Departing Xanax

[Mi...]

Well the short and sweet is in Oct 2019 on my 40th birthday after an outburst in a restaurant about dry plantains while on vacation, I was prescribed .5mg of Xanax twice a day.

Before then I'd never knowingly had anxiety but 2019 was my 2020. It was flipped upside with heartbreak and loss, an ectopic pregnancy, an aunt to cancer, and a love that didn't last. My body and heart hit a wall.

I took that dose intermittently and settled around .5mg once a day about 3 weeks in. After 2 months, I tried to jump off and as you can imagine, it was a torturous 2 days. Knowing what I know now, I would have pushed through and dealt with the symptoms for the remaining 3-5 days until it was out of my system.

More than a year later, after 3 unsuccessful taper attempts, I'm now being switched to .5mg of Klonopin to stabilize on for 3-4 weeks and then a planned taper with a psychiatrist. I recently changed doctors who is an amazing advocate for my health and insisted I speak to a psychiatrist after I told him all of my body's ailment was Benzo related.

My former physician was a kind hearted man who meant well, but he was someone who believes sometimes you just live your life on medication if that what you need. He clearly has never been on Benzo.

I've been to the emergency room no less than 20 times in the past 14 months. I'm on omeprazole from GERD which started in Dec of 2019, which I'm certain now is a result of the Xanax, and esophageal swelling that happens from time to time. 4 weeks ago I was prescribed a steroid inhaler even though there was no sign of lung damage, but it has helped with the esophageal tightening and swelling.

I've had my entire body scanned, scoped, ultrasound, xrayed, and the consensus is I'm in perfect physical health, so it must be an unexplainable autoimmune disease. *sigh* We all here know better.

I have started a new vitamin regimen to fight whatever deficiencies pop up as I plan the Klonopin taper next month. I'm here to give support where I can and identify solutions for my taper side effects where they're provided.

Hi Missdee1012,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, we are glad you have joined us here!

I'm also tapering Xanax. It's great that you are coming up with a plan and that you are working with your psychiatrist. I'll post a couple links that you might find helpful. The first is the withdrawal support board which is a good place to ask questions and get support from other members who are going through similar experiences.

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

I'll also post the taper board so you can take a look at the taper plans that others have come up with and also ask questions regarding your own taper.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

I'm not sure if you have read the Ashton manual but I'll put the link here because it's a very good guide for helping one to come off of benzos.

The Ashton Manual

Dr. Ashton recommends tapering no faster than 5 to 10 percent every 10 days or so. My taper has been a little different. I mostly base it on my symptoms and if they are too difficult, I'll hold for a month or more. I wouldn't be surprised if benzos can make GERD worse. I have it too and seem to react to the medicine for it so have been treating it with aloe juice with mixed results. I find ginger helpful as well.

Also, feel free to browse any of the boards that seem helpful to you.

Again, welcome!

SRR

Thank you. I've been really focused on alkalizing my body, to reduce the acid and GERD.

So I'm drinking alkaline water only, I've changed out my water filters for the shower and sinks, I drink a teaspoon of baking soda with 8oz of water twice a day, and ginger, turmeric and seamoss tea.

I've noticed my acid reflux is almost gone, so my hope is by switching to Klonopin and keeping the acidity low, while also taking vitamins (C, D, Magnesium, Zinc, Omega 3, probiotics) that my body will fortify against a lot of the withdrawal symptoms I've experienced in the past. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thank you for the warm welcome and the link recommendations.

Hi Missdee

Welcome!

You have some good plans for feeling better.  I really believe that when we get in front of our taper the whole process of recovery goes better.  I tapered clonazepam (generic clonazepam) from .5 mgs to 0 in 14 months.  I tapered at about 10% each 2 weeks, sometimes less at as low as 2% and longer holds, sometimes more and shorter holds.  I followed symptoms.  It was sometimes very difficult.  But, here I am.  Just over 2 weeks benzo free.  Continue to empower yourself!  You will get there.

HI Missdee!

Welcome! And yes all your sxs could be and probably are, from benzos. Been there and had it all. Benzo wd isn't usually over in a week like some other meds. I thought that too but reinstated after several miserable days when I finally looked it up and found BB. Of course some people get off longer use in a hurry without issues but if you were having sxs when you stopped before it probably would not have been a quick fix. So don't feel bad that you didn't ride it out. You are wise to make a plan now that lets you take your time.

• 2 years later...

I hope you are doing much, much better now.

I had the same thing happen to me: diagnosed with an unexplained autoimmune disease. I was already in tolerance withdrawal. I was also told depression was being "underrated," and that's why I was experiencing such strange physical ailments. With no realization from the doctors that it could be benzo related. And these are doctors at a top teaching hospital. Even the psychiatrist who prescribed the benzo thought I had an autoimmune condition. The autoimmune diagnosis was the reason -- not the benzo. I was put on two medications for an autoimmune condition I did not have, making me sicker. Thankfully, I am off of that roller coaster ride now. Although the PAWS ride isn't at all pleasant. I guess you can be damned if you do, and you damned if you don't in benzoland.