the inter dose withdrawals are hitting me by 1 pm the next day and making work a horrible experience. Will taking gaba, magnesium, Theanine and niacin help these in any way? Oh and what is your opinion on Picamillon? Thanks for your input👍

It might be time to start dosing during the day, maybe just a sliver subtracted from your evening dose to make it through the day. 

I'm not enthusiastic about supplements because I see what works for some will harm others, our central nervous system is so highly sensitized we don't react like we normally would.  If you do decide to add anything, be sure to only add one at a time so you can know what's what.  This board has a lot of opinions on it, there are many threads on this subject.  Alternative Therapies & Supplements

Thank you. I will probably add a sliver which will be easier to do if it’s in a liquid form. Can’t do it that with the capsules currently have. Slept 5 hours last night and feel pretty good right now. I try to get most of my stuff done early because I know the(storm) is coming by noon or 1nish. Thank you again .

• 2 weeks later...
My visit with new doctor is finally here, a quick question if she is not up for switching me from temazapam to valium for the taper would clonazepam be a valid choice if she suggest that? What I’m on now is a very short acting benzo which is very hard to taper from and clonazepam is along acting one and should be easier to taper right? I  just need to be sure what I’m getting into here before I go. I’m super paranoid about introducing anything new into my body that is going to wreak even more havoc on me than the temazepam already has. I’ve now officially been on this med for a month and 3 days and still am getting interdose withdrawals within 12 hours of taking my nighttime dose for insomnia. Thanks for any advice you have.

Clonazepam has a decent half life, but you're smart to have another option ready, many doctors in the US are hesitant to prescribe Valium for some reason.  Yes, it will feel different but then so will Valium but your interdose sounds miserable.  Most members will dose Clonazepam twice a day so there can be interdose with that as well.

The most the doctor would do is either prescribe Ativan or try to taper me off of temazepam for 5 days 21mg then 5 days 15 then 5 days 7.5.

She told me that I should stabilize on 1 to 2 mg Ativan since the temazepam was clearly bothering me into the next day and if and when I wanted to come off the Ativan she would help me taper from that. I suspect the taper from the Ativan would be similar to the temazepam taper she suggested. I picked up the 1 mg Ativan prescription but am very hesitant about starting on it.  While Ativan has helped me sleep in the past with no interdose withdrawals the next day that was before I started in the temazepam and I didn’t take it that long. My body has changed now so who knows it might not be any different. I am frustrated and don’t know what to do. Probably take another month to get into another doctor. Is this just another disaster waiting for me once I start on this? Is Ativan more addictive? Worse to try and come off? So many questions so few answers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sitting here reading your post and I'm so frustrated, why would she suggest a benzodiazepine with such a short half life?  Don't get me wrong, Ativan is better than Temazepam but we have plenty of members who've had to crossover to Valium because they suffer with interdose withdrawal. 

I'm not sure what to advise, you could take your chances with another doctor or you can work with her and go on the Ativan but what happens when she proposes a taper that's too rapid and you try to go slower and she won't prescribe you enough pills to stay functioning?  :tickedoff:

What is your current dose of Temazepam?

https://clincalc.com/Benzodiazepine/

30 mgs is my current. I’m still sleeping well on it but symptoms still hit sometimes early mostly by noon. I forgot to mention that she was going to give me seraquel to take along side the temazepam taper to help sleep. I don’t know anything about that drug. The main reason I went was to get a longer acting benzo and I mentioned that but apparently she’s not on board with it. She also wants me to start at 1mg for sleep but the chart says 2mg Ativan =30 mg temazapam so that doesn’t add up to me either.

We have a lot of members who have tried Seroquel, you might want to check out this thread in support groups. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=163390.0

That's why I included the Equivalent Benzodiazepine Calculator, these dosage equivalencies can widely vary and if your doctor doesn't prescribe what you specifically need, it can be painful. 

I wish I knew how to help because waiting longer for another doctor will keep you dealing with interdose for longer.

Just the longer half life but if you do decide to take it, at least you've taken it before and know what it feels like.  Some members have a difficult time switching to another medication because of the different properties.

I did not taper from temazepam but am surprised to read some postings about how is so much the lesser of these benzos.  I was on Temazepam for only 21 days at 15mg with the last few days of the total 21 days at 7.5 mg.  I am still in recovery at month 14 since CT.  I did not have any history of benzos prior to this short- term usage of Temazepam.