Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol Long After Benzo WD Is Totally Over?

[...]

I stopped taking Benzos at the end of 2017, and have not had any alcohol since early 2018.  I believe that I kindled when I quit in 2017, from benzo use years before.  It took me about two years, until 2020, to feel normal again.  All of my WD and Post Withdrawal physical symptoms and depression have been gone for at least two years.

I have never had an alcohol problem, at any time in my life.  I am in my 60s and probably drank far less than the average person does.  Now that I'm off benzos for over four years, I would like to know if it is safe to have an occasional drink or two.  Has anybody who has been in my position tried consuming alcoholic beverages socially, years after they have been off benzos and, if so, did anything bad happen as a result?  Thank you.

Even the most conservative of people say you should wait 2 years symptom free. I believe, BenzoBuddies recommends waiting a year (sure I read it somewhere), Baylissa and Bristol Tranquilizer project recommend 6 months.

So I would say it would be safe to try a small beer or something, as a test. Just start slow and see how you fare.

I personally have the occasional drink or 2 now and I'm not healed, with no major problem. There's far too much scare mongering when it comes to alcohol IMHO.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I feel better about it, still not entirely sure I want to try a drink, but I'm getting there.

I have a glass of wine now and then. I was 3 years+ away from benzos when I tried half a glass of wine. No problem. Then a full glass. Again, no problem.

Hope this helps,

Katz