Urgent help needed please!!

[le...]

I am in need of some urgent help please.

I have been on 10mg Valium daily for over 20 years as prescribed. In 2012 my Dr added 0.5mg of Klonopin (alongside Valium) that worked wonders for about a year, then turned on me. I have been off Klon for a few years after a long taper.

I am totally agoraphobic, as in I can't leave my home. If I try to leave my home I loose control of my bladder and bowels which is distressing and embarrassing.

I found out a few days ago after my dad was in hospital that he has an aggressive form of cancer and doesn't have long to live. My dad lives 108 miles away. I spoke to my Dr earlier and she has prescribed 7 days of 0.5mg Klon tablets. If I take these tablets for a week, will it ease my agoraphobia so I can visit my dad before it's to late?

Part of me is worried that taking just one Klon tablet may cause a wave.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

When you say the Klonopin "turned on me", what do you mean?  Do you mean they stopped working or that they created more anxiety?  Sorry to hear about your dad and your predicament.

Thank you for your reply

It's so hard to know if it made me worse anxiety wise due to the Valium was making me worse, thinking back on it. This may sound strange but if I increase my Valium dose I feel more anxious. When I started Klonopin it relieved the anxiety, then kind of stopped working. I never increased the Klon dose so I don't know if it would have helped.

It sounds like the Klonopin is the best choice.  You'll be taking it short-term, so I don't see a problem in taking it.  It sounds like you reached tolerance and it stopped working, but that was some time ago.  It did work once for you and it sounds like the Valium might be the issue anxiety-wise.

Keep in mind that my advice is only a suggestion.  Your situation is complicated and I'm not a doctor.

I really do appreciate your help and advice. I will take 0.125mg tomorrow, so quarter of a 0.5mg tablet and just hope I will be okay with it. If so then I'll take a 0.5mg tablet for a few days and hopefully it will ease my anxiety so I can see my dad.

Looking back, Valium has caused so many problems. Sadly the Dr who prescribed them to me in March 2000 said that they are a safe medication.