Xanax to Valium Crossover

[ki...]

Found new dr. to do Ashton crossover. Started at 3mg/Alprazolam, crossing over to Diazepam.

Morn                            Aft                                  Eve                                    Night                                      V equiv.

Week 0 -    1mg X                    .5mg X                          .5mg X                            1mg X                                        60

Week 1 -    1mg X                    .5mg X                            .5mg X                          .5mg X + 10 mg Diazepam                60

Week 2 -  .25mg X + 10mg V      .25mg X + 10mg V            .25mg X + 10mg V            20mg V                                        65

Week 3 -  .25mg X + 10mg V        10 V                              .25mg X + 10mg V          20mg V                                        60 

Does this sound right?

I just completed week 1, do you think I'll have any problem? I'm worried about the morning dosage for week 2. 

Thanks for any input.

~Kim

I"m having a hard time reading your graph! It's me, not you, I'm sure. I'll have Colin look at it if no one else replies before that.

Hi Kimba,

Professor Ashton suggests that when on a large dose of a potent benzo (like Xanax (alprazolam)), you should probably taper down your dose before making the substitution. If your doctor is fine prescribing 60mg Valium, then I guess this is fine, but many doctors are leery of prescribing such doses of Valium. I guess I'm posting these remarks more for others reading this thread, those whose doctor is unwilling to prescribe Valium in the region of 60mg per day.

Your substitution schedule seems fine, but maybe a little fast. So long as there is some flexibility over when you make new substitutions, you should be fine.

Thanks Colin,

I am actually feeling a little better today on the crossover. Thankfully my doc has agreed to follow the protocol. After this week, I think he's going to try to reduce my dosage by the equivalent of 5 mg of valium per week for awhile, if everything goes OK. I'm sure he'll let me hold another week if and when needed. He always asks for my input on these things. He actually called me today to see how I was doing  :)

I was so blessed to have found him.

Hope all is well with you,

and thanks for being there!

~Kim

• 4 weeks later...

Started at 3mg/Alprazolam, currently at Diazepam 40 mg./day. (Week 6)

Morning - 10 mg

Noon -    10 mg

Evening -  5 mg

Night -    15 mg.

May 18th I go down to 35 mg/day. (dropping my noon dose to 5 mg.)

I am always tired and dazed with no interest in doing things. I sleep about 9 hours a night, then have 2 naps during the day. I already dropped 5 mg (off-schedule, but with docs knowledge) earlier in the taper. I am afraid to do it again for fear of all the sx I've experienced right out of detox, and all the sx I've been reading about here.

Should I stick to my schedule, or should I try another (off-schedule) 5 mg taper on my own. I see the doc on Monday, maybe he can give me a script for the 5 mg or 2 mg tabs. (currently getting 10 mg tabs) If I do try a cut, which dosage should I attempt?

I guess I've been lucky so far with sx, and feel kinda guilty and a wuss that I'm not that bad.

I know everyone says slow, slow, slow.

Thanks for any experiences or input,

Kim  :smitten:

If you've been feeling pretty much the same way since you completed your crossover, it could be that you have been on too much valium.  The equivalencies between benzos is variable between people and different sources give different amounts.  Prof Ashton adjusted her patient's valium doses during their crossover depending on their particular symptoms.  We usually don't have that kind of knowledgeable medical support. 

Valium doesn't need to be taken more than 2x/day maximum so you could safely take your next reductions from your noon or evening doses.  And please don't feel guilty about not feeling bad.  Just feel lucky.  ;)

Thanks Beeper,

I cut my noon dose to 5 mgs, and am feeling better. Less tired, but not full of energy.  :yippee:

I'll talk to my doc about dosage frequency, which makes sense.

But it feels kinda like a security blanket, knowing my next dose is not to far away - psycological, I guess.

The only sx I'm currently having are cog fog, coordination and balance off, occasional anxiety and occasional depression. Slight agoraphobia - can drive about a 5 mile radius from my home now.

This isn't bad at all, considering the sx I had when I got out of detox - never want to feel that again!  :'(

Feeling lucky so far!

With that cold turkey under your belt you have a great measuring stick for your symptoms.  ;)  You know how bad it can be so if it's less than that, you can say it's not too bad.  ;)