Gratitude Support Group

[MT...]

What we're going through is such a dark, difficult process. I think, in the midst of this, it's helpful to pry our minds away from how badly it stinks to what is going right, no matter how tiny those things are. I find it lightens the darkness just a bit. Another BB and I have been writing and sharing 3 things each day with the other that we are thankful for and I thought I'd open this up so more people can participate. Perhaps we can bear the suckatude more easily if we share not only our sorrows but also our little triumphs. So here goes.

For today I'm thankful for:

--Making it through my work week.

--Having a few meaningful interactions with carbon-based human lifeforms.

--Not feeling the burning skin over my entire body--less surface area is affected today.

May tomorrow be a brighter day for each and every one of you. I'm thankful for you too.

edit: sp/title

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [MT...]

• [no...]

• [be...]

• [Ja...]

Top Posters In This Topic

very positive and uplifting thread  :smitten:

im thankful for:

bigest miracle in my life- my daughter...

my destiny that its me and no another relative and loved one that is going through this HELL...

hope that maybe one day i will feel reality bliss...

life lessons that unfolded ONLY going through this inhuman experience...

peace

and liberation

v

Children are a miracle. I too often think I'm relieved that it's me not someone else in my life going through this. When I'm awake at night I feel thankful that others in the house are sleeping. Sometimes that takes some effort but it would super stink for there to be more than one insomniac under one roof.

[4e...]

Children are a miracle. I too often think I'm relieved that it's me not someone else in my life going through this. When I'm awake at night I feel thankful that others in the house are sleeping. Sometimes that takes some effort but it would super stink for there to be more than one insomniac under one roof.

That's a good thought MT. I always think that there are others worse off than me, and surely I can do this. I have 2 legs, I can see, and hear. I can move.  :thumbsup:

I'm grateful for the supportive friends I do have.  The fact that we know this has an end to it and we do heal.  And that my wife and kids have supported me even though it's hard.

very positive and uplifting thread  :smitten:

im thankful for:

bigest miracle in my life- my daughter...

my destiny that its me and no another relative and loved one that is going through this HELL...

hope that maybe one day i will feel reality bliss...

life lessons that unfolded ONLY going through this inhuman experience...

peace

and liberation

v

Hi Valisisa:

That was a very nice post of yours. But I highlighted one of them, and if it were me, I would change it to: My destiny that's its me and no other relative or loved one OR EMENY that is going through this  HELL.

:smitten:

Bets

I so agree with you Benzo girl. This isn't anything to even wish on an enemy.

Today I'm thankful for what I heard on a CD I was listening to by Pema Chodron on "Smiling at Fear." She was talking about working with that part of our minds that does the "I can't do it" mantra (my brain has that one down!) Her teacher advised saying to yourself, "I don't know how yet but I CAN do it." I like that. Sometimes just the "I can do it" feels false but this phrase covers that. I also use, "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can" to cheer myself on. I may have a whiny brain but I can fight back ;D

Wonderful Idea!!! :)So thankful for BBS. My husband was listening to me read thru some posts today and he said, "I can see that reading through that really helps to relieve some of your anxiety." He could see the relief on my face and sometimes even a smile or a chuckle. So I am truly grateful to everyone who posts. It doesn't even matter whether I am reading something that is relative to me at the time. There is always good information and a tidbit that I take away that I know can help me in some way. :smitten:

I so agree with you Benzo girl. This isn't anything to even wish on an enemy.

Today I'm thankful for what I heard on a CD I was listening to by Pema Chodron on "Smiling at Fear." She was talking about working with that part of our minds that does the "I can't do it" mantra (my brain has that one down!) Her teacher advised saying to yourself, "I don't know how yet but I CAN do it." I like that. Sometimes just the "I can do it" feels false but this phrase covers that. I also use, "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can" to cheer myself on. I may have a whiny brain but I can fight back ;D

That's the most important part......

:thumbsup:

Bets.

I have a story for this thread.

Last night one of our clients (I work at a care home for schizophrenics) told me he was feeling like his life has been a failure. I gave him my spiel about how accomplishments and attaining monetary wealth don't necessarily equate to success in life. And that being able to live in the present and be happy with what that is, is success. Then I gave him concrete examples of how he's done that in his own life. After our chat, he thanked me and told me I really helped him and he was sincere. There's no better feeling that I can think of, knowing I helped him. I'm thankful for that feeling.

That's so true, Wonder. It feels good to help someone and get the heck out of our own heads. Having a sense of meaning and purpose is powerful. It reminds me of this Hillel quote: "If I am not for myself who is for me? If I'm only for myself, what am I. If not now when?"

I'm thankful for a miniwindow but also for the many lessons that w/d is teaching me about patience, compassion, grace and love for others and self. I fail a lot but I've learned a lot about getting back up when I fall. We all are learning that one :smitten:

That's so true, Wonder. It feels good to help someone and get the heck out of our own heads. Having a sense of meaning and purpose is powerful. It reminds me of this Hillel quote: "If I am not for myself who is for me? If I'm only for myself, what am I. If not now when?"

I'm thankful for a miniwindow but also for the many lessons that w/d is teaching me about patience, compassion, grace and love for others and self. I fail a lot but I've learned a lot about getting back up when I fall. We all are learning that one :smitten:

Yes! Could not have said it better myself. So thankful for those lessons.

I have a story for this thread.

Last night one of our clients (I work at a care home for schizophrenics) told me he was feeling like his life has been a failure. I gave him my spiel about how accomplishments and attaining monetary wealth don't necessarily equate to success in life. And that being able to live in the present and be happy with what that is, is success. Then I gave him concrete examples of how he's done that in his own life. After our chat, he thanked me and told me I really helped him and he was sincere. There's no better feeling that I can think of, knowing I helped him. I'm thankful for that feeling.

Before my benzo ordeal, all I was about was accomplishments and attaining wealth.  This ordeal has opened my eyes immensely.  Well said Nova.

All I was about was work and self image and constantly saving money and going on no vacations.  I've learned so much from this ordeal.

Arcade - It's amazing how many ways we try to avoid living in the present. Work can be one of them if we let it get out of control. I'm glad you've gotten this lesson. There are many good things to come of this experience I think.

I'm so thankful I found surfing as a way to be in the present.

I'm also thankful for my beautiful 4 year old niece.

Last, I'm thankful for this board. Truly saved me.

Arcade - It's amazing how many ways we try to avoid living in the present. Work can be one of them if we let it get out of control. I'm glad you've gotten this lesson. There are many good things to come of this experience I think.

I'm so thankful I found surfing as a way to be in the present.

I'm also thankful for my beautiful 4 year old niece.

Last, I'm thankful for this board. Truly saved me.

It was all about saving money and retiring early.  This will now change to living in the present, surviving this and enjoying every window I get.  Once healed I'll be looking at life from whole new perspective. 

I found this on a site about the present moment: "Every moment is enormous, and it is all we have. Our life is a path of learning to wake up before we die."

— Natalie Goldberg in Long Quiet Highway

It seems we're all talking about benzo wd helping us wake up before we die, to right now. So maybe there are some brutal times that we wake up to but at least we're AWAKE and present. OK, not constantly because sometimes I just need to zone out and be distracted, but we're freeing ourselves from the fog of benzos.

I'm grateful that the Game of Thrones is back tonight! Oh I've missed all of them.

I'm also grateful for the beautiful day and being able to get out in it despite the fatigue.

Does anyone know how to fix the support group so it says "Support" instead of "Suppor?" Unless, maybe we want to go with the French pronunciation like Stephen Colbert and we could be the "Gratitude Suh-pore group" :laugh:

[4e...]

I dont know how to fix it, but I thought you meant Supper!  :laugh:

I love the quote you posted. Im sending it to my college kid. I send him quotes alot, and he also sends me quotes.

Im thankful he's no longer a surly, scowly teen, and turned into a polite, wonderful man!  :smitten:

I am grateful for many things, but right  here and now in this moment I am grateful for being grateful. :)

Nova xxxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

That's a good one, Nova. It's a blessing of sorts to be able to think of things to be thankful for. Monday often freak me out because I have a lot to do but here's how I go through it, saying these things in my head, "Thank you for helping me leave the house, thank you for helping food shop, thank you for getting me home, thank you for helping me put the groceries away..." and on and on. You could express the same thing with, "I'm grateful for being able to leave the house" and so on.

Great quote! It is an awakening of sorts, albeit a rude one! It seems the universe has a way of slamming you over the head when you don't get the hint at first.

I love game of thrones. It was a big sign for me that I was getting better when I could watch it. I couldn't watch any violence during my taper and some months after. I have to watch it tonight on the chrome cast so no spoilers!

Today I'm grateful for restful sleep, not being at work till Wed. night, and wild fresh jumbo prawns. Yum.