New doc follows Ashton, going to cross over.....high dose...Question

[Li...]

I finally found a doc close enough to me that follows ashton and will cross me over to valium.  I'm a bit concerned because i'm on 4mg k and the cross over will be to 80mgs V.

I don't see many posts here of people that have done this. 

My total time on 4mg K is .... 1 month in Nov 09, and the last 40 days.

My previous regular dose was 3mgs k for many years.

When my primary tapered me after nov 09, i went from 4mg to 3mg in 2 weeks (dec 09) then from 3mg to 2mg (jan 2010)...and that's when things went bad.

I reinstated since easter, gradually rising my dose from 2mgs to 4mgs...i'm doing okay mentally...and i function better...can care for myself, cook, eat, talk to family.  I have some bad physical sx of constant vibrations everywhere.

I don't know how much of any of this is relevant.  I'm just curious about one thing:

do you ever see buddies cross at such a high dose?  I don't see any signatures or posts for 80mg k cross over.  I'm a bit scared.

should i be concerned about anything?  i understand that this doc is quite good and is very experienced and likes to go very slowly.

truck

Hi Truck,

From feedback we've received from members here,  most doctors will nearly never prescibe such a large Valium dose. It's usually suggested to reduce the original benzodiazepine to a more manageable dose before crossing over. 80mg Valium is an incredibly high amount. It effects everyone differently, but that amount may give you more side effects than 4mg klon. I believe Dr. Ashton has more recently suggested starting a Valium taper at under 50mg. That would mean tapering to under 2.5mg klonopin before crossing over. 

Hi Truck,

I found this in the Ashton Manual because one of our newer members (Sanibel) is now crossing over from 3 mgs of Klonopin.  She's finding she's very sleepy, so it's important to take into account what Dr Ashton says.  She also indicates that equivalencies have many variables for each person depending on age, lifestyle and general health, so the doses aren't set in stone.  I feel it will be important for you to adjust accordingly as you enter into this.

If, however, you are on a high dose, such as 6mg alprazolam (equivalent to 120mg diazepam), you may need to undertake some reduction while switching over, and may need to switch only part of the dosage at a time (see Schedule 1). The aim is to find a dose of diazepam which largely prevents withdrawal symptoms but is not so excessive as to make you sleepy.

thanks for the replies

this doc has a lot of experience with benzos and ashton so i am sure he will do something appropriate

nothing could be worse then the hell i've lived in since i landed here at 2mgs and was told that 2mgs drop in 2months was okay.

and now the constant vibs everywhere are hell, so i am gonna get help from a doc that has a clue

perhaps in the UK they don't give out so much k and so they don't cross over that much k...we will see.

love, truck

Hi Truck,

It's been a little while since I posted on here, but I have been lurking in the shadows.  I was also on 4 mg. of klonopin for 10 years after the death of my  baby daughter.  I developed a tolerance really quickly and have been in tolerance withdrawl for many years and did not know it.  I guess it is a familiar story.  Anyways,  my doctor also would not give me 80 mg of valium even though I was taking the equavalent of valium. I tapered directly off of the klonopin by taking dry cuts and then crossed over to the 60 mg. of klonopin. I really did not have any problems with the crossover at all. I just kept at it sure and steady .  I went strictly by the Ashton manual and did the 2 week cuts exactly as she suggested.  Some say that I went to quickly as I had a very difficult taper, but I am not all that patient/.  You can do it too !!  Ginia

Hi Truck,

I just read your problem here.  At first my doctor said I was crazy that 1mg of klon = 20 mg of valium.  I showed him the paperwork I had including the Ashton manual which has a very slow crossover/taper to valium.  Well somehow I was convincing and he gave me a big bottle of valium and klon and said he wants to see me every 3 weeks.  (for what, not sure since I am on my own on this. lol)  Anyway, I am very new and just started it.  I found that after a c/t of 2mg of Xanax and 3mg of Klon, it was no way to live.  I left the Xanax and got back on the 3mg of klon and am tapering it slowly as the schedule says to valium(diazepam).  No anxiety or panic or anything even without the Xanax for 2 1/2 weeks.  I think that part is okay.  But as Pamster said, I am tired in the morning.  I am supposed to do the switch as Ashton writes every 1-2 weeks.  I feel okay and even went out today to the grocery store, the mall, and a book store so the tiredness is wearing off a bit.  Since I am getting used to it, I am going to do 1 week changes until I feel effects and then take it a tiny bit slower.  Are you on 3mg klon now?  The schedule is at http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s6    I am not telling you that this is right for everyone but you won't be switching all over to the valium at once.  Just look down the list until it says "for 3mg of klon taper" and just get a feel for what it is.  You can always taper from the klon but this longer half life is supposed to make it easier.  And I mean supposed to...............I certainly don't have the answers,  I just thought it might be something you want to read to check it out.  Your doc won't have to give you 60mg of valium per day because you will be tapering. 

I hope you are well.

Lisa