Has anyone switched to Valium in order to taper from Xanax?

[On...]

Hello,

If so, how long was your taper and what is the standard?

I guess the Ashton Manual is confusing me. Just looking for general info. Also, does Suboxone work for

Xanax withdrawal?

I currently take 1.5 mg xanax per day at six hour intervals So how would I switch to valium and how long should it take to do a taper?

.5 at midnight, .5 at 6 a.m. .25 at noon, .25 at 6 p.m.

Thank you!

Do you have a doctor willing to prescribe Valium, some are hesitant so that's the first question I have for you.

Many Xanax users have found relief from their inter-dose withdrawal by crossing over to Valium but it comes with some challenges so its important to understand there is a bit of an adjustment period where you may feel sedation and depression but these side effects usually dissipate when you become accustomed to it.  However, some members can't make the transition and end up going back to their original benzo.

You could start out like this for example.

.5 Xanax at midnight

.5 Xanax at 6 a.m,

5 mgs Valium at noon

.25 Xanax at 6 p.m.

Hold for a week or two then make another substitution.  The length of your taper will depend on your symptoms, they should guide you so it's important to keep good records of your substitutions, your reductions and your symptoms.

You asked about Suboxone for withdrawal, I don't have personal experience but I've never seen any members mention it to be helpful.

The equivalency dose from 1.5mgs of Xanax to Valium would fall somewhere between 20-25mgs.

I did a direct switch from Xanax to Valium without too many difficulties, albeit at a much lower dose than this. Some people find a gradual transition more tolerable.

Perhaps try substituting 0.5mgs of Xanax for 7-8mgs of Valium on the first week, then do the same again for the 2nd week. Then by the start of the 3rd week you will be fully switched over. This will allow ample time for Valium to build up in the blood stream as you cut out the Xanax.

I am currently tapering from Xanax XR using Valium. Like Pamster said, it comes with sedation and depression.  For me (and everyone is so different) it's been so much easier tapering from Valium then Xanax.  I was very sedated and a bit depressed for about a month, then it lifted once I got used to the Valium.  It's going good now, but I know once I taper the evening dose of Valium, I will then have to deal with the same sedation/depression again while I taper the morning dose.  For me, it's the best plan.  I would rather be sedated and depressed for  a month then have W/D symptoms.  At least I know what it's from and that it will pass.  As far as tapering, I am in no rush and will probably take about 1 year or maybe even 1/1/2 years to taper.  I am working, have a family and have been taking Xanax as prescribed for 17 years.  I am encouraged and excited I am down to 5mg of Valium in the evening.  Baby steps for me!  Hugs and best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...
Xanax w/d hit hard after switching to V.  I was right!  I thought I was imagining it.  Depression and sedation, too.  It better lift.  I need a life.

Widesky

How much Valium are you currently taking now?  How many times a day?  How often are you tapering?