Withdrawl off several Benzo's using the tapering system/How?

[fo...]

Currently on 2mg of hypnodorm and roughly 20mgs of valium a day

How do i work out a tapering system when im using 2 seperate drugs ( well tha same ones really, if you know what i mean )

Cheers.

J

Welcome to BB.  A moderator will be with you soon to answer your question.  I do know that it is recommended to cut 10% of your daily dose every 7 to 14 days and it is advisable to taper off from one med at a time.  Could you give us more info of how long you have been on these meds and if you are experiencing any symptoms?  Try to read the Ashton Manual as this will give you all the info you need about the tapering process.  Best wishes.

Patty  xo

Hello forthebirds,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  First let me tell you that tapering from two drugs can be done.  I don't have personal experience, but I've seen many members do it and have been successful. 

You've posted to the right thread with your question, I'm sure Colin will stop by shortly with some answers to your questions.  But, I just wanted to say welcome. 

Have you read the Ashton Manual, it's a great read with good information about tapers, equivalencies and withdrawal symptoms. http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

Feel free to look around, make yourself at home.

Pam

Hi forthebirds,

I got your PM, thought I'd talk to you here if you don't mind?  Since I'm not very familiar with the drugs you're currently taking it will help if we can get input from other people.

Had to Google the Hypnodorm it's in the Flunitrazepam family?  I see it's a hypnotic sedative, a derivitive of benzodiazepines? 

I think it will be best if we get some other folks involved, hang on we'll get some input for your questions.

Pam

Hi forthebirds,

2mg hypnodorm (rohypnal) is roughly equivalent to 20mg valium.

Anyway, as far as tapering, hypnodorm has the same half life as valium. As stoney said, it's best to taper off one drug at a time. Much simpler. No need to deal with a cross over. You may want to reduce the hypnodorm first as the smaller mg pills make it more potent and may be better dealt with first. It's up to you though, of course.

For the hpynodorm, what mg pills do you have? If it's 1mg, (I think that's all they come as?) you can reduce by a quarter pill every week or two. If this becomes too difficult at the lower doses, we can always help you with a liquid titration. This entails mixing your pill with a liquid and reducing small daily amounts.

As for 20mg valium, you can reduce by 1 to 2mg every week or two. As you get lower, the cuts can be reduced. It's best if you have 2mg valium pills for your taper, at least as you get lower.

Remember, all of this can be adjusted(size of cuts, speed of your taper) as you go, depending on how you are feeling.

Take care, welcome to the forum.  :)