Is ashton taper really all that good?

[On...]

Im confused....I keep reading some say that tapering over to valium is not the way to go?..Now i wonder if i should not go this route?.Need pros and cons about this i guess.

Not an expert here but here is what I've heard.....Valium is sometimes easier totaper off of because it doens't have a short half life like xanax or ativan.    It takes longer to cross over to valum than it does to do a direct taper.

Valium can cause depression in some people but hey don't all of the benzos?  I'm sure one of the mods will be along to add more specifics

Seems to be the most approachable and sensible way to minimize w/d s and side effects , for the reasons Melissa explained in the last post . But there are always circumstances that might make this approach not the right one for a particular case. Many people  ,have a hard time finding and convincing a Dr. to go along with this plan , Dr's are worry about prescribing Valium , but are OK with the baby tranquilizers ( The offsprings Ativan-Klonopin and Xanax) wich are  in a way more potent and more difficult to taper from .Or feel more comfortable using the same medication they have been using for a while without crossing over to another benzo . So I think the Ashton  taper is a model and is  a very good way to taper , there is room for personal approaches ,based on the person's needs.

Yes it does take longer and i dont like that....Your right i get depression from the ativan,nothing new to me.Thanks melissa.

Tino is right about the docs.  When I was first looking for help I found another forum on the internet who said that valium was absolutely the only way to go.  I freaked out b/c I knew I would never find a doc.  My doc said no way ....way too depressing.  I called around and could only find one who would even consider it. 

Then I found BB's  much to my relief I learned that yes I could do a direct taper and that there were various ways to do it.

Are you going to do the V?

Another advantage of tapering from Valium is that it comes in low strength pills, making it easier to dry cut all the way down.

Valium was best for her clinic because you could cut the pills, anything more elaborate like water titration is time consuming for a clinic environment. But with that said Valium lasts the longest in the body and is easier to taper down from...I took valium for years and had no problem getting off of it but I was always at a low dose of 1 or 2mg I never took more than that a day and sometimes didn't take if for a week.

That is when the dilemma comes to us dry tapers of for example Ativan, when you reach the 0.5 mg  you are at 5 mg of Valium , meaning  you have to cut in my case  a 1 mg tablet in a half  and then each half in 5 pieces to make 1 mg , close to impossible. Since from what I understand they recommend jumping at 0.5 mg of Valium or less , so that is when you start thinking about titration . Dry cutting is a tougher road , but many members have done it. I am trying to decide what I will do next ,since I really don't want to use another drug .But is my choice and might not be the best route after seeing what other members are doing with their taper using titration.( less symptoms seems like)

Looks like i will continue with the valium.Last night was my first 5 mg dose.It sure made me sleepy.I hope it wont do that when i am on it in the day.....At some point down the road i can deciede if i want to go faster...The doc did tell me that when i get low he will prescribe liquid valium,so thats good i guess...Thanks everyone!

From what Ive heard people adjust to    Jestan is doing a valium taper.  She might have some good insight that would help you

Hi there!

I am doing the Ashton method.  What I read on your thread is correct, you need a doc who will work with you.  I have a dopey doc and I just told him how it has to be after I had such a hard time doing a fast taper for a bit and then going c/t.  I just about lost my mind.  I wanted this over with fast.  Then I thought again.  I need to be able to function.  I am new but the crossing over from Clonazepam is easy.  I have been tired but that's nice at night.  I am actually sleeping.  I am tired during the day but no anxiety or anything like that.  Ashton's model is really just a one fits all method.  You can taper to your lifestyle.  I took the benzo for insomnia so I am much more interested in getting rid of the morning and afternoon first.  I am just listening to my body to see what it needs.  Right now I am in a mix of both clon/valium.  Also, I like the fact that it comes in liquid form for when you reach down to 5mg of valium.  So far it's good but I am going to start a thread here to see how the method is working as time goes on. 

good luck what ever method you use.

Lisa