From xanax to clonazepam

[wa...]

There's another topic that i wrote earlier about possibly swithcing to diazepam. The more i think of this, the more i feel that clonazepam is better for me. Right now stabilizing from dose correction and am at 1.9375mg xanax total (1mg XR and rest regular).

Called my doctor and asked if i could do the switch to clonazepam due to trouble tapering xanax. Actually i have trouble with xanax even if im not tapering, tolerance wd and interdose wd. She said its ok and suggested a direct crossover. I dont think i can do it like that, i will have terrible wd sx from xanax. She said that the other benzo (clonazepam) would prevent me from having wd sx. I dont believe her  ::)

Let me tell u what happened to me last friday. I had forgotten my morning xanax XR (0.5mg) since its not in my doser. At 3pm i was ready to call an ambulance: scalp in fire, all numb, dizzy, objects appearing small and weird. I was terrified. I managed to correct my mistake by regular xanax, but i still get shivers thinking about the sx i got. So my physical dependency is quite strong and that's why im so scared of crossover. My doctor was very amazed when i told her about this incident.

Im not ready to do the crossover yet, but i will do it.

Hoping to hear from people who have switched from xanax to clonazepam. How should i do it to minimize problems and sx?

Hey wantalife,

I'm sorry I havn't been around more.  Life outside of the forum has thrown me a few curve balls.

I crossed over from 1.5-2mg of Xanax, to 2mg of Klonopin very successfully.  At first I was put on 1.5mg of Klonopin, and was using small doses of Xanax prn.  When the dr found out, he upped me to 2mg Klonopin and from that point on, I started having occasional windows of feeling better than I had in a couple years!!  I stayed on the Klonopin probably 2-3 weeks and then started my taper.

The link to my taper is in my signature box below if you need an idea for a schedule. The Klonopin for me, was a life saver! 

Hope your crossover goes as well as mine did!  :)

Hello,

thank u lady, i think your answer was just what i needed to keep me going. Im a mess, feeling very tired, depressed - just on the edge. My doctor will call on monday and we're gonna talk more about the switch.

If you can follow in Lady's footsteps, you'll have a smooth taper.  You can do this, it's all about just putting one foot in front of the other and passing the time until you're better.  I hope your conversation with your Dr goes well.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I thought i might update u guys on my substitution situation. Last week i switched my regular xanax pills to klonopin so now i take 0.375mg of klonopin 3 times a day and 0.5mg xanax XR 2 times a day. I'm hoping no more interdose symptoms for me.

Klonopin has made me more tired and more depressed. Hoping those will decrease as more time passes.

I dont really know what to do with xanax XR. My doctor suggested that i could start tapering k and worry about xanax later. I dont even know when i'll be ready to start tapering (if ever). Depression is very bad right now, maybe increased by PMS.

Doctor doesnt agree that my illness is prolongued and become worse and worse because of medication (surprise, surprise!) I find this situation very frustrating and hopeless.

Hi wantalife,

My pdoc just told me this week that aching and burning had nothing to do with my .25 ativan cut.    I just don't think they realize what we go through.  His explanation to me is that "you haven't been on that long and your dose is so low I don't think that is why you have burning skin"  You will get through this.  Hang inthere.