Doing it the Ashton way!!

[Ol...]

I have been reading a lot here.  I am trying to get some info on the Ashton method.  I am wondering if there is a thread from someone who has completed it or is close and started on a HIGH dose like 3mg of Clonazepam, c/o to Valium and taper down.  

I, for one, can't keep track of all the member's tapering info but I'm sure there have been other members use the substitution method on doses as high as yours.  Ashton even has a schedule specifically for crossing over from 3 mg clonozepam here:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s6

I know you are looking for reassurance in someone else's experience but that seems kind of pointless to me.  People on the exact same dose for the exact same period of time, tapering off using the exact same method will still have different experiences due to the differences between their makeup, history, environment, other meds, etc etc etc.  Just keep reminding yourself that you are using a time-tested method considered to be the best way of tapering by the one professional who's studied benzo withdrawal for 20 + years.  :thumbsup:

Hi Sanabel,

I did the Ashton crossover from klonopin to Valium ( diazepam )  I was on 4 mg of klonopin for about 10 years.  I tapered directly off of the 1 mg. of klonopin and then did the Ashton crossover from 60 mg. of diazepam .  Honestly, I did not have any problems with the crossover at all.  Try not to be to anxious about all of this.  I know it is hard as you had a prior bad experience.  Also, try not to read into too many horror stories.  We all get different symptoms during our tapers.  I am astounded though that you were able to get off of the xanax so quickly and with so little problems.  I think you will get thru your taper just fine.  Just be patient with yourself and listen to your body.  ginia

Thanks a bunch Beeper, Sundazed, and Ginia.  Glad to know you did well on Ashton's Method.  I know everyone is different.  It is just nice to see someone else doing this way that has a large amount.  

Ginia, good to know you had a easy crossover,that makes me feel better.

Sanibel sounds like we are doing are crossover at the same time..good wishes to you!

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Sun,

How are you doing?  I really have to wander around here more.  I'm kind of a computer illiterate.  lol

Thanks for stopping by.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, wondering if any of the benzos caused any extra hunger or weight gain in any way for anyone.  i am sure there are a bunch of you that lost weight.  I have already read those but wondering if there is anyone that is not in the opposite boat that I am in.  I log my food in daily and exercise daily normally to keep my weight stable, not to lose.  

Thanks anyone who is in the SAME boat.

Hi Lisa.

Sounds very familiar....

I was on 3mg k-pin and stopped taking them one day. I did not know any better....

After the ensuing meltdown,and 72 hours on the psych ward,I was terrified,and told my Doctor I wanted off of the k-pin. Now!

He tried to cross me over to Valium too fast, (50% all at once), and I was a complete mess,so over the next 9 months he slowly crossed me over to Ativan,which he said did not bind to the GABA receptors as tightly, and would be easier for me to taper from....  HA!

The Ativan was/is a nightmare. I was on 6mg ativan per day at first. Tapered down to 4mgs a day,which was hell,and then I heard about Professor Ashton,and found a new doctor who was open to the idea of a Diazepam crossover and slow taper.

He started me off on 5mgs V with .5 mgs of A 3 times a day with two .5mg prns of A. I did great for a month. Feeling better. Sleeping better. Generally,doing alot better overall.  Then the next crossover adjustment, which was Tuesday, he changed my dosage to 10mgs of V 3 times a day with the two .5 Ativan prns.

I could barely function. I was so sedated that I could barely walk,let alone drive,go to the store,or anything else. I tried to stay at the 30mgs a day,but today I had to throw in my hat. I am back on the 5mgs V with the .5mgs of A 3 times a day and the two .5mg prns. I am seriously thinking that 30mgs of V is way too much for me to handle,and concerned about how I am going to continue to get the A out of my system without more Valium....

Jim,

These docs are so crazy.  Why would the doc go back from the valium to ativan.  It's like he's backwards.  I get what you mean about being too tired.  

Maybe cut the diazepam in half and go up 2.5mg instead of 5mg and it will be slower and you can get used to it easier.  Not sure at all.  I am lost as you can tell.  lol.

hopefully you will find a good dose and me too so we can function and feel better.  

Talk to you soon.  See you on the chat line!!  

Take care.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I have been holding off doing anything but have to make a jump today, it's been 2 1/2 weeks with no change.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi Lisa,

I don't know much about tapering since I didn't do it, but I've seen the most success from the people who design their taper to fit their personality, lifestyle and health.  Have you seen a member around the forum named mtmimi?  She's tapering Valium and doing a great job of it.  Look her up, see if she can help you figure out what you need to do. 

Pam

Thanks Pam.  I went down about 10% Klon at afternoon and then just did a plain crossover at night.  I will run out of Diazepam a little early next month but my doc will work with me.  Just in case, making my hubby go with me.  I think my doc is a little scared of him.  LoL, He should be more scared of me but I look to harmless.  lol.

But I feel so good that there is no Klon in me in the afternoon or evening, just Diazepam.  I went down 5mg diazepam twice in the afternoon.  I read Ashton say that take more when you need it (like for me at night) and less when you don't like the afternoon and then the morning.  

Hopefully it will work out but I really looked at the numbers and I lost the cog fog so I am thinking pretty straight.  Of course I am questioning myself because there is nothing here that is in black and white.

Thanks for the name of the buddy.  If I get into trouble I will try to find her.  But for now I can't go backwards so I will hope for the best.

Couldn't fall asleep last night for about 3 hours but then set an alarm to get up and take benzos this morning.  

The power of these drugs never ceases to amaze me.  Just a slight change and you feel such huge changes!  I'll be glad when your crossover is done and you can settle into the Diazepam and it's effects.  It's good your thinking is a little more clear today, strange stuff these benzo's! 

Does anyone think it would make a difference if I just went back and started tapering 10% of Klon next week since I just did 10% taper of afternoon yesterday?????

I can't find a new PDOC and it really is changing my schedule that I even gave him a copy of.  Since it really is the same amount, do you think it would be okay, anyone???

Thanks.

It usually takes me over 2 hours to sleep but last night I fell asleep early and woke up a bunch.  

Hi Lisa,

It confuses me when people change their avatars, even though I used to do it all the time!  :D

I'm not sure what you're asking, could you rephrase it and I'll ask a team member with more experience to drop by?  Okay?