Anyone take an antibiotic for SIBO?

[se...]

Dr thinks I have SIBO and ordered an antibiotic.  I am terrified to take it as I seem to react to everything.

Anyone have a positive experience?  Is it worth taking??

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [se...]

• [Lo...]

• [op...]

• [Ho...]

I supposedly have a lot going on in my gut that requires an antibiotic but am not going there. I had a friends do a GI map test (using poop) and they wanted to have me take an antibiotic but I opted for taking something natural (mastic) instead.

So I cannot answer your question but just know there are natural alternatives out there. Just today I started munching on whole cloves to try to clear up another bacterial overgrowth.

I supposedly have a lot going on in my gut that requires an antibiotic but am not going there. I had a friends do a GI map test (using poop) and they wanted to have me take an antibiotic but I opted for taking something natural (mastic) instead.

So I cannot answer your question but just know there are natural alternatives out there. Just today I started munching on whole cloves to try to clear up another bacterial overgrowth.

Holdingon,

Call me crazy but have you looked into Manuka Honey? I take it for its antibacterial/antiviral effects but its supposed to have an incredible impact on the gut and bad bacteria.

Seasalt,

Ive also read some studies where its been shown to improve issues such as SIBO.

Dont get me wrong, i'm not by any means saying its a fix all but I'm an all natural kind of gal after the setbacks I've had and if something as small as honey can help me im ALL for it! haha!

Yes I agree with Holdingontohope and Itsmytime, there are so many natural options out there, doctors love to prescribe antibiotics for sibo but really they just fix it temporarily and  it comes right back, you can try mastic gum, dgl, aloe vera, slippery elm, a good probiotic, colloidal silver ( make sure you take it away from probiotic), ozonated water, Manuka honey, garlic( if you can tolerate it), so many great natural things out there. Feel better soon!

Thanks everyone, I agree with your posts.  I have a feeling a lot of the gut symptoms are withdrawal as they are not consistent.

I’m more comfortable with a natural approach for sure.

Seasalt,

I just saw your post.  Low and behold, I just started the antibiotic 2 days ago for SIBO.  It's Xifaxan 550 mgs 3 times per day.  Today is only my third  day so it's far too soon to know if it's working.  I'll be on it for 2 weeks.  However, zero side effects at all....  Literally not one.  In fact it's the first antibiotic I've ever taken that has produced zero side effects.  Fingers crossed that it stays that way.

I did the "natural" route for 3-4 months!  It didn't work!  it just made me more frustrated and starved of calories, food, and nutrients from elimination and insanely strict diets!  I've tried the manuka honey, probiotics, .... the list goes on.  It simply got unbearable! The bacteria from SIBO lives in the intestines and it's difficult for food to retain any healing properties after having to bypass the mouth, esophogus, and intestines.  This antibiotic is specific in that it is broken down (absorbed) in the intestines (which is why it's also used for travelers diarrhea).  Modern medicine isn't always bad.  My hope is that the antibiotic in conjunction with the natural remedies (that just didn't work on their own) will be the "cure".

I honestly attribute this SIBO to slow mobility due to the taper.  I have never had a digestive problem in my life (54 years) until I started on this taper journey. 

I'll keep you posted.  I know your stomach issues have also been horrendous!

Lori

Lori,

How crazy is this?  You also have SIBO?  I am happy to hear it is working, reluctantly after speaking with my doctor about the natural route, I have decided to fill the script however the cost is $2500.00 so my insurance has to pre-approve (it takes 72 hours).  Do you think you got a head start on the bacteria by trying other approaches first?  Anyway, I am happy to hear it is not causing side effects, I hope I have the same luck. 

I agree with you on the motility issue, I feel mine is also from motility at this point.  I had digestive issues prior to benzo use, but nothing like I have experienced, praying this antibiotic does the trick and I can start to heal my gut after all this time.

Question, did they actually test you for SIBO?  Mine doctor did not, she said she was positive based on symptoms alone it was SIBO.  I hope she is right..

I know, right!  I thought the same thing when I stumbled upon your post.  I had just posted about the antibiotic the day prior but didn't get any responses.  I was afraid to take it as well. 

I did end up having nausea yesterday but I think it's due to the fact that I have not eaten much in two weeks and am probably giving myself gastritis! I very literally have been trying to starve it and have been going all day without any food until a small meal in the evening.  This wasn't smart!  Then taking the antibiotic on an empty stomach as well.  Today I'm going to eat 4 small meals and see if that helps. 

They did not test me either. At the end of the day my doctor just said that it truly sounds like SIBO and since it's not getting any better over the course of 3-4 months with complete elimination diets, then we might as well go ahead and treat it.  To be honest, you know it's really bad for me to pop an antibiotic!  I don't even take so much as an Advil these days so I was desperate!  I truly hope that this works!

I read online how much the med costs and I assumed the posts that I was reading were very old and that a cheaper generic was used.  I had no idea it was still this expensive!  It didn't cost me a dime.  I have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance and it went through the same day with no copay!  I think I would have fallen over if I was told how much it cost!  Holy Cow!!!!

I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing.  Good luck to you as well!  This stomach stuff is out of control!

Fondly,

Lori

Lori,

I have watched many u-tube video's and based on other posts here it appears there is a pretty nasty "die off period", that causes nausea, higher acidity in the stomach as well, which could by why you are having gastritis type symptoms.  I am not surprised you have these symptoms.  I think it is a great idea to eat four small meals so you have something to buffer.    They also said NOT to take antacids as part of the problem is likely low acidity in the gut.  No lie, this is as complicated as the drug withdrawal. UGH

Many say you have to take motility drugs as well as digestive enzymes to bring the digestion back.  I was going to ask my doctor about this at my next appointment in April.  I also have a capsule endoscopy that I am waiting on pre-approval for as well.  I have Anthem Blue Cross and they said there is an approval process required.  I will still be responsible for a portion of it (20%) but I am ok with that as long as it works.

Good luck, let us know how you do with this.  I will as well.

Thanks for this information!  I truly appreciate it!

I was so worried about the nausea and burning feeling in my stomach yesterday because i was genuniely afraid it was gastritis and consequently, I didn't take my two doses of the antibiotic late afternoon and before bed.  I was too sick to my stomach.  I know, stupid of me!  But I felt better this morning (stomach wise) so I went ahead and resumed the antibiotic.  I'm just going to have to grin and bare it.  I really appreciate your research as it put my mind at ease that it's just par for the course if it's working.  I promise to keep you posted! 

Also... I really have to wonder if this is truly the "die off" because the first 2-3 day of taking the antibiotic I didn't have any side effects or stomach issues whatsoever.  Normal for me with an antibiotic is that the side effects hit you immediately and then your body adjusts.  This is the first time that they didn't start until day 4 of taking an antibiotic.  Maybe the die off is the reason.  I'm also having heartburn and a lot of burping since resuming the meds this morning.  UGH! is right!

Again, many thanks!  Talk to you soon.

Lori

Lori,

Again, while watching the videos it noted that most people get hit on day nine, but it sounds like you have already started to feel the impact.  Did the small meals help at all?  Try not to take can antacid if you can help it. 

I think this may have started for me years ago when I was put on a PPI for over a year.  It causes low stomach acid and the situation goes down hill from there.

My prescription was approved today,  so I will pick it up tomorrow.  I have my endoscopy next Friday so I will begin the my antibiotic  the following Monday.  (YES.. I AM PROCRASTINATING)! My doctor said  to take meds three times a day, she wants me to start with one pill per day and work myself up because of all the medication sensitivity I have experienced.  She basically said the goal was to finish all 42 pills.  What a long haul...

Praying for the best, let me know how you are feeling.

I had to laugh when I read your post... I waited two days after picking it up before I got up the guts to take it as well!  LOL! 

I've been on PPI's off an on for over 10 years! I'm pretty certain that didn't help my cause.  I don't want to jinx myself since I missed a few doses yesterday, but although I have some stomach irritation again, so far it's been today after eating 3 meals.  I also made sure not to take it this morning until after I ate something.  It says that it can be taken with or without food but I definitely learned what with food is the way to go!  Hopefully it wont get as bad as it did yesterday.  Fingers crossed!!!

Same here... 42 pills! 

I'll keep checking in with you.  :thumbsup:  Hope you're having a great night! 

It's supposed to be close to 60 degrees here tomorrow and I'm praying that I can get outside for a walk!  I'm sure my digestive system would appreciate some exercise! 

Lor

Lori and Seasalt -

I also have SIBO! I've been fighting that and slow motility for 7 months now. I hope it's okay that I'm jumping on this thread, but have been looking to see if anyone else is dealing with these issues. In May of last year, I c/t from a super low dose of diazepam (taken for morning anxiety) and a super low and inconsistent does of mirtazapine (also taken for anxiety). Doses were so tiny that I didn't think I needed to taper.

I was mostly okay but then one month later, my gut completely shut down. They ran a million tests (especially because I had ruptured appendix and cdiff in 2019) and found nothing. They diagnosed me with SIBO. I saw at least five doctors and none of them felt that this could be a result of withdrawal, which I thought it was (and still do).

All fall, I was sick. I did two rounds of Rifaximin (my insurance covered it). Both times, it helped for a bit and then the sxs came back. (Lori - that might not happen to you - it does work for like 50% of people so definitely keep thinking positively!) I tried a bunch of herbs, too. Nausea was one of my worst sxs. Also bloating and general GI dysfunction.

I started getting a lot of anxiety, too, and heart palps. I (stupidly) went back on my low dose of diazepam. It did help with the nausea a bit (probably because some of the nausea was still w/d). Then one of my GI docs suggested lorazepam for the nausea. I was so desperate at that point for relief that I took it for a month thinking it was "low dose" - not understanding that ".05" in L = 5mg of D. I stopped taking in January b/c it wasn't really helping and then - bam! - I went into acute and that's how I'm here in this mess!

I still have the gut issues but afraid to treat them now - all of the pharmaceutical prokinetics (gut motility agents) are potentially neurotoxic in one way or another. The herbs could also be intense of bodies in w/d.

I'm wondering if either of you have any experience with Iberogast?

In any case, please keep me posted and feel free to ask any questions if you have any. Rifaximin is a fairly safe antibiotic. I hope it clears this for you, Lori! I would really love to hear how you're both doing and see if we can share tips and tricks and things. (Also, if you have SIBO, it's recommended NOT to take probiotics or prebiotics - these things all make it worse, unfortunately ... I learned the hard way!)

Hello open road,

I am so sorry to hear you had such a rough experience!  Thank you for chiming in.  There is no doubt withdrawal is playing a role here.  I have read that antibiotics and some herbal therapies do not work.  Some people have gone on a liquid nutrient shakes for 21 days to help eradicate it.  If the motility issue is not felt with you will play round Robin with this.

Like you, I am terrified to take those drugs honestly so I can not comment.  The thought of suffering through this treatment only to have it returned is discouraging.  Did you change your diet at all?  What about a natural tea that promotes cleansing?  Maybe that would help things along??

I take a plant based probiotic daily, I’m afraid not to take it while on antibiotics for fear of C-diff?  What are your thoughts on this??  Can you elaborate??

It is so hard to know what is the right path with this…

Hi Seasalt,

I'm sorry you're going through this, too! As a note, I tried the Elemental Diet in the fall (I tried everything!) and got so sick on it that I couldn't tolerate it for more than 4 days (that's the liquid diet you mentioned). Some people swear by it, but I don't know ... I've seen a lot of folks who get through that torturous 21 days and ... still have SIBO.

You're right about the motility ... I was prescribed low-dose erythromycin for that but I felt it was amping my neuro sxs so I had to discontinue it. I'm working with a naturopath still - he just gave me a new protocol today. I'm going to try it because my gut is just so unhappy. If it amps sxs, I'll discontinue.

As for the Rifaximin (Xifaxin), it wasn't harsh at all to take. I hope you will have an ok experience on it. I have no idea how it interacts with w/d, but it's worth a shot as it does resolve SIBO for some folks. I have been doing a low fodmap diet for months. It helps a bit to control symptoms but it doesn't heal SIBO. Before I went into this unintended withdrawal thing, I was doing oregano and berberine for a month and was seeing results ... but I stopped it once w/d hit, fearful that it might make things worse. I'm considering trying again.

Herbal prokinetics you could explore are: Iberogast, GI Motility Complex, and Ginger. They may be helpful and probably not harmful. You definitely want to take a prokinetic after you finish the antibiotic.

Probiotics are typically not recommended while treating SIBO but some folks believe Florastor is ok to take. C-diff is a big concern of mine b/c I had a really bad case of it in 2019, but Rifaximin rarely causes C-diff. Of course nothing is certain, ut it's not a huge concern.

Right now, I'm doing the Iberogast before meals, and then I'll try the new herbal protocol and keep you posted.

Please let me know (both of you!) how you do on the Rifaximin.  :)

Before I took benzodiazepine I also would use oregano oil and found great results with it.  I know it says this could be bad during/post withdrawal.  I’m so desperate, I’m almost willing to try anything at this point.

So one you complete the antibiotic, stay on the diet, still no resolution?? Do you think this is because the symptoms are actually withdrawal??

I have been on florastore probiotic for two years, when I don’t take it things are much

, much worse.

Thank you for the reassurance about the antibiotic, I was really worried.  Keep me posted on your progress, praying it resolves for you!!

Seasalt,

In my opinion, the w/d can mess up our motility which can cause SIBO, but the w/d is not directly responsible for SIBO. Most practitioners say that when SIBO comes back after being treated, it's because the motility is still problematic, or there is some other underlying issue. I noticed you are no longer on benzos. This is definitely in your favor. I hope the Rifaximin works! I would suggest taking some kind of prokinetic immediately afterward for some time. That helps to keep things moving.

Good luck and keep me posted!

Hi OpenRoad and Seasalt!

Sorry I've haven't responded... I was dealing with a lot of personal stuff. Ugh!  It never ends.

Well, I hate to be a downer but I'm really not seeing much of a difference while on the antibiotic. I did for about 2 days but yesterday and today it's back to the same old symptoms again.  Bloating and pressure is insane!  Granted, I still have 9 day left on the antibiotic.  I don't know how long it's supposed to take to kick in (if it does).  A month or so ago I spoke to my doctor and she recommended trying IBGard for motility.  Honestly, it's just a fancy and expensive ultrafiltered peppermint oil.  However, she swears by it so I just odered a box.  I'll start it when it arrives and hope for the best.

I do have to say that last night I ate pizza and I'm starting to learn that although I am not lactose intolerant per say, and have tested negative for Celiac on numerous occasion, I do think that gluten can be a problem.  I woke this morning, after a horrible night, and decided, zero gluten for me from this point forward.  I don't know what else to do.

Additionally, I have a doctors appointment on Monday morning to address the darn hemorrhoid.  For all the obvious reasons, I'm dreading that appointment!  Can this taper get any more stressful?

I'll keep you both posted on all of the above.  SeaSalt, did you start the antibiotic?  The one positive is that I no longer have the upset stomach since I started eating more.  So, yeah, I have that going for me!  LOL!

Lori

Hello Lori and Open Road,

No I have not yet started the antibiotics.  I have an endoscopy this Friday, I plan to start the antibiotic once I am done with that.  It is the “capsule “ endoscopy.

That’s interesting about the peppermint oil.  Is there any side effects with that?  Let me know if it works.  I tend to go between constipation and diarrhea ( yuck)!!!

Open Road, how do you plan to treat this moving forward?  I can’t believe that none of it has worked for you so far.  They claim there are two types, do you know which one you have?  Maybe you needed a different antibiotic?  Either way, it sounds like you have been through hell.. I’m so sorry.

This withdrawal is the “gift” that keeps on giving.

Hi Seasalt -

I have hydrogen SIBO (as per a breath test I took). It was the "right" antibiotic ... it just doesn't always work. Right now, I'm doing the Iberogast and trying to focus on the taper. I *may* try the herbs again, which I think were starting to make a difference. Concerned about revving symptoms, but it's probably worth a try. I don't think I'll try antibiotics again until Im done with my taper.

What are they looking for in the capsule endoscopy?

Lori -

Sorry to hear you're not having better luck with the abx ... sometimes things turn around toward the end of the course of treatment. So you might still feel better yet! If not, seeing a naturopath or functional medicine doc might help. Are you at the end of your taper?

Sending healing wishes to you both,

Openroad

Open arid,

Gastro doctor wants to rule out other gastric disease and check for a bleed ulcer.  I am anemic and I have undigested food in the stool.  I am assuming this is all from SIBO??

I guess I will know more on Friday…

Seasalt,

Not necessarily all related to SIBO. Ulcers are from a bacteria called H. Pylori. Not SIBO. I imagine they're looking for gastritis, too.

Thinking of you! Let me know what they find or don't find.

OR

today has been complete misery, my stomach is aching and I am feeling sick to my stomach.  I hope Friday brings answers, the mot knowing is killing me.  I have so many food intolerances, I am literally down to just a handful of thigs I tolerate.

I have this too along with Histamine Intolerance. Severe irritability and anger along with this weird restless withdrawal feeling after eating certain foods. Im always grumpy. One supplement that's helped me is Sibotic. Pure misery otherwise. I get the irritability and anger. It can get so bad, I can't explain it. Tingling hands, sweating, heart pounding are other symptoms.

Edit: Content

So sorry that everyone is struggling so badly!  I can literally hear the sadness and frustration in your voices.  Seasalt, I pray that you get some answers on Friday!  I'll be thinking of you and praying that the doctors can get to the bottom of this!

As for me?  Well, I had my doctors appointment.  The surgeon did the examination (ugh) and low and behold, there is NOTHING there!  I don't even have a darn hemorrhoid! This is bizarre!  All this pressure, the muscles in my intestines (and my flipping anus) contracting is all from the taper!  There's no other rational explanation.  Even the doctor, after hearing my history said that she's almost certain it's all from the Xanax tapering.  She said that if other muscles in my body are being affected so much, it's only logical that these are as well.  She felt so bad for me that she prescribed muscle relaxers to take on any given day that it gets really bad.  She also said that this could be what is contributing to the slow motility.  The taper alone can cause it because Xanax actually helps with motility and the lack of it would slow things down... as well as all muscles being affected due to the CNS issues, etc.  This is such a nightmare!  She still wants me to follow up with the gastroenterologist to try to work on what could help with the gas and pressure but I can't be seen until May 25th! 

I'm afraid to take the muscle relaxers so I'm going to play that by ear. 

And as far as histimine?  It's also at new levels.  I go through a box of tissues as if I had a cold... which I don't!  I'm sensitive to everything these days.

Here I am ready to jump in about a month and I'm starting to wonder two things:  1) Am I already at some sort of acute phase which is why everything is so much worse?  or 2) what hell is going to break loose when I jump?  How the heck can it get worse? 

Insomnia is back as well.  However, it's taken almost a full year to get off this last milligram and I just don't see the upside to slowing down or holding. I really thought I had been through the worst of it.  I was wrong!   

Lori