Crossover to vallium, setback help

[...]

My doc has me back on my original dose of clonazepam, 4mgs. Says I am unstable. Yes, I am. Is there anyone doing crossover? He is also lowering my Paxil at 10mgs a week, everyday. I am hoping he will listen to me, I think I am going too fast, and I wish he would do one drug at a time. I shake, and am anxious. I am just beginniing. I was on 100mgs of Paxil for ten years, and ten years of Clonazepam 4mgs. Now I am on 80mgs of paxil, 4 mgs of Clonazepam, and 10mgs of vallium to stablize. but I do not feel stable. Any advice?

My doc has me back on my original dose of clonazepam, 4mgs. Says I am unstable. Yes, I am. Is there anyone doing crossover? He is also lowering my Paxil at 10mgs a week, everyday. I am hoping he will listen to me, I think I am going too fast, and I wish he would do one drug at a time. I shake, and am anxious. I am just beginniing. I was on 100mgs of Paxil for ten years, and ten years of Clonazepam 4mgs. Now I am on 80mgs of paxil, 4 mgs of Clonazepam, and 10mgs of vallium to stablize. but I do not feel stable. Any advice?

Hi Myrt,

My best advice is to get a copy of the book "Your Drug May Be Your Problem" by Dr. Peter Breggin (2nd Edition, 2007).  Dr. Breggin is a psychiatrist that basically exposes the side effects of psych drugs and also gives advice as to how to stop them.

You ask if anyone is doing a cross over...the answer is yes, i am crossing over from 4mg k to valium via the ashton method.  I am 75% crossed over. Cross over for me hasn't been easy but i have had much improvement in doing it.

I'm going to refer back to Dr. Breggins book to answer some of your questions..

I read from you post that you seem to have some concern about the quickness of the taper and the tapering off paxil and klonopin all at one time.

Dr. Breggin, at page 165 of his book states:

"If an individual has been taking a drug for more than a year, it would not be unusual to plan a month of withdrawal for every year that the drug has been taken.  By this method, an individual who has been exposed to antidepressants or tranquilizers for five yours could require at least five months to withdraw.  If the individual has been taking both kinds of drugs for five year, it may require two separate five-month withdrawals to stop both drugs..."  [note, IMO, for 4mg of k, you're gonna need a long taper time; i suggest that you request a taper schedule from the staff here once you've decided how you are going to taper, i.e. titration, substitution or dry cutting).

Dr. Breggin, at page 163 states:

"It is usually best to reduce one drug while continuing to take the others.  The process begins anew once you've eliminated the first drug completely and have gotten used to doing without it."

Dr. Breggin, at page 139 states:

"Coming off drugs in the most rational way possible often requires panning and preparation, strength and determination, and patience."

Further, at page 143, Dr. Breggin states:

"You must therefore try to be in charge of the entire process from beginning, from the very first moment you decide for yourself that coming off drugs is your goal."  He also says that the tapering should be under your control so that you can be in charge of your own comfort.

Well, i think Dr. Breggin gives great advice and his book has been a valuable resource to me...i highly recommend keeping a copy for your own reference.

In a previous thread to you, i gave you links to ashton cross over schedules. I suggest that you share them with your doctor.

I hope that you begin to feel a bit better soon.  An unstable taper is not any joy to go through.  I've met a lot of buddies that have gone fast and many that have gone slow; the consensus seems to be go very slow to minimize the w/d effects that you encounter throughout and after a klonopin taper.

I hope that this info helps you; i've learned the hard way that having knowledge is the best way to make a wise decision as to how to get off these drugs.

take care,

truck

I have more questions than help at present, Myrt.  In your first post (June 12) you said your doc was reducing the clono .25mg at a time.  That seems reasonable if he wasn't making that drop more than once a week or so.  How far did you get before going back up to 4mg clono + 10 mg valium?  What specific symptoms caused you to agree to do that?  I'm afraid many people find that reinstating simply does not work as they'd hoped so they don't get the relief they want.

Your thread says you are crossing over to valium, is that right?  I believe the Ashton equivalency for 4 mg clono is 80mg valium, though some become too sedated and depressed on that much valium.  Does your doc have a crossover plan for you?  Have you looked at the Ashton manual for guidance on doing a crossover?  Or do you need help from us to develop a plan to present to him?

I'm afraid I don't know anything about tapering off such a high dose of Paxil taken for so long.  You might want to do some Internet research to take to your doctor.  I'm sure their are support forums for tapering anti-depressants.  I do think you will feel better when these drugs are out of your system but it's likely to be no picnic getting there. 

thank you all, especially about the book. I am a wreck. my doctor was not in today, but I am going to call in the am. Hoping he will be receptive.

I will post tomorrow, hands are shaking.

Thank you soooo much.