Dose to low in evening

[co...]

I was taking Xanax XR 1mg in the morning and 2.4mg Valium in the evening.  When I tapered to 2.4mg Valium in the evening, my W/D symptoms became to much- but only in the evening.  Insomnia (couldn't sleep more then 2 hours at a time and no more then 4 hours a night), digestive issues, migraine.  I was fine during the day, but at night I was a disaster. 

I decided to keep my total dose the same, but crossover to more Valium during the day and add more at night.  So, keeping the total dose at 22.4mg of Benzo with the calculation of 1mg Xanax XR = to 20mg Valium.

I switched to this: Xanax XR .5mg, 6.2mg Valium (morning), 6.2mg Valium (evening).

My body seems to do better on the Valium than the Xanax XR.  I am planning to hold here for 2 weeks then cross to:

16.2mg Valium (morning), 6.2mg Valium (evening) and hold here for 2 weeks to give my body time to get fully crossed over to Valium. 

Then start to taper again just from Valium.  I have found that I really need to sleep at night, so lets hope this works and I sleep tonight for at least more then 2 hours at a time!

I have extra Valium in several doses plus liquid Valium to taper from, so I was able to make this adjustment.  I see my Pdoc next week and I hope he is OK with me making this adjustment.  He is a very understanding and compassionate person, so I hope he doesn't get mad at me.  I had to make a change due to not sleeping at night.  I kept the dose the same, just switched it around so I could function.  I wonder if I should call his office tomorrow and ask him if this is OK to do or just tell him next week.  My thought process was if this works and I am able to sleep better, my body will have a good week of this change and I could report to him that this plan was successful.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?   

Personally I don't see a problem with adjusting your doses if it wasn't working for you. You've kept the total daily dose the same, so I can't imagine why your doc would have an issue with it. It's inevitable that we sometimes need to experiment and take some risks during this process to make things easier on ourselves. I hope it works and you get some zzzzz's.

jelly baby,

Thank you for your reply! This adjustment has worked!  I slept last night for 8 hours!  I feel so much better today and can actually think a bit better and form sentences!  LOL 

It's the same total Benzo dose, but I just needed to adjust it as it was way to low in the evening.  This process is so hard and individual, I don't think my Pdoc would be mad, but you know how doctors can get sometimes.  He is the kindest doctor I have met and I drive 2.5 hours each way to see him.  Let's hope for the best next week when I see him. 

I kind of feel I have taken the guess work out of the process for him and figured out what will work for me.  I hope he see's it this way.

8hrs!! Gosh I'm envious of you.  :laugh: In all seriousness,  I'm very happy it worked and I'm sure you'll doctor will be happy as well.

Thank you and I hope so!!  I am a bit nervous and have it written down exactly what I did, this way I won't forget!  I can't trust my brain to remember at the moment.  Brain Fog- the struggle is real!