need schedule for c/o from lorazepam to diazepam 2mg daily

[ak...]

Hi, happy thanksgiving everyone.

I edited my first post in this topic because I'm ready to start week #2 but I'm confused about the math for the ashton substitution plan. The plans in the ashton manual are for 6mg and 3mg lorazepam and I take 2mg.

My first week I did 1mg lorazepam in the morning and then .5mg lorazepam + 5mg diazepam in the afternoon. Can someone please make me a schedule to follow for the rest of the plan? Thanks very much.  

Hi akossofi,

1 mg of Ativan is equal to 10 mgs of Valium.  You say you take 1 mg in the morning and 1 mg in the afternoon, so to me that means you should take 10 mgs of Valium in the morning and 10 mgs in the afternoon.  However, it's important that you cross over slowly as Valium takes longer to build up in the bloodstream.  If you simply stop the Ativan, you're not going to feel very well.

Tapering off of 20 mgs of Valium can be done in 20 weeks, but it might be better to plan on 40 weeks.

I'd did look at the ashton schedule but I'm not sure exactly how to start. Especially since I'm already tapering lorazepam.

I take 1mg in the morning and 1mg in the afternoon. So for the first week what do I take? 1mg morning and .5mg lorazepam + 5mg diazepam in the afternoon?

Thanks.

Hi There:

I am in the final stage of my crossover from .5 mg. ativan nitely to valium.  I did phase I - 10 days of 2.50 mg. valium and .25 mg. ativan (50% reduction).  Phase II - 3.75 mg. valium and .125 mg. ativan for 14 days.  Now phase III, I have been off ativan for 17 nites and stayed on 3.75 mg. valium.  I will stabilize on 3.75 mg. valium for another week or two before I start with a .5 mg. reduction of valium.

I am feeling only slight symptoms and from hearing others at BB tell me "it takes time for the valium to accumulate in the body" -- very true.  That's why at least a 30-day crossover with valium and ativan will help reduce symptoms. 

Hope you are on your way.  Good luck with your crossover and hope you can figure out the best amount of valium for dropping ativan.

I followed Ashton method and think it is working for me.

Rocko

I'd did look at the ashton schedule but I'm not sure exactly how to start. Especially since I'm already tapering lorazepam.

I take 1mg in the morning and 1mg in the afternoon. So for the first week what do I take? 1mg morning and .5mg lorazepam + 5mg diazepam in the afternoon?

Thanks.

I think this is a good place to start, and just remember to take your time, and allow a week or two in between substitutions. The whole point of this cross over is to minimize symptoms, so you can remain functional. 

Hi akossofi,

I don't have any info to share on the dosage switch as you ask, but I would like to hear how you do in the first phase of your cross-over so I may check your post again. I too have been on Ativan for almost three years and suffer from terrible interdose withdrawal as I take it twice per day (.25 mg AM + .5mg PM). I am thinking of crossing over to valium too and have the perscription and a supportive doctor although I felt her cross-over schedule was a bit aggressive like the one your doctor suggested. I do wish you the best and offer my encouragement. I hope to be doing the same process in the next few weeks. Best - Jan

Hi, Jan thanks for the encouragement.

Day one was kind of hard, I really felt the withdrawal from ativan. But I decided to keep busy to take my mind off the discomfort. I did some aerobics which made me feel better and then did a ton of homework and I was okay. Day two was much better I haven't felt withdrawal yet. I've noticed it helps quite a bit if I keep busy and not dwell on my situation.

sofi

Hi Sofi, that is good to hear, that the 2nd day was much better! And agree that keeping busy helps...I find the same works for me when I haven't felt well. I recently started yoga which was also took my mind off things. I really hope each day gets better and easier while you make this transition!  - Jan