ASHTON TAPER- MID DAY TAPER CUT FIRST ????

[mo...]

Hi,

my husband told me that the Ashton Manual says to make the first cut during the mid day.

I'm on approx. 35 mg of Diazepam (actually came down 7% 7 days ago - at night).

I take 10 mg in the a.m.,

10 mg in the afternoon,

and 1 1/4 at bedtime.

Does anyone know why she suggests the daytime cut?

It seems that that's when you'd need it the most - at first, at least......

It seems that you wouldn't notice the night time cut as much.

I am on 15 mg of Remeron for sleep also.

Thanks so much,

mp

Hi, Mp.

This is probably what he's referring to from The Ashton Manual:

"Diazepam is very slowly eliminated and needs only, at most, twice daily administration to achieve smooth blood concentrations. If you are taking benzodiazepines three or four times a day it is advisable to space out your dosage to twice daily once you are on diazepam. The less often you take tablets the less your day will revolve around your medication."

She also says:

"Design the schedule around your own symptoms. For example, if insomnia is a major problem, take most of your dosage at bedtime; if getting out of the house in the morning is a difficulty, take some of the dose first thing (but not a large enough dose to make you sleepy or incompetent at driving!)."

Thanks Beeper,

I appreciate this and your previous post to me.

Sorry I hadn't responded, but have been feeling terrible.

With love,

mp

No problem, mp.  :thumbsup: I'm sorry you are feeling so bad.  :( I'm just glad you acknowledged my posts.  I think some people don't even read what people write sometimes or else they do read them but ignore the information.  :idiot: 

Hi mp,

Just thought I'd chime in with some food for thought:

I used Ashton's method for substitution/withdrawl. I can recall that of the 3 initial doses, I chose to eliminate the morning dose first. The reason why was simply that I did not like going to work feeling sapped. Insomnia and sleep distress was really an issue for me at this time, so I left my bedtime dose alone. I was usually off work by 2:30pm and home by 3:00pm, so my afternoon dose was quite nice for an afternoon nap!

My suggestion would be to plan eliminating the dose that suits your schedule and lifestyle.

Hope this helps,

pangelingua