Pharmacist Roy Katz suspended by Minnesota Board of Pharmacy.

[52...]

[52...]

Pharmacist Roy Katz was suspended 10/31/2016 while the Minnesota Board continues an investigation of him.  The board has credible evidence that Katz engaged in inappropriate prescribing practices and was concerned enough to suspend him from practicing while they continue to investigate him.  The board staff is urging those who've been harmed by him to file a complaint which can bolster their case against him.  If you have been harmed or know anyone who has you may access an online complaint form on the Minnesota Board of Pharmacy website at mn.gov/boards/pharmacy.

Many of you may know Roy Katz as the long time pharmacist and consultant for Point of Return and Dr. Raymond Armstrong.  Katz bilked $3.2 million from Medicare/Medicaid in CT in 2008; had his license revoked there and was convicted of fraud in 2008.  Katz followed this up by setting up shop in Minnesota in 2010.  Oh yeah, Katz was disciplined by the Minnesota Board of Pharmacy in 2011 for failing to tell the Minnesota Board of that pesky CT conviction of Medicaid/Medicare fraud in CT.  I guess he forgot to mention it. 

Hi willdoit,

I was aware of Roy Katz's CT fraud conviction and a few posts on this forum stating that his suspensions did not contain any actual active drug in them causing c/t responses. I am not even attempting to insert myself into an argument about what is or is not possible in the medical community after what we've all been through with doctors, pharma, etc., but Dr. Armstrong and Roy Katz are currently helping me through a taper along with over 300 other people that they are weaning off of psychotropics; so this has the potential to affect quite a few of us who are already suffering enough. Do you have any links to any articles where we can learn more about what is actually happening? Any additional information you could provide would be awesome, and thanks for posting this.

To add but one voice to the choir, I feel compelled to state that after reading everything on the boards, I have found that when I needed help or had questions, he has been incredibly helpful, willing to take time to talk and address my concerns, return my phone calls promptly, and not push me in directions which made me feel uncomfortable. He even spoke to my GP on my behalf. Of course, this is just one experience, but I feel it necessary to communicate in light of everything that is happening. I do, however, find the Medicare conviction deplorable and had hoped that he had learned his lesson as human being. I decided to use his services based on the "trust but verify" method, having one of his suspensions tested via Eagle Analytical. It came back at 95.8% the stated concentration (with a  2% margin of error) which is within the +/- 10% variation allowed by law to compounding pharmacies. Since this first batch was sent after using 3/4 of the bottle, I was going to send in a second batch to be tested from a brand new bottle since user error (not shaking enough, etc) can cause slight variances in the concentration as the liquid is consumed. But in light of this news, it looks like I'll save my $160 since I won't have the option of using his suspensions for the rest of my taper. [sigh]

[75...]

I've been tapering with Roy and Dr Armstrong for a little under 3 years now and I've come from34 MGS of Valium to 9.69mgs!

They have been nothing but helpful and caring, I know of many others who are doing well.

I have chose to have my % lowered as time went on but it's working great - Why are people out to harm them????

[75...]

Hi willdoit,

I was aware of Roy Katz's CT fraud conviction and a few posts on this forum stating that his suspensions did not contain any actual active drug in them causing c/t responses. I am not even attempting to insert myself into an argument about what is or is not possible in the medical community after what we've all been through with doctors, pharma, etc., but Dr. Armstrong and Roy Katz are currently helping me through a taper along with over 300 other people that they are weaning off of psychotropics; so this has the potential to affect quite a few of us who are already suffering enough. Do you have any links to any articles where we can learn more about what is actually happening? Any additional information you could provide would be awesome, and thanks for posting this.

To add but one voice to the choir, I feel compelled to state that after reading everything on the boards, I have found that when I needed help or had questions, he has been incredibly helpful, willing to take time to talk and address my concerns, return my phone calls promptly, and not push me in directions which made me feel uncomfortable. He even spoke to my GP on my behalf. Of course, this is just one experience, but I feel it necessary to communicate in light of everything that is happening. I do, however, find the Medicare conviction deplorable and had hoped that he had learned his lesson as human being. I decided to use his services based on the "trust but verify" method, having one of his suspensions tested via Eagle Analytical. It came back at 95.8% the stated concentration (with a  2% margin of error) which is within the +/- 10% variation allowed by law to compounding pharmacies. Since this first batch was sent after using 3/4 of the bottle, I was going to send in a second batch to be tested from a brand new bottle since user error (not shaking enough, etc) can cause slight variances in the concentration as the liquid is consumed. But in light of this news, it looks like I'll save my $160 since I won't have the option of using his suspensions for the rest of my taper. [sigh]

I'm working with them also and doing just fine

[52...]
I am glad you are doing fine.  I'm posting this on behalf of those harmed by him.  The Minnesota Board of Pharmacy works to protect the public from harm, by taking these bold steps to suspend his license they are clearly concerned about public health. 

[75...]

I am glad you are doing fine.  I'm posting this on behalf of those harmed by him.  The Minnesota Board of Pharmacy works to protect the public from harm, by taking these bold steps to suspend his license they are clearly concerned about public health.

[/q

I know 7 people including myself who have been receiving compounds from Roy we are ALL doing well

I am positive Roy will be working through the weekend to have this all resolved

willdoit,

I think you were right to post this information. There's no such thing as too much information, and we can all make our own decisions based off of that information. I, like Cathy, know many people who have been helped by Dr. A and Roy, and in fact, Dr. A has been instrumental in setting up a support group here in my home city. I think we're just trying to add our experiences for fair, balanced reporting :-).

Thanks again

[2c...]

Here's a link to what's on the board's website related to Katz suspension.

https://bopgl.hlb.state.mn.us/GLSuiteWeb/Clients/MNBOPharm/Public/LicenseeDetails.aspx

Shows me nothing

You have to enter the name Roy Katz, which yields the following:

License/Registration Verification as of November 4, 2016 for

Roy David Katz

Individual  Information

Name Roy David Katz

Address Richfield, MN 55423

License Information

License Type Pharmacist License

Category of Licensure 

License Number 119612

License Status Suspended

Original Issue Date 05/27/2009

Effective Date 12/28/2015

Expiration Date 02/28/2017

Disciplinary Action

Yes

[52...]
Thank you for posting the text LeslieAsh, I'm sorry my link didn't work as planned. :crazy:  Hopefully, this will clear the confusion. 

That you so much wildoit for the information! It is upsetting that Roy Katz has harmed so many people. I have been harmed by several doctors and so understand how life-changing and devastating it can be. I am not here to defend what he did but just to share my experiences. 

Even though I was aware of Roy Katz's CT fraud conviction I decided to use his services out of desperation and after unsuccessfully trying other compounding pharmacies.  I have had nothing but positive experiences with Roy.  I came to him with severe insomnia, constant panic attacks and serious suicidal thoughts from drug interactions and side effects from multiple medications (Prilosec, Nortriptyline and Clonazepam).With the help of a new doctor I tapered off all drugs except the Clonazepam (K) and was still unstable. My doctor did multiple tests and found I was low in progesterone. I could not tolerate the bio-identical progesterone at other compounding pharmacies and they only offered smaller K capsules which caused severe withdrawal effects. Roy Katz gave me tiny doses of progesterone which helped me stabilize. We tried a small up-dose of the K which made my symptoms worse and so I immediately decreased the dose. My doctor and Roy Katz believe I may be having paradoxical effects. My experience with the small up-dose gave me the confidence to start the taper 6 months ago. The taper has been going well and I have tolerable withdrawal effects (stomach problems, increased pain and insomnia) but no longer have the intolerable constant panic attacks and suicidal thoughts. 

Does anyone know of other compounding pharmacies that offer liquid Clonazepam? I heard that there was one in Southern California. I prefer not to make my own and do not want to go into CT when my bottle runs out.

I've worked with a number of compounding pharmacies.  Some are very good, it's a difficult business to get right. 

I can recommend ********.  They are in *********, but go out of their way to help their patients have good results with therapy.  The pharmacist there has a few different masters degrees, very smart.  They are in *******, but licensed in most states and will ship for free if you are on their refill program.

Good luck!

Edit: commercial promotion info removed per administrators' decision

I've worked with a number of compounding pharmacies.  Some are very good, it's a difficult business to get right. 

I can recommend ********.  They are in *********, but go out of their way to help their patients have good results with therapy.  The pharmacist there has a few different masters degrees, very smart.  They are in *******, but licensed in most states and will ship for free if you are on their refill program.

Good luck!

Edit: commercial promotion info removed per administrators' decision

Hello pmkryan,

You were warned when you registered today that commercial promotion of products and services is against the rules on this forum, so per administrators' decision I've removed all the information about this pharmacy.  Do not promote this business any further, or we may be forced to pre-approve your posts on this forum.  This is from our Rules and Guidelines:

You may not post advertising or promotional content at this forum. Helpful, relevant links are welcome and appreciated, but posting links for the purposes of promotion of products and services is not allowed.

megan918

Administrator

• 3 weeks later...

I have been harmed by Roy.  I was thrown into a CT, and have been in agony ever since.  It is horrible and has caused unneccsary suffering for myself and my family. 

• 6 years later...
clearly this is an old post but I wanted to hop in here and say it was thanks to roy and dr armstrong (RIP) that helped me with my taper 5 yrs ago...