Need cross-over plan

[Li...]

Can anyone help and set up a cross-over plan from 6 mg lexotanil to diazepam for me? (With liquid Diazepam)

Thanks,

Lizzie

I take all 6 mg in the a.m. Beeper.

Wow.  I'm surprised you don't get interdose withdrawals doing that.  Lexotan is a short-acting benzo, much like the one I was on, lorazepam (ativan) which I took at least 3x/day.

I suppose I'd try replacing 2mg Lexotan with 4mg valium every week or two until I was totally on valium (about 12mg/day).  So the first week you'd take 4mg Lexotan + 4mg valium.  If you feel okay after a week, make the next substitution so you are taking 2mg Lexotan + 8mg valium and finally all valium (12mg).  You might want to wait 10-14 days between substitutions since valium takes a lot longer to build up in your system than Lexotan.  Also, you may find that you feel more sedated when you add in the valium and don't need the full amount indicated by the equivalency chart (5 mg Lexotan = 10 mg valium).  You can adjust all of this depending on how you are feeling.

Any questions, just ask.  Also, this is just my best guess of how to do this so you may want to wait on some other opinions.  Good luck.  :thumbsup:

Dumb question maybe - but how could I tell if I am having interdose w/d? Have been having headaches lately, but I never had them "during" w/d so I dont think its from that.

There are NO dumb questions, Lizzie.  ;)  In general, if you get much more symptomatic and hour or two before your next dose, that might be interdose withdrawal, meaning the last dose wore off before you were due to take the next one.  Sometimes happens with benzos that have a short half-life.  One of the advantages of valium's long half-life is that you can take it just 1/day and it will last throughout the day.  Headaches can be a w/d symptom but if they aren't only occuring before your next dose, they are probably not an indication of interdose withdrawal.  Hope this makes sense.

You might want to wait 10-14 days between substitutions since valium takes a lot longer to build up in your system than Lexotan.

Yes, this is sooo true!! This was the mistake I made the last time I tried to cross-over. I did an immediate cross-over - I didnt know better to do it slowly.

Thanks for the plan, it sounds sensible! I will make this attempt (if my doc will support me with Valium).

Thanks again.

Oh and I read somewhere that the equivalent of 6 mg Bromazepam (or Lexotan) is 10 mg Valium. So would I then do:

The first week: 3mg Lexotan + 5mg valium.

After 1-2 weeks: 1.5 mg Lexotan + 7.5 mg valium

And finally all Valium.

Would that be correct? (I am horrible in math!)

• 2 weeks later...
Best I can tell, you got it just right! Pretty impressive given the odd equivalence numbers.  ;)