Calcium caused spasms!!!

[ca...]

Omg im in so much pain.  Not sure if this is spasm or something called fasciculations.  I took some Bone meal calcium because I havent had dairy/calcium food items in years.  I have bone/joint pain, cracked teeth and clear nails.  I was taking Magnesium Oxide weeks prior for constipation and in turn, it caused leg cramps.  I thought this signalled the need for Calcium.  What I didn’t expect was Calcium to cause nerve pain.  Its a painful zap that goes from back of neck to left side of head to my left ear lobe.  If I scrunch up my ear, the pain still radiates.  It also makes my left arm twitch.  How do I undo this?  I took two 200mg Magnesium Bisglycinate pills yesterday and it helped a little but by night fall the zapping was back tormenting me in my sleep.  I may have actually felt more effects from past use of Mag Oxide, despite it causing loose stools.  Im afraid of trying Mag Oxide and having it fail only for me to need Bisglycinate, causing me to overload on Magnesium. Unless thats a good thing for current issue. This is making me so anxious.  Pain and lack of sleep.  Did I do permanent damage to myself??

I think its rather that you didnt get much calcium during all those years that your body responds heavily to a meal as that rather then the meal alone. it should of been fine are you also in w/d ?

some calcium-activated potassium channel might be a link, or electrolytes disbalance. you would have to consult your doctor about that as I dont know enough about it.

According to your description, I would think about calcium deficiency too but it doesnt have to be. joint pain is most likely inflammation or muscle weakness. get enough anti-inflammation/anti-oxidants into your diet. train the specific muscle group. buy a compress to use if the joint muscle is overloaded sometimes. Note: dont use it all the time as you need to work on gaining muscle strength not lean on the compress. its an aid so use it as such.

Use a massage shower head with hot water.

Cracked teeth could be calcium could be not. clear nails could be Iron, b12.

Also Vitamine D deficiency could be related to muscle weakness, joint/bone issues.

Eitherway take it easy with the magnesium when did you start doing that on said dosage?

Check on what interferes with calcium absorption and what promotes it.

If I remember correctly magnesium helps calcium absorption but that doesn't mean you need to go overboard on it.

The zaps makes me think about magnesium rather then calcium.

Or is it more of a buzz sound when you fall to sleep?

Try to help constipation with drinking enough water, probiotics something else like ginger+curcurma tea and plum juice.

I thought you were supposed to take calcium and magnesium together in a certain ratio?

Perhaps it might be better to just eat foods that are rich in magnesium and calcium like greens etc.

castillo I am so sorry that you are in so much pain. First of all I am sure you did not do long term damage. Whatever you flared will resolve but it may take time. It is likely that due to not having calcium in your system taking a supplement like that was just to much for you to handle. I agree that it would be better to start eating calcium rich foods to your diet instead of taking a supplement. I am not familiar with bone meal calcium but I reacted to bone broth when I first tried it because it caused too much detox in my body. I have reacted to other supplements as well including glutamate after taking it for a while. I have learned when starting anything new it is always best to start very small amounts and see how you react. Then when there is a reaction sometimes taking other things just makes it worse and you just need to let your body ride out whatever it is which is so hard to do. It is so much trial and error.

If you are concerned about what you are taking and how you might react you may want to consider seeing a natural practitioner, such a a functional doctor, naturopath, chiropractor/nutritionist, ect. They may be able to run blood tests to see what deficiencies you actually have and guide you to the right supplements and in what combination you would want to take them in.

I have learned when starting anything new it is always best to start very small amounts and see how you react. Then when there is a reaction sometimes taking other things just makes it worse and you just need to let your body ride out whatever it is which is so hard to do. It is so much trial and error.

2nd that.

If you are concerned about what you are taking and how you might react you may want to consider seeing a natural practitioner, such a a functional doctor, naturopath, chiropractor/nutritionist, ect. They may be able to run blood tests to see what deficiencies you actually have and guide you to the right supplements and in what combination you would want to take them in.

good advice!

• 6 months later...