When in too late for Valium Crossover ?

[su...]

Is there anytime when it would be too late to switch from your original benzo over to valium to finish a taper ? Like if I wanted to taper down to the of 2mg  equivalent of  valium  and finish my taper would that make more problems for me or should I switch over sooner say the 5mg equivalent ? 

sundazed

I am doing a direct crossover from 4mg Ativan to 40mg Valium daily. They claim that the Valium is alot easier to taper down from. We will see. The crossover is not easy. You have to go slow.  It has taken me 5 weeks to get to where I am taking 1/2 ativan and 1/2 valium 3 times a day, and 10mg valium at night. You have to switch over slowly/

I was thinking of doing a 25% reduction of Ativan per week while crossing over to the Valium so it would take me 4 weeks. Did you have a lot of inter dose withdrawals ?

Not really. The Valium is pretty smooth. Maybe a little more sedating thatn the Ativan,but no anxuiousness or nervousness.

well what is your advice ? just crossover slow ? I think the ashton method is a little too quick for the crossover.

Is there anytime when it would be too late to switch from your original benzo over to valium to finish a taper ? Like if I wanted to taper down to the of 2mg  equivalent of  valium  and finish my taper would that make more problems for me or should I switch over sooner say the 5mg equivalent ? 

sundazed

Theoretically, there isn't a cutoff sundazed.  I'd probably switch to titration rather than do a crossover but that's an individual choice, of course.  :)

The crossover is not bad.  Tiring but that's probably because I am on such a large dose = to 60mg of Valium.  I am in the middle of crossing over.  My first 5mg valium taper is Thursday.  I am going slow after feeling the c/t 4 day crazies.  lol.  No anxiety or panic or anything scary.  just cog fog and tired.  some days when nervous about something I don't get the massive sleep.  I don't think you will get interdose withdrawals if you go slow.  no race for me.  I tried fast before c/t.  I didn't like those w/d symptoms.  Good luck.

Lisa

I wonder if I crossover to valium should I do it at 5mg or 4mg ? I will of course be at the ativan equivalent.

how much Ativan are you on right now?  I think I read 1mg = 10mg valium (diazepam) but you are lower than that since you have been titrating.  It's just a math problem but easy enough to figure out if you want to switch it over.  I hated the interdose withdrawals.  Had those for over a year but thought I had everything else but that.  Even got checked for diabetes since I had to get up to pee every hour all night long.  lol.  But I was on 2mg of Xanax and 3mg of Clonazepam. Small dose to my PDOC.  HA.  But got rid of the Xanax forever.  I can't even stand when someone jokes about it.  Weird, huh?   I am too new to say whether there are interdose withdrawals when tapering but read everything I could get my hands on and you just get really tired until you are used to it.  I am tired but after being an insomniac for so long, it's a welcome change.  lol

good luck and let me know what you decide to do.  did you read all of the Ashton Manual?  It's really interesting.

Lisa

Just read that your aunt is stable, so glad.  It is hard when everyone is getting older.  Lost aunts and all my grandparents and my mom has had 3 strokes so she doesn't know what's going on.  But got my dad and my hubby on my side so good enough.  I do hope your aunt is better soon.

I am going to go see her tomorrow and bring her her tabloid magazines  :)

as of today I am on 0.55mg Ativan.

Sun,

So that is about half an Atavan.  if you look up the schedule I think 1=10 so half of one equals 5mg of valium(diazepam)  You can get it in liquid too.  Or in US, 2mg tabs, can cut.

I did the first taper of 5mg yesterday and feel nothing but tired.  But I am only on second day but I never felt panic or bad anxiety the whole crossover and I am on a ton, 3mg Klon.  Will your doc go with it?  It won't be much at all.

Let me know what you think you are going to do.

Lisa