? on ativan to valium taper.

[On...]

I Started week one in the ashton taper adding 5 mgs of valium to 1/2 mg of ativan last night...I didnt get much sleep the night before and had to get up at 6am so i was asleep by 10.00 pm..I think the valium helped me to get to sleep early.Normally missing sleep i wouldnt be sleeping that early.

My question is do you think i can cut out the 1/2 ativan at night now?...Im wanting to do this a little faster than the ashton method but i dont want any more withdrawls than i already have.Also what about the rest of the taper plan. Any advice would be appreciated.i just want off the rollercoaster.

I have been on ativan /clonopon for 22 yrs,ativan being the longest at 10yrs.2-1/2 day for a week and 2-4 day prior to that.Except when i went to 1/4for a day and had horrible withdrawls.

I Started week one in the ashton taper adding 5 mgs of valium to 1/2 mg of ativan last night...I didnt get much sleep the night before and had to get up at 6am so i was asleep by 10.00 pm..I think the valium helped me to get to sleep early.Normally missing sleep i wouldnt be sleeping that early.

My question is do you think i can cut out the 1/2 ativan at night now?...Im wanting to do this a little faster than the ashton method but i dont want any more withdrawls than i already have.Also what about the rest of the taper plan. Any advice would be appreciated.i just want off the rollercoaster.

I have been on ativan /clonopon for 22 yrs,ativan being the longest at 10yrs.2-1/2 day for a week and 2-4 day prior to that.Except when i went to 1/4for a day and had horrible withdrawls.

Hi OnMyPath,

firstly, it's great that you found a sensible way to get off benzos...congrats on doing that before getting into big time symptoms from too fast a taper

Can you clarify your doses of klonopin and ativan and the length of time on each?  I'm a bit confused when i read your last sentence about your benzo use history and current dose.

Nextly, even before you clarify, i would not recommend going too fast....IMO it only makes the benzo withdrawal ride worse...however you need to be your own judge of that.  Just note that 1/2 mg of adivan is still equivalent to a big dose of valium and cutting your ativan in half could really put you into a tail spin that you wont like at all.

It would be most helpful for you to provide the info i requested on time and dose, including present dose of all benzos and what dose you started your taper from

IMO, the length of time you've been on clonopin and ativan should make you cautious about tapering too fast...take your time, it's not a race and you can very likely end up on a roller coaster after your taper is done, especially if you go to fast.

I'm no expert so i think one of the Moderators or BB Staff will be along soon to give you some more help and advice.  I'm just speaking from experience where i went to fast after being on clonopin for many years and have had a lot of trouble and a big old horrible roller coaster ride that i'm not enjoying one bit.  Slow, steady and manageable is best.

Good luck and welcome to BB.

love, truck

Hi truck,well i cant really say for sure.Im gonna cal the doc and get the info.Ill get back when i have it.Thanks.

I am so PISSED.OMG i just called the p doc that gave me all this shit for 22 yrs and he will not tell me when i took what and for how long...I cant believe it.He said i can get my other doc to ask for it..I dont want to do that.Its MY info and I want it.

Im calmed down now.I called back and the secretary said i could have the doc call and ask for my dosages and how long on each so i might do that.I still dont know what the big deal is not wanting to give it to me.They said i could come in and sign a release and they would charge me to send me my records.

Hi OnMyPath,

All we really need to know is what you are currently taking. I'm not sure how you are doing your cross over. What amount of ativan did you start from, and what amount of Valium are you crossing over to? What are your doses of each at this time?  

Don't worry about old meds/doses/length.

Hi eljay,i am on day 2 of the ashton...1mg of ativan x2 and 1/2 valium 1/2 ativan at night .Prior i was prescibed 4 mg  of ativan daily, but didnt take that much..I was doing between 2-3 day sometimes even 1-1/2 day..I didnt know any better. The withdrawals have not been easy at times...I think i will wait awhile and then revisit down the road if i want to go a little faster...Thanks!

fyi,

you might want to remind your pdoc that he is breaking the law by withholding your medical records.  You can get a court order pretty easily if he won't hand them over.  I'm sure he knows this but probably thinks that you don't :)

Melissa when i called back the lady in office said that i could come in and sign a release form and i could PAY to get them.Well i would have to dr. 45 min to do that and i dont want to pay...Its all good as ljay? said i dont need to no when and how long on clonopin...I am glad to be done with them...I would go in every 6 weeks and he would weigh me and ask how im doing and thats it.I would be there 10min at the most just to get the meds.I think its pretty crazy that they gave me these for 22 yrs,and no nothing about withdrawal symptoms and sloww taper.

Ya it's just peachy the way they think everyone is just supposed to quit no problem. Makes me want to give them a :pokey:  I missed in your post that they agreed to give you the records.  It sounds like you are on your way to benzo freedom!  Good for you ! :yippee:

Melissa your little people just gave me a good chuckle thanks! :laugh: they really need to be psyching themselves.

Hi, OnMyPath.

I haven't studied your latest numbers for how much you are taking when but wanted to make a general comment about reducing the ativan while still in the process of crossing over the valium.  It can take a week or so for valium to build up to it's full strength in your blood while the ativan leaves fairly rapidly.  Unless  you are feeling unduly sleepy and drugged out from your current amounts, I think you'd be better off not cutting out the ativan dose for at least a week.  The equivalencies aren't exact and you might find you don't need as much ativan now but I think it's too soon to know for sure.  Hope this makes sense.

So far so good...The first night i was very sleepy on 1/2 v...But now i seem to be ok.What i have noticed many of my present withdrawals i had are going away,because i guess i stabilized myself going to 3 a day instead of less.

I still get hot and the sweats and don't have much energy but the body aches and muscle spasms are gone for now.So i am happy with the taper so far.How you doing?

me ? I am all beat up, woke up with my hand numb today that's a new one...still have a long way to go.

sundazed

I sure hope my taper goes smoother than some i have read about here..My doc told me about 2 supplements to take to help it...I'm gonna post about them on the alternative board.Maybe they can help.

• 4 weeks later...