hyperthyroidism

[No...]

I found out yesterday that I have hyperthyroidism. Now I'm not sure if the symptoms I have are from benzo withdrawal, because of my thyroid or both.

Finding out I have this has given me even more anxiety then I already have.

Has anyone else on here had or have this? Anything you can tell me about what I should expect going forward?

Looking at your signature I'd say the symptoms you're experiencing are from benzo's, having thyroid issues can absolutely give you symptoms but nothing like what benzo's do. 

The good thing about thyroid issues is they can be treated, did your doctor prescribe medication?

Yes they want to give me methimazole. For some reason they didn't give it to me Friday so I have to wait till Monday and call and find out what happened.

Looking back I had the symptoms for it for almost a year and they were slowly getting worse. They did blood work at the beginning of October for it and refused to tell me over the phone the results so I had to wait almost a whole month to find out that yes my thyroid is messed up.

Having hyperthyroidism scares me. I really hope the medicine helps and puts me in remission.

Yes I did lose a lot of weight. I feel hot almost all the time as well as other symptoms. I'm not sure if being told that I have this revved up my anxiety or if it's just anxiety from a wave, either way my anxiety is pretty bad right now.

Has anyone else had hyperthyroidism here and gotten better from taking the medication?

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease (hyperthryoidism) just before starting my taper 4 years ago. I take methimazole daily and it works wonders! It took awhile to get the dosage exactly right (I'd get tested every 2 months to check my numbers and adjust the dose), but now I've been stable on 2.5 mg daily (very low dose) for about 2 years.

It can be hard during tapering/withdrawal to know whether you're experiencing hyperthyroid symptoms or if it's recovery related, because a few symptoms feel overlapping, but I learned over time to distinguish between them.

I haven't experienced any side effects or problems on methimazole. Good luck!

So glad to get WarriorSpirits experience in this, thank you!

I've been reading reviews on WebMD and for the most part it seems most do well on this drug once they get the right dose.  I see a few have opted for thyroid removal.  Speaking for myself, I had mine removed in 2008 due to papillary cancer and do very well without it.  Just letting you know that while this is a serious health issue, you have options to live a full and good life, once you get past benzo's of course.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess my primary doctor is gonna have me see an endo doctor instead of giving me pills so I have to wait for that. I've been feeling kinda dizzy lately and not sure if from my thyroid or from benzo withdrawal.

I'm hoping I won't have any problems with methimazole either if that's what they put me on. I just want to get this under control and not have to wait forever.  :sick:

I think its a good idea to see an endocrinologist, they can help you get to the right dose of the medication if that's the route you're going to go.  Please keep us posted and remember that dizziness is also a withdrawal symptom.

Pamster, how long did you take after your removal to get the right dose till you felt normal?

Found out the endo they referred me to isn't taking any new patients so now I have to wait till they find someone else. I just want to start medication so I can feel better.

Has anyone gotten the radioactive uptake? My Primary doctor is having me get that plus a ultrasound so at least I am doing something while waiting.

I had my thyroid surgically removed, then did the radioactive uptake to make sure all of the thyroid tissue was destroyed.  Once I had the surgery I was able to stabilize on the thyroid medication quickly, I believe the endocrinologist I saw did a very good job of getting me on the right dose.  I know these doctors are in short supply but I hope you can get into one soon, they really know their stuff.

I've got an appointment for next Friday. I've been having such extreme anxiety and panic. It's constantly there from when I wake up till I go to sleep. Its like after I found out I have hyperthyroidism my anxiety spiked so high. Just knowing that medication takes weeks to work for this and they haven't even started me on any is causing me so much stress.

My tsh is 0.220. Is that a really bad number? My gen 3 total was fine.

My kids are sick as well and I'm afraid I'll get it and feel even worse.

I saw a psych yesterday and they prescribed me Temazepam, which I didn't know was a benzo at the time. I told them I had taken lorazapam and didn't want to take it because it's addictive. So why did they give me another benzo? I haven't taken it but am really tempted to take it so I can get rid of this anxiety. I know it will make things worse if I take it.

My legs hurt all the time from the worry. I just want this to stop. I have nothing to get my mind off of this. I can't enjoy anything I use to.

Edit: I am feeling a lot less anxious. Maybe I have morning anxiety like I've seen other people talk about. 

I'll let your doctor evaluate your numbers but my question is, will you be doing the radioactive uptake before or after your appointment with the endocrinologist?  I thought you were going to try the medication route before destroying your thyroid, did you change your mind?

I have another question for you, were your symptoms this bad before you found out about your thyroid?  Stress and worry makes our symptoms worse, I hope you can find a way to calm yourself because I hate to see you suffering.  I'm glad your anxiety calmed a bit as the morning wore on.

I'm gonna go the medication route right now. The radioactive uptake they said is to check how much iodine my thyroid takes in I think.

My anxiety is on and off all day with panic attacks thrown in here and there(especially in the morning and at night). I had good days and bad days before I found out about my thyroid, and I was actually able to fall asleep with out hypnic jerks for a few nights as well. I know finding out I had it made my worry 10 fold. Stupid hypnic jerks were back last night and now I feel like I keep getting worse with each day. Having to go out anywhere causes things to accelerate, yet I keep having to go out and do something every day.

I keep thinking the worse with my thyroid, like I may have a pituitary tumor(my sister has that)or a tumor of the thyroid, or I may get a storm. I really hate that my mind has to go to these extremes with everything.

Thank you for talking with me Pamster. I think seeing someone who can maybe teach me how to control my anxiety and panic might be helpful. At least I am hoping it will help.

I can see you're aware your worry could be causing you to feel worse, and its very common for our health anxiety to be worse when we're going through this.  I found my thyroid cancer when I was recovering from my cold turkey so I get what you're feeling.

Please google radioactive iodine uptake therapy, my impression is the radioactive material will destroy your thyroid, I just want you to be fully informed about the options you're considering.

• 3 weeks later...
I have to wait till the 9th of December to find out what is going on with my thyroid. I still have an ultrasound I have to do December 1st. Right now my anxiety is so bad and I don't know if this is from benzo withdrawal or this stupid hyperthyroidism.

I'm glad you're going to get the ultrasound, I had a few of these too.  I would imagine its difficult to distinguish between the symptoms but I'm positive your anxiety over this situation is contributing to your withdrawal symptoms. 

• 3 weeks later...
They found a toxic nodule that is causing it. Gonna get it biopsied and put me on a low dose of medication for it. He doesn't seem to think my anxiety and insomnia could come from this. Makes me wish I could get another endo. I wonder if everything I am going through is just benzo related then. I just hope I can heal one day from it all :'(

What medication did they prescribe?  I would imagine most of what you're dealing with is withdrawal symptoms but it looks like this condition could be contributing to them.

Your body is doing it's best to repair the damage done by the drug, please try to keep a positive attitude about your recovery, you're going to get there.

Methimazole. I'm trying to be positive, some days are just worse then others. I just can't believe how I messed up my body and mind by taking these pills. I hope my sleep and anxiety will at least get somewhat better buy helping my thyroid.

WarriorSpirit had good things to say about Methimazole so I hope that reassures you somewhat but I understand your anxiety, when our body parts turn on us it makes us feel fearful and vulnerable.

Yes it makes me feel better knowing they haven't had problems with the medication.

I was thinking of trying RFA treatment for the toxic nodule if the doctor thinks that would be alright. I know it's newer but I really want to keep my thyroid and hope this would let me be able to.

I know someone who used interventional radiology to treat an enlarged prostate because they were too old for surgery and it was successful, its not available everywhere so hopefully you can find someone to do it.  I read where it might not be covered by insurance, have you been able to find out if yours will?  I guess you'll probably have to wait to find out what the biopsy reveals to know what your options are.

I'm glad to hear that it worked for them.

I haven't found out if insurance will cover it yet. I hope they do. I hope the biopsy won't be to painful.

They'll deaden the area so the most you'll feel beforehand is that.  Afterwards wasn't really a problem for me when I had mine done, there aren't a lot of nerve endings in that area so I didn't even need pain medication. 

Your anxiety around the procedure will most likely be much worse than the actual procedure.