Help with switching to Valium

[hr...]

I've been taking Xanax off and on for the past 10 years due to panic attacks and difficulty sleeping. My doctor would switch me every two years from 1mg of xanax to 20mg of Diazepam. During Covid, with the stress of my job, I started using 2mg of Xanax, again only at night, with the support of my doctor. Long story short, my long term employer switched our health insurance and I was forced to see a different doctor. This new doctor told me that she would not support my xanax use and put me on a very aggressive tapering plan. She wouldn't listen to me at all when I told her that the tapering plan was too fast and she refused to incorporate Diazepam to help me with the withdrawls. Per her instructions, I reduced from 2mg to 1.50 mg and it was pure hell the 1st three nights. Severe withdrawls. I decided to add back .25mg and the withdrawls became tolerable. I then decided to contact my previous doctor and paid cash to see her. She agreed to incorporate Diazepam according to the Ashton Manual. Here's my question and confusion.... the Ashton Manual states to take the benzos three times a day, but I only take it at night. How do I slowly add in Diazepam if I only take it at night? I really don't want to start taking these pills during the day because I have a very high functioning job and I've never once taken pills during the day. Any tapering ideas and/or switching to Diazepam ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I responded to your other post, but I see more of your story here.  If you're not suffering with interdose withdrawal I don't see a reason to cross over to Valium.  It may be an option later if things change but for now, I'd stick with the Xanax.

I'm glad you were able to see your old doctor, that new appears to be close minded and ignorant about this process.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a very similar story. I took 2mg Xanax nightly for over 15 years and was asked to taper off in 2 weeks and went into severe withdraw. I found a Dr who knew about BZD tapering. He had me switch to Valium. He wasn't sure how much I would need to start so he said start at 20mg, if withdraw symptoms persist, go up to 30mg, and take it at bedtime when I would normally take the Xanax. 20mg worked to eliminate withdraw. Then he had me take 20mg for 12 days to get a stable metabolite in my system, and instructed me to reduce by 20% each week. I thought the 20% a week was a lot/aggressive, but I have been able to follow this schedule without feeling withdraw. I'm now at 6mg.

He also said it would get tough at the lower doses--those will be the hardest to taper. I asked what "lower" was and he said 5mg and less.

I'm sorry you have an unsympathetic new doctor. I had to search my provider directory for a family physician that is also board certified in addiction medicine. They understand harm reduction. I sent the Ashton Manual to the Dr that wanted me to quit Xanax cold turkey. It's hard to ignore science.