TO COLIN, RE: ASHTON/VALIUM

[mo...]

Hi Colin,

I was wondering if you could address this question.

I used the Ashton switchover/taper from Klonopin, as it sounded like a sensible protocol.

I've had some feedback recently, that suggested by a variety of individuals, that Valium can cause more depression than Klonopin.

As my primary problem from the get go has been depression, I was upset to learn of this, after the fact.

To your knowledge, does Valium cause more depression than Klonopin?

If so, why is this?

I know there are valuable reasons for using Valium, but it is upsetting for me to hear this.

I would have had my doc help me with compounding Klonopin for tapering, or the other methods (liquid), for coming off of it.

Basically, would just like to find out if there is any basis/documentation, to Valium being more depressing?

Thanks so much,

mp

Hi Mourningperson,

Frankly, I'm probably not the best person to ask about this. I have not taken Valium, and have never suffered from depression. Yes, there have been some posts about Valium being potentially more depressing than other benzodiazepines, but I suspect that this is due to the more sedating effects of Valium (that could be interpretted as "depression"). My guess is that it is more to do sedation, and this should wear off over time. Honestly though, I could be way off the mark.

At the end of the day, it is how you are affected that's important. If the switch is working well for you, then don't worry about it.

Hopefully some other members will post their thoughts on this matter.

• 3 weeks later...

dear mp

i recently crossed over from klonopin to valium. i definitely felt sedated at first and a bit more depressed than before the crossover. so i reduced the valium thinking my equivalent (.5K = 10V) is different than ashton manual suggests.  i have been on 20mg valium for a week now and no klonopin. i am quite tired.  i have been told by others on the forum that this is a normal withdrawal symptom. i'm going to stay the course because i'm coping okay and don't want to go backwards. good luck. violet.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a graduate of Ashtons method. At first after I'd made all the substitutions, I did feel quite lethargic and perhaps depressed as well. My solution was simply to reduce the dosage I was taking over the course of about 5 days. After doing this, I felt so much better and this issue was never a problem for me again during my taper. Hope this helps!

Best wishes for you and hope your taper goes well!!