Exercise and work during recovery

[Mr...]

Hi, over the past couple of months I have been signed off of work. I am starting to feel very anxious about losing my job and financial matters. How long did you wait before returning to work? (if you have) I want to return however my anxiety if high and I'm concerned how I will cope when I have all these horrible symptoms. Since I have not been working my fitness levels are plummeting and I am putting on weight. I have sort of been wrapping myself up in cotton wool sometimes. Is it safe to exercise when my head is vibrating and I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms?

Still trying to keep everything as positive as I can.

Hope you all have a good day 😊

I continued my usual exercise routine while tapering/after jumping and I added walking in the evening also just to have something to fill the time in the evenings.  I also tried my best to continue my usual activities but most of my tapering was during the shut down in 2020 and lots of things weren't even an option then.    I do understand about your anxiety regarding your job and it is a valid concern.  Would it be an option to return to work part-time for a couple of weeks to see how it goes?

I have literally exercised my entire adult life. Even during some of my darkest moments of benzo w/d, I managed to get in a little exercise. It has been the only mainstay in my life for almost 40 years now. You said " Since I have not been working my fitness levels are plummeting". I take this to mean when you were still working, you were working out and maintaining some level of physical fitness? Yes? What were you actually doing that you have not been doing since you stopped working?

Did you have to stop working due to COVID? Do you think you can work while dealing with these debilitating benzo w/d sxs? I actually lost my job of over 30 years and had to go on SSDI but that was long ago before covid.

Is it safe to exercise when my head is vibrating and I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms?

It was safe for me and I always felt a little better after doing it. The trick is no strenuous stuff. Be gentle with a little mild to moderate cardio and maybe some light resistance training and stretching if you can tolerate. I belong to a 24/7 health club + I have a ton of fitness equipment at home that I have accumulated over the years. I actually could not get to sleep so I went to my fitness ctr at midnight, worked out for 45 mins, took a shower there, came back home, got in bed, and I was able to then fall asleep. Exercise helps you in so many ways, but you have to be consistent and do it regularly to see a real positive health impact.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the key here is moderation. If you put too much stress on your already stressed body/CNS you could do more harm than good and set yourself back.

On the work front, I haven't worked for nearly 2 years and wondering if I'll ever be able to go back to my physical stressful job. I'm on unemployment at the moment because my health insurance refused to pay me after an evaluation by an assessment where I was told I could work and all I needed was an AD by their doctor. Which still makes me angry!! Anyway I've only got another 12 months of unemployment, hopefully I'm healed by then otherwise I really don't know what I'm going to do.

Hope you see some improvement soon

I think the key here is moderation. If you put too much stress on your already stressed body/CNS you could do more harm than good and set yourself back.

On the work front, I haven't worked for nearly 2 years and wondering if I'll ever be able to go back to my physical stressful job. I'm on unemployment at the moment because my health insurance refused to pay me after an evaluation by an assessment where I was told I could work and all I needed was an AD by their doctor. Which still makes me angry!! Anyway I've only got another 12 months of unemployment, hopefully I'm healed by then otherwise I really don't know what I'm going to do.

I agree  Having a mare.  :thumbsup:

As far as work goes, I could not return despite my best efforts and all the accommodations my Company tried to make for me and had to sadly file a disability (SSDI) claim. I hope you can return, but disability is an option for ppl with some work history and treating medical evidence if they become too sick and unable to work. You can PM me in the future if things go that route. I helped one other person go this route a while back who also could not return.

I agree  Having a mare.  :thumbsup:

As far as work goes, I could not return despite my best efforts and all the accommodations my Company tried to make for me and had to sadly file a disability (SSDI) claim. I hope you can return, but disability is an option for ppl with some work history and treating medical evidence if they become too sick and unable to work. You can PM me in the future if things go that route. I helped one other person go this route a while back who also could not return.

Thanks Antibenzo. Unfortunately I'm dealing with the Swiss system and the doctor that I had my assessment said I was depressed but could work 💯, that report then got sent to the disability who won't pay, basically completely screwed me over because he didn't believe in WD. Hence I'm on unemployment benefit. It's much less money and only lasts 2 years. Hopefully I'll be able to work before then

At first I could only walk up the street and back, then around the block. My dad walked beside me because I was very weak. But I can now walk for hours if I want. I go to gym and do light weights.

I got sick in November 2018. I went back to work in October 2021 after being made redundant in June 2019. The last 6 months of work I had to take weeks at a time off.

• 4 months later...

I have never worked in my life because all of this, and if I don't do sports all day I feel really bad. Train like a (semi-)pro. Only way out for me.

I had terrible headaches last week, still went running like always.

Usually my symptoms improve. I had one day last week where I thought I was going to faint. Dizzy and everything. Started running, and it all went away.

Exercise repairs GABA receptors I believe.

Never worked for a boss I mean. Just one week when I was 19.

In the withdrawal process I'm slowly building up my own company.