Help with the Xanax to Valium cross over

[...]

I am looking for confirmation that the taper schedule that I am going to use is feasible. I was taking .5 mg of Xanax twice a day. I understand from the Ashton method that the cross over to Valium should not be rushed and should take approximately one month. My first week of tapering I have taken .25mg of Xanax at 9:30 AM, .25mg at 3:30 PM and .25mg of Xanax and 5mg of Valium at 9:30 PM. I think I should begin my second week of cross over by switching the 9:30 AM dose of Xanax to 5 mg of Valium. The third week switching the Xanax dose at night to all Valium (which will be 10mg). And the fourth week by eliminating all Xanax doses to Valium. And then begin a slow taper. I would really like some advice as to the definition of what a slow taper is both time wise and dosage wise and if I'm approaching this method correctly.

Thanks

Hi,

It appears you have a pretty good handle on the taper.  I do not have any direct experience with a crossover...but from what I have read.....it appears that you are covering the bases when it comes to crossing over slowly...and slowly substituting....in stages...rather than all at one time....

I think one of the most important things when crossing over is to make sure that the substitution is at an equal amount of V equivalent.....and if we follow Ashton's guidelines that is 20mg Valium per 1 mg of Xanax....it appears that you have this covered as well.

As far as the definition of a slow taper..that does vary...I am doing what I consider a slow taper...I am cutting slightly above a one half mg of Valium equivalent per week.....I am tapering directly from Klonopin...at a rate of .03mg a week...it takes me roughly three weeks to cut the equivalent of one milligram of Valium...I am nearing the end of my taper and this has worked well for me.....some believe it is too slow..others believe it is too fast..I think the key is finding a rate that works for you....I have seen some examples of Ashton's withdrawal schedule (found in the Ashton Manual...a good read....btw if you haven't read it)...and in many of those examples it appears that people cut 1mg every week to two weeks...and tend to slow down during the second half of the taper...this is just an example..however.....and as Colin would say, "Your milegage may vary."

I am sure you will get some more good information as more buddies comment....hopefully, I at least gave you a starting point...and some information to build on....I wish you well with your taper...it sounds like you are already armed with the knowledge it takes to be successful...:)

TC

Hi,

Your substitution plan seems OK to me. It can be tricky switching, so allow yourself more time if you feel you need it (you might switch just 0.125mg Xanax for 2.5mg Valium if you find your present substitution regimen too tough).

It looks like you are aiming to be on 20mg Valium per day when you have finished crossing over. Most of our members would make cuts of 1-2mg from a dose of 20mg Valium. However, you probably should be making cuts of just 1mg when your dose is much below 20mg, and cuts of just 0.5mg when your dose dips much below 10mg. I can't be exact because it depends upon the individual.

Most of our members allow 1-2 weeks between such cuts, but your milage may vary. Adjust the size and frequency of cuts according to how you react.

It sounds like you are on your way with a good tapering schedule.  Keep popping in and you will find good support here on BB.

Patty  xo