Does the substitution phase from A to V need to be weekly or can it be longer

[at...]

Hello everyone,

I have just started to substitute 4.5mg Ativan to 45mg Valium. In the Ashton Manual, you reduce .5mg Ativan and add 5mg Valium each week.

I have felt pretty good for the last few days. it has been a while since I have felt stable like this. I was wandering if it's important to stick to the weekly schedule during the substitution process or could it be extended to 2 weeks. 

Thanks for you any insight on this matter

Ativan 75

Hi ativan75, I'm sorry its taken me so long to see your post.  You can absolutely determine your own crossover rate, this is your taper your way, there are many members who say a 2 week hold is better for them.

Thanks for the reply Pamster.

I am on phase 2. I am currently taking 3.5mg Ativan and 10mg Valium.

It's going well so far.

Ativan75

Thanks for the reply Pamster.

I am on phase 2. I am currently taking 3.5mg Ativan and 10mg Valium.

It's going well so far.

Ativan75

Great progress Ativan75!

I am currently on phase 3. 3mg Ativan and 15mg Valium. it's going well so far.

I take 1mg Ativan and 5mg Valium in the morning,

I 1mg Ativan and 5mg Valium in the afternoon. 

I take 1mg Ativan and 5 mg Valium before bed.

I might take 2 weeks on this phase.

Thank you for posting updates, your crossover seems to be going well, are you paying attention to how you're feeling to determine how long you'll stay at each phase?

unfortunately the valium taken during the day is making me tired and a little more depressed. I think I will need to move more of it at night. still unsure if will stay with the weekly change or slow to 2 week progression.

The two major complaints about Valium are sedation and depression but I'm told these go away once your body gets used to it, so hang in there, you're doing great.

I am a little nervous my next stage involves reducing my Ativan from 1mg to .5mg at night. In my mind, I always feel the Ativan helps me with sleep more than the valium does.

I take 3 doses 1mg A + the 5mg V in the morning, afternoon, and evening.

In the next stage i need to go to 2.5mg Ativan and 20mg Valium.

I was going to change to : 1mg A + 5mg V , 1mg A + 5mg V, .5mg A and 10 mg V in the evening.

I was worried about lowering the Ativan in the evening.

A 3rd possibility would be to change the am dosage and split the 5mg Valium between am and evening.

I don't like the feeling of too much Valium in the day.

Morning: .5mg A 7mg V,  Afternoon: 1mg A + 5mg V Evening: 1mg A + 8mg V.

I just worry if I would feel withdrawal in the morning from the Ativan reduction.

I can see you have a difficult decision, feel uncomfortable during the day or risk your sleep.  I hope you can find a path that works for you but I also hope you won't stress too much over this decision because stress can cause increased symptoms. 

Crossing over and tapering isn't easy but you've chosen the method that will hopefully insure your success.